Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

tig or mig

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya im not gunna take a class but I will practice alot before I actually put anything important under the knife lol
Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Miller Diversion 165 here. Just got it this year. Nice little affordable machine.
This is what I have and built my turbo kit with, there isn't much adjustment but I found an attachable control panel. But it still works well.

Last edited by Sluggish; 06-25-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an Everlast Powermaster 205 about 2 years ago. Fantastic machine! It stick welds, tig welds, and plasma cuts. The machine works great, is portable enough to move around easily, and has been very dependable. I do a lot of welding, and so far I have had absolutely no problems with it.

I got it for about $1300 with all the accessories brand new. Chinese welders have come a LONG way.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
No reason to take a class... all the info you need to know is online free. And beyond that no one else can make you perfect it but your own practice.
What a crock, you cant just read about something then be good at it, esp something as complicated as a header/manifold. Take the class, hell they may even let you bring your manifolds in and weld them up in-class so you dont have to buy a machine
Old 06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im not making my manifolds I already have everything welded but some small stuff
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate recommending more expensive things but in this case,

TIG IS FAR BETTER THAN MIG.

you can weld in your sunday best
if you miss the setting, you can control it easily with the foot pedal
it makes cleaner welds
it welds very quietly
no wire feed errors
can weld aluminum
Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pocket
What a crock, you cant just read about something then be good at it, esp something as complicated as a header/manifold. Take the class, hell they may even let you bring your manifolds in and weld them up in-class so you dont have to buy a machine
So you think taking a welding class for X amount of months will somehow have you prepared to make your own headers?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Tig welding does require some practice, but honestly most people that tig weld are self taught or watched someone do it and tried it on their own. I watched my dad when I was 12 years old tig weld. He does it for a living on gas power turbines for Dresser Rand. I give him a call if I have a question and he gives me a recommendation. I learned and got good at it in about a month or so of trial and error. I think there is actually more room for error and more control than on a mig machine. With a foot control you can bring the amperage in more or back it off as you feel what the puddle is doing. Its not rocket science and it doesn't cost alot if you buy an older used machine. I learned on a miller cp300 machine that is still my favorite machine to weld with. It has that sweet spot that I am used to. The syncrowaves are nice machines for the money, but when it comes to aluminum I still like the old cp300 at my dads house. The amperage ramps in gradually and it just seems easier to control.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

TIG all the way...im in the market for one so I can do all my own welding...I hate paying for stuff that I can do myself...hell by the time you pay to get mini-tubs installed you can have a nice machine
Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
So you think taking a welding class for X amount of months will somehow have you prepared to make your own headers?
Heck of a lot more prepared than buying a welder and winging it from day one
Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

absolutely

edit:misread that.

Last edited by kmracer; 06-24-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a book lol and it recommended buying a boat load of shim stock and practicing.

the book gave guidelines on torch angle, distance,amperage, rod, tungsten type, etc, and it said practice practice practice.

I bought my tig welder without ever watching anyone weld and after 5 hours or so of welding different thicknesses of shim stock/like shim stock, and maybe a bottle of argon, I was able to weld my hotside and coldside 100%
Old 06-25-2011, 04:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget taking a class. All you have to do is have someone experienced show you on that machine. They get the settings right and it's easy as crap after that. I bought mine and was dicking around with it and made some pretty crappy welds that I thought were good enough and then I had a guy come by and show me a thing or too and it was night and day between the setting differences. I still used the same technique though.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
A tig would be best if you have to money. A miller syncrowave 250 is of the best machines for the money. It can be pricey, but is a nice machine. With a good tig machine you have the ability to do aluminum. With a mig aluminum requires a spool gun that is somewhat pricey. A tig welder will provide a much cleaner weld. A mig welder can be had for $1000 or less and get you a decent machine. The downside is that the weld is not as pretty as a tig and the versatility of doing different materials is not as easy as with a tig. I have a hobart 140 with a gas setup that does a good job on exhaust tubing and will weld roll cages no problem. It is good for smaller stuff, but I would like to have a tig machine that will put out 250 amps or more for heavier stuff.
Unless you are skilled with a TIG, then TIG is a waste of time. MIG is just as strong, faster and easier. And far less chance of intrusion inside the pipe ( TIG requires backpurge to ensure internals remain good )

And a MIG is far handier for general automotive use. Plus cheaper.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
I hate recommending more expensive things but in this case,

TIG IS FAR BETTER THAN MIG.

you can weld in your sunday best
if you miss the setting, you can control it easily with the foot pedal
it makes cleaner welds
it welds very quietly
no wire feed errors
can weld aluminum
Dont really think any of those make it far better ?

MIG is still relatively clean. But the same safety rules apply from exposure to the arc with regards clothing.
If you get the wrong setting, just change it
Clean weld is down to preparation more so than welding method.
I doubt anyone has ever been deafened by a MIG
Wire feed errors....occasionally it may be a problem, but only very occasionally
And only if you buy a more expensive machine.

