Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

tig or mig

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I didn't take any classes, this is with my Chinese welder.
Welding clean stainless, and reasonably thick stainless at that with a TIG is extremely easy.

Doing it to a high standard on thinner material or thin aluminium is a different story.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo you differently need at least a mig in your garage but having a mig and a tig is best

mig pros - easy, cheap ,fast, can fit in tight spaces
mig cons- does not look as pretty and less heat control

tig pros - show quality welds, awesome heat control, welds almost anything
tig cons- usually not very moveable and you need proper welding space (not easy to weld in cramped areas)

i always recommend a mig if its going to be your only welder, just because you can weld anywhere with it and not stuck to a workbench
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I didn't take any classes, this is with my Chinese welder.
What brand of welder do you have? I am considering getting a cheap tig just because I don't wanna spend 2 grand or more on a miller, plus if I need to welding something big I just take it to my dads house. It will be just for my garage.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Welding clean stainless, and reasonably thick stainless at that with a TIG is extremely easy.

Doing it to a high standard on thinner material or thin aluminium is a different story.
I've welded thinner stuff before too. Here is thin wall stainless welded to a t3 flange and my first time welding Aluminum.

What brand of welder do you have? I am considering getting a cheap tig just because I don't wanna spend 2 grand or more on a miller, plus if I need to welding something big I just take it to my dads house. It will be just for my garage.
The machine is a Everlast Powermaster 205, as stated earlier. It does AC and DC TIG, and is really great as a plasma cutter too. It comes with all the accessories and consumables to get started.
Attached Thumbnails tig or mig-thinwall-weld.jpg   tig or mig-aluminum.jpg  
Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Dont really think any of those make it far better ?

MIG is still relatively clean. But the same safety rules apply from exposure to the arc with regards clothing.
If you get the wrong setting, just change it
Clean weld is down to preparation more so than welding method.
I doubt anyone has ever been deafened by a MIG
Wire feed errors....occasionally it may be a problem, but only very occasionally
And only if you buy a more expensive machine.

MIG is cheaper.
MIG is faster
MIG will blast a weld with less preparation if needed on unclean metal. TIG will not
MIG is one handed, so tacking the workpiece is a doddle.
And generally I'd say more versatile for automotive use.
Also easier to produce a strong clean weld with MIG with little experience.

If you are only buying one machine for the workshop, for me MIG would always be my first choice. TIG as a second unit.
Unless of course you are buying it with very specific needs in mind.

People just get obsessed with TIG for work as the welds can look all nice when done by a skilled welder. As to whether the insides of those pipes also look so good, is another matter. Backpurging is essential if the inside isnt to go all crusty. With neat fitting MIG welds, that just doesnt happen.

one pro is that alot of tig welders can be bought with as a plasma cutter combo unit.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Go to Homedepot and buy one of those $700.00 180 amp lincoln migs and get started.

A mig will do 95% anything you need on a hot rod and be more practical for day to day use.

Just try to lay under a car and hold a bracket with one hand and tack it with a TIG.

A TIG welder is best suited for welding parts on a work table with clean tight fits.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone used an Everlst tig/stick/plasma cutter? its all 3 units in one. Im in the market for a tig but cant find a good deal on a used Miller diversion or syncrowave. I only want to spend about $1000.

www.everlastgenerators.com
Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

pirate4x4 has a big thread about em, support is great and people seem satisfied.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
What a crock, you cant just read about something then be good at it, esp something as complicated as a header/manifold. Take the class, hell they may even let you bring your manifolds in and weld them up in-class so you dont have to buy a machine

Ive never taken an actual class on TIG welding. Learned from doing it. After messing around I became ASME certified and went on to pipe fitting and making pressure vessels.. x-ray'd for some pretty strict standards. Now about 14 years later i dont weld as a profession anymore... but do teach people and have been asked to help teach at the local tech college which I respectfully declined.

Welding isnt the thing you need to know first.. When you weld you need to know the process... the thermodynamics of what you're welding. metallurgy is something you can read up on. It has a lot to do with what happens to the metal when you melt it and then it cools again.

Welding is the easy part, all you do it melt metal with electricity and glue it together. The cleanliness of your welds, the steadiness of your hand, the order in which you weld a complete pipe up.... all come from doing it over and over.

All this side info you can find online. Free. Read it, read all about it. Miller has its own forum. Then... practice, practice and practice. No school can substitute practice.... in fact thats what most of school is... practicing which you can do at home for free. Have a question? Ask online.... you get more answers than from one teacher at a school.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is how i learned to tig weld. http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...ng-basics.html

this along with lots of practice. i have been stick/mig welding for 20 years. tig is a lot of fun. however i have built several cars with just a mig welder. on my last build i just paid a welder 400.00 to tig up my hot side.

bottom line! if you have the money and time to learn. buy a tig machine. I will tell you it is not easy, it takes a lot of coordination, skill.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax4499
I will tell you it is not easy, it takes a lot of coordination, skill.
This all varies from people to people.... its an art form... it comes natural to some and to others they struggle.... the neatness and appearance that is.
Ive seen people lay down a tig weld that rival that of a robot weld in only a few hours of learning it.. and then ive seen others that have been doing it for 20 years and still suck....lol.

Quick Reply: tig or mig