Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D1SC set up with IPS tune finished

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
Its an 8 rib 7.65 crank and 3.85 blower pulley.
Strange that combination is only giving you 10psi.
That is the same combination I am using on my 383, ported 317 heads, making 13.5 - 14 psi and 715 hp.
Maybe it is the cam difference, mine I think is a Cam Motion 224/240 620/612 116+4. Or the FMIC I have instead of the twin intercoolers.

I just would have expected a lot more boost out of your 347 with that pulley combination.

However, at the 10psi getting to your motor those are some stout numbers.

Good luck with keeping it alive. My stock engine didn't survive 3 months.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aster
Strange that combination is only giving you 10psi.
That is the same combination I am using on my 383, ported 317 heads, making 13.5 - 14 psi and 715 hp.
Maybe it is the cam difference, mine I think is a Cam Motion 224/240 620/612 116+4. Or the FMIC I have instead of the twin intercoolers.

I just would have expected a lot more boost out of your 347 with that pulley combination.

However, at the 10psi getting to your motor those are some stout numbers.

Good luck with keeping it alive. My stock engine didn't survive 3 months.
I am short shifting it right now so max boost it is seeing is 8psi at 5600rpm. Did you use meth on your stock bottom and it still didn't last? What was your driving style was you deep into 10psi a lot or just on occasion?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Launching!

Are you planning on running meth on your setup?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure right now, I am still doing research on it. I will probably get a smaller pulley for sure. I would like to run meth if the tune can make the engine live a long life, but I don't want to be going through a ton of it. I don't want to have to monitor and check the meth level constantly and be filling it up with every gas fill up. I went FI and not nitros because it is something that might run out. I could have went nitros and saved a ton of money but wasn't interested in the constant fill ups.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Aren't the meth systems boost activated? Surely if you lower the boost the engine life wont be as great a concern. What about tuning it for E85?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm also looking into methanol as well. I've heard it's a good safety measure especially on a stock shortblock. I plan to use my windsheild washer resevoir as my 'tank' so that has a low fluid sensor, which I should probably test first to make sure it works since I don't think I've gotten low on washer fluid in the 11 years I've had my car.

From what I understand, it is boost activated, so unless you do a lot of high rpm, high boost driving, it's not going to be used as quickly as you might think. I plan to buy it in 5-gallon cans, so having enough shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

^^ Yes ^^

02SOM's objections to a methanol system made me chuckle - sorry.

My Alky system only sprays the meth at WOT and uses the windshield washer reservoir. Fill it up once and it lasts a long time - or at least it does for me. It would depend on the driver's habits of course, but I think you'd either have to drive like a jackass or run 10 passes down the track every weekend to worry about the level constantly.

Yep, VP Racing 5 gallon can of M1 and you are set.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

I am short shifting it right now so max boost it is seeing is 8psi at 5600rpm. Did you use meth on your stock bottom and it still didn't last? What was your driving style was you deep into 10psi a lot or just on occasion?
No I wasn't using meth, and my motor was just on 9 psi. The biggest problem was the MAF tune then a really cold night with dense air. The MAF made the computer blind above 5200 RPM and I didn't shift until 6500.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm also looking into methanol as well. I've heard it's a good safety measure especially on a stock shortblock. I plan to use my windsheild washer resevoir as my 'tank' so that has a low fluid sensor, which I should probably test first to make sure it works since I don't think I've gotten low on washer fluid in the 11 years I've had my car.

From what I understand, it is boost activated, so unless you do a lot of high rpm, high boost driving, it's not going to be used as quickly as you might think. I plan to buy it in 5-gallon cans, so having enough shouldn't be an issue.
I am all for the added safety factor if I am not going through a lot of it. I like to do my fair share of high boost driving but the majority of its life will be spent under 5psi.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
^^ Yes ^^

02SOM's objections to a methanol system made me chuckle - sorry.

My Alky system only sprays the meth at WOT and uses the windshield washer reservoir. Fill it up once and it lasts a long time - or at least it does for me. It would depend on the driver's habits of course, but I think you'd either have to drive like a jackass or run 10 passes down the track every weekend to worry about the level constantly.