MIG is cheaper.
MIG is faster
MIG will blast a weld with less preparation if needed on unclean metal. TIG will not
MIG is one handed, so tacking the workpiece is a doddle.
And generally I'd say more versatile for automotive use.
Also easier to produce a strong clean weld with MIG with little experience.

If you are only buying one machine for the workshop, for me MIG would always be my first choice. TIG as a second unit.
Unless of course you are buying it with very specific needs in mind.

People just get obsessed with TIG for work as the welds can look all nice when done by a skilled welder. As to whether the insides of those pipes also look so good, is another matter. Backpurging is essential if the inside isnt to go all crusty. With neat fitting MIG welds, that just doesnt happen.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Dont really think any of those make it far better ?

MIG is still relatively clean. But the same safety rules apply from exposure to the arc with regards clothing.
If you get the wrong setting, just change it
Clean weld is down to preparation more so than welding method.
I doubt anyone has ever been deafened by a MIG
Wire feed errors....occasionally it may be a problem, but only very occasionally
And only if you buy a more expensive machine.

MIG is cheaper.
MIG is faster
MIG will blast a weld with less preparation if needed on unclean metal. TIG will not
MIG is one handed, so tacking the workpiece is a doddle.
And generally I'd say more versatile for automotive use.
Also easier to produce a strong clean weld with MIG with little experience.

If you are only buying one machine for the workshop, for me MIG would always be my first choice. TIG as a second unit.
Unless of course you are buying it with very specific needs in mind.

People just get obsessed with TIG for work as the welds can look all nice when done by a skilled welder. As to whether the insides of those pipes also look so good, is another matter. Backpurging is essential if the inside isnt to go all crusty. With neat fitting MIG welds, that just doesnt happen.
you didnt address aluminum welding with mig. most any tig welder over 1k is set up for mig

how about pulsing for thin sheet metal?

change the settings? when you are welding aluminum and the workpiece is getting hotter by the second thus requiring less input are you going to stop and wait for it to cool every 20 seconds or will you be continually changing settings at the machine? with tig you just feed less and less input at the foot pedal

nobody ever got deaf with mig. try telling that to your wife when you are welding in the middle of the night.

you never have wire feed errors with tig. with some stainless steel exhaust work (409 eg) you dont even need wire. you cant do that with a mig

tig welds look a lot better and that is important to some people.

most importantly, it is easier to learn to tig than to mig. because you have a lot more CONTROL, from the foot pedal, and you manually feed the wire as needed.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Unless you are skilled with a TIG, then TIG is a waste of time. MIG is just as strong, faster and easier. And far less chance of intrusion inside the pipe ( TIG requires backpurge to ensure internals remain good )

And a MIG is far handier for general automotive use. Plus cheaper.
I agree with part of the above, but mig is no where near as strong as a tig weld. It has nowhere near the penetration. If you want to weld aluminum mig will do it, but it involves having another bottle of gas, and a spool gun. If I am welding headers or piping tig is the way to go. Its much cleaner and requires less cleanup and also looks better. Just ask the pro shops what they use to weld headers or turbo piping.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
you didnt address aluminum welding with mig. most any tig welder over 1k is set up for mig

how about pulsing for thin sheet metal?

change the settings? when you are welding aluminum and the workpiece is getting hotter by the second thus requiring less input are you going to stop and wait for it to cool every 20 seconds or will you be continually changing settings at the machine? with tig you just feed less and less input at the foot pedal

nobody ever got deaf with mig. try telling that to your wife when you are welding in the middle of the night.

you never have wire feed errors with tig. with some stainless steel exhaust work (409 eg) you dont even need wire. you cant do that with a mig

tig welds look a lot better and that is important to some people.

most importantly, it is easier to learn to tig than to mig. because you have a lot more CONTROL, from the foot pedal, and you manually feed the wire as needed.
The OP never mentioned a requirement to weld aluminium. And I did state clearly MIG is generally better to have in the workshop, unless you have other specific requirements. ie Aluminium.

As for strength. We arent putting together aircraft or space rockets here. Show me a car part that has failed due to actual welding technique ( ie MIG or TIG ) then I'll believe that one is actually worth having over the other.
The simple fact is, such a scenario will never happen. The person doing it might do a ***** job, but that is not down to the welding machine or style of welding.

Obviously if you need to weld aluminium then there is no question the only option is TIG.

If you can get a dual machine MIG/TIG for sensible money, then yes that would be great. But even a decent Mig here would cost around UK £600 ( circa US$900 ) and a relatively basic AC/DC TIG UK £1200 ( circa US$1800 )
Unless you opt for the really cheap chinese stuff.

For general automotive and workshop use, MIG is still no 1 for me
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

There is no need to back purge CS And Mig works well on aluminum too.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't take any classes, this is with my Chinese welder.
Attached Thumbnails tig or mig-header.jpg   tig or mig-headerwelds.jpg  

Quick Reply: tig or mig