Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

S475 Turbo LY6 '69 442

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default S475 Turbo LY6 '69 442

Hey Guys,

Have had a build thread for a while in the conversions section but I am getting to the point where it is more about the turbo build so i figured better advice would come from here.

My current build is a '08 LY6 converted to non-VVT with a single S475 BW hanging from one truck manifold and one F-bdy manifold. All this is packed into a '69 442!

I am pretty far along in the build...getting ready tot take the hotside piping out to the coaters. Kit has been completely fabbed by myself and while my welds are ugly as hell (I had to get a part replaced and for some reason I just cannot get the settings looking pretty anymore) I believe she should hold up nicely.

Running a GMPP Single Plane and replacing the elbow in the pics with a high flow Edelbrock elbow and turning it towards the drivers side. It will give me the room I need for the dual 38mm gates. S475 is fully divided.

And you will see a Lingenfelter MAF in the pics...they have proven it to 750hp and that is north of my goals so that is good enough for me. I am planning for a 10sec slip the first time out and have a wager with a turbo friend of mine for $100. Here's to hopin'!!!!

Here's some pics!

All my suspension goodies!

JZ Motorworks pan (now Holley's pan)

Shortblock before FI intake

Front Suspension

Now the fun part!!!

Crossover pipe

Driver's Side

So this is where I am currently at...I am beginning work on the down pipe and saving up some $$$ for a new intake elbow (trades anyone????)

I'll keep this as up to date as possible...thanks!
Dave
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good. Take a grinder to the welds to clean it up...
Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Looks good. Take a grinder to the welds to clean it up...
Thanks man....already started...want to make her look a little cleaner then it will be coated and wrapped so you will never see it anyway.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Updates?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job so far. I like the way you ran the crossover in the voided oil pan space.
Whose brake rotors are those? They look legit.
The orange block and valve covers add a nice touch too!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Tucks perfect under that oil pan. looks really clean that way. love the car by the way theres always been room in my heart for the ols 442
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome build!! My mom had a 71 442 with a 455.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yep...actually a bit of updates...had to pull back on the build slightly to get her up and running. Had some issues with the recent hurricane and needed to sell off some of my stuff so I wouldn't bang the credit cards...I refuse to spend money on them since I blasted them on my wedding...lol.

Anyhow, here's where I stand: boxed up the turbo piping for now and threw in a stout Lunati cam, wrapped up a set of fbody headers and switched up to an Autokraft pan. Got the vaporware tank installed with a 5th gen camaro pump and a single line to the front. I used Carl Casanova's tank harness up to the front. Got the PCM mounted and am currently working the rad and fans...bled the brakes...probably forgot a bunch. I will be going back to turbo once I get it running as I have the CTS-V fuel pump in a box on my shelf. I will still have to get Carl's PWM controller for the pump...all in due time.

Oh btw, the headers in the pic are for sale because they don't fit with the Autokraft pan unfortunately.

As for the color, I am actually thinking of staying with the Saffron yellow...it is so sleeperish and ugly I love it!!!

Enjoy the pics!!!

Here's and interesting fact...because I upgraded the rear in my 84 cutlass race car a while back from a 7.5" rear to a 8.5" rear I had to shorten the driveshaft one inch. Well, it just so happens that because I am using the 4L60e and a 12 bolt rear the stock length drive shaft from an a body is shortened 3 inches and is exactly the same size as the one I had!!! Direct drop in! Curious thing though is that I cannot seem to locate a decent set of u Joint girdles...the jegs ones don't even remotely fit. Any assistance would be appreciate there.

FAT MEATS...and ugly yellow....LOVE IT!!!

Goodies from PSI Conversion...

Plan to fire her up this weekend....thanks!

Quick Reply: S475 Turbo LY6 '69 442