Yep, VP Racing 5 gallon can of M1 and you are set.
I am glad I could brighten our day . I understand that it is only sprayed at high rpm and boost and my understanding is you can program this based on the system. All that being said I still dont have any frame of reference on how long it lasts, you did shed some light on it though. I just dont want it to become something I always have to worry about. I take some long trips too such as power tour and I am a little worried about having to pack some away in the cab in a container to take with me. I guess I will understand how much I go through when I get the system put on. Sorry it isn't like you just run to the local Walmart to pick up a gallon of meth. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aster
No I wasn't using meth, and my motor was just on 9 psi. The biggest problem was the MAF tune then a really cold night with dense air. The MAF made the computer blind above 5200 RPM and I didn't shift until 6500.
OK so in your situation it sounds like it was more of a tuning and set up problem than it was the fact of the higher than 8psi boost.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad I could brighten our day . I understand that it is only sprayed at high rpm and boost and my understanding is you can program this based on the system. All that being said I still dont have any frame of reference on how long it lasts, you did shed some light on it though. I just dont want it to become something I always have to worry about. I take some long trips too such as power tour and I am a little worried about having to pack some away in the cab in a container to take with me. I guess I will understand how much I go through when I get the system put on. Sorry it isn't like you just run to the local Walmart to pick up a gallon of meth. Thanks for the reply.
With my alky control kit I had 5 gallon last me 1 year. Granted that was maybe 4-5k miles. Either way it doesn't need filled that much. Now this year I have driven 7-800 miles and made 10 passes at the track and I have used maybe a gallon.

If you do a lot of just normal driving you are barely gonna use any. You will obviously use more when you are racing and stuff but it isn't that bad. Not nearly as much of a pain as filing a nitrous bottle
Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Sorry it isn't like you just run to the local Walmart to pick up a gallon of meth. Thanks for the reply.
Brother, I wish we could. There is one performance shop in town here that always has it... but only one. I think some of the "tuner" shops may carry meth but not sure because I am not into imports much so I don't frequent those shops. Luckily like I said, you buy a 5 Gallon drum and you should be stocked up for a long time unless you are beating on the car constantly.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

The positives of methanol are hard to resist lol. I'm pretty sure its the main point of why my stock motor survived so long. I would think really heard about this one. My 1.5gal tank would easily last me a couple of weeks and I got on it just about every day lol
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just precured a good 12 liters of high grade methanol. WOOHOO>
Old 06-17-2011, 01:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I run 100% pure medical grade methanol, I lose more methanol from evaportaion in the heat when my car sits. Our cars do not have a low fluid level sensor, but Julio @ Alky Control can fix that for you. If you're ever in a out on the road or something you can run to walmart, just buy peak blue -20 and throw in 2 bottles of heat. Good in a pinch and about 50/50 water meth after 2 bottles of heat.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
Brother, I wish we could. There is one performance shop in town here that always has it... but only one. I think some of the "tuner" shops may carry meth but not sure because I am not into imports much so I don't frequent those shops. Luckily like I said, you buy a 5 Gallon drum and you should be stocked up for a long time unless you are beating on the car constantly.
My car isn't a daily driver car and even when I do get it out I am not beating on it all day, so sounds like a good 5 gal drum may last me a long time.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I run 100% pure medical grade methanol, I lose more methanol from evaportaion in the heat when my car sits. Our cars do not have a low fluid level sensor, but Julio @ Alky Control can fix that for you. If you're ever in a out on the road or something you can run to walmart, just buy peak blue -20 and throw in 2 bottles of heat. Good in a pinch and about 50/50 water meth after 2 bottles of heat.
I would for sure want some sort of warning system to tell me when I was low. I will get a hold of him, I have heard good things about his system.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

I run the cooling mist vari cool II kit. Check out their website....you can get low level sensors and flow sensors....you could just set it up off the windshield washer tank.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Methanol can easily drop the inlet air temps by 35 to 40 degrees, it makes a huge difference in the power. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: D1SC set up with IPS tune finished