Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

lets take a vote on turbo selection.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usafws6
id like a bb turbo, and turbonetics isnt out of the question. since its a HEAVY street car lol. 65 pontiac big car, id like a faster spooling turbo with plenty of "low end torque", top end hp is not my concern because honestly the thing is a boat and doesnt have great suspension. :}. Drturbo, would you agree then that a turbonetics tc70 would get the job done?
For your HP needs you are wanting, yes the 70mm TC unit would work very well with the F!-68 turbine.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run a garrett gt42 on my 5.3 and love it. Yes they are very expensive compared to almost any other brand but they are quality units. I went 10.72 on the first pass out with mine. BUT if your looking to save some $$ there are alot more options out there
Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

I like to laugh when people say they've heard bad things on master power even tho a couple years back in car craft a 1970 chevelle with a 540 had two of them on it and made some stupid 1400rwhp on pump gas
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
^ This.

And why are you dead set on a ball bearing turbo? Journal bearings are just fine. Most OEM factory turbo cars are journal bearing, and are covered by a factory manufacturer warranty.
beacuse bb spools faster and lasts longer wouldnt you agree?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usafws6
beacuse bb spools faster and lasts longer wouldnt you agree?
Spools faster yes....as for last longer....We have a few diesel customers that would argue that with 300K+ miles on their stock journal bearing units. Its all how you use and maintain it really.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 72montecarlo
I like to laugh when people say they've heard bad things on master power even tho a couple years back in car craft a 1970 chevelle with a 540 had two of them on it and made some stupid 1400rwhp on pump gas
Master Power went through a period about 3-5 years ago with a lot of units failing prematurely. I bought a Master Power T70 in late 2006 and it failed in only about 5k miles. I was not the only person this happened to. This was a large part of reason why a lot of the bigger turbo houses stopped offering the Master Power product line.

It's looking like their quality is back on track now however.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Spools faster yes....as for last longer....We have a few diesel customers that would argue that with 300K+ miles on their stock journal bearing units. Its all how you use and maintain it really.
ive read that maintenance is key because the turbo is the last to see oil pressure and is sensitive to debris etc, i think i might be sold on the tc series of turbos, id like to send in a turbo application sheet to turbonetics directly and see what they have to say. the tc66, 70, and 72 all look like good maps to me. when should i be in the center efficiency island? at mid range or top end? im still very new to turbo selection and how it affects vehicle performance. thanks for all the input guys.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 72montecarlo
i have no doubt that they are capable of power production, but i wont let a magazine control my way of thinking. i like real world results and unbiased opinions from people who have used the products without being paid to do so.

Quick Reply: lets take a vote on turbo selection.