Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IN need some advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default IN need some advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in need of some advice on my future build that will start soon.I thought I wanted to build a 408 with s480 turbo with mild cam and lsa heads,then i was thinking about a 427 build or a 434 build with hit of nitrous.I as so confused on this ....... I want my 1999 trans-am to be fast as fu#@. All the builds would cost around the same so that's my problem lol .Please tell me your thought on this .....Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you want your power always on? or do you want it to be a refillable expense that might not consistently be there?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I want the power to be on all the time,but if i do a big cube motor it will pud down 550 to 650 at the tire with out the nitrous. I believe if u cant put it to the ground It's a wast ,RIGHT
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
yes I want the power to be on all the time,but if i do a big cube motor it will pud down 550 to 650 at the tire with out the nitrous. I believe if u cant put it to the ground It's a wast ,RIGHT
A properly setup car for the street can hold about 800 to the wheels on a good road. I have found that to be the sweet spot. That's about where I was with my old nitrous setup. Nitrous is far easier to control and dial in. No way that you can do a turbo setup that makes 800 rwhp semi reliably for the price of the nitrous combo IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Unfortuantley ur exactly right
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how 98 can use 800rwhp on the street would like to know what tires he runs.

From lots of messing most cars can only handle 500 to 600 engine hp on street type tires and thats with good traction control setups like my z06.600hp vipers have serious problems with traction on the supplied michelin ps2s even though they are huge.Vipers have no traction control.

Now if guy wants to run say et street radials 24/7 might be different story.I did get a set but have to still try them out.Could have them on the car within next week or so but am busy moving across country right now.

I got some toyo drag radials and they pretty much suck at my current break in boost 7.5psi with the 427 and APS twin turbo /LG upgrade turbo setup.I have nitrous but its not wired up yet trying to get used to the power of the setup boost only. Car is stupid stupid fast at that 7.5psi with the 427. No track times or dyno numbers yet though. again may get some if have time before move but likely won't.

You can see what have done to the 427 in sig. AFR 225, mild ls9 cam. Old fast 90 intake/90 Nick williams tb. Of course boost has not much to do it things its airflow and sure flowing a lot of air at 7.5psi. Have no dyno numbers but it feels quite a bit better than my old combo of 408 and the standard aps turbos. I had the same afr 225 on there with lingenfelter gt7 cam.
I like very streetable easy to tune cams with no low end surging. Don't need some crazy loping cam when you have boost.

As for spray versus turbo. Spray is pain in the butt to refill and costs money,turbo is like spray but never runs empty.I put on my spray mostly for just show. Although with big turbo cars and smaller engines the nitrous can give instant spool up. I spool up my LGs quick would say under 3000 maybe 2500 depending on gear because of the 427 so nitrous is not needed really for spool up. But hey nothing scares honda boys more than my liscence plate, the twin turbo emblems and turbo sounds and a nitrous purge or the sight of the bottle in back or the direct port stainless lines on the engine.

You can be fast as f@@k with a nice iron block 408. And you can do it with pretty cheap heads like 317s , stock or stock type cam,ls6 intake. Spend money on forged pistons for that 408,some better rods ,cranks are pretty strong. Spend money on decent turbo,non knock off blow off and gate.And it will be really fast. Pretty much guaranteed.

Course a 427 NA combo will be no slouch and with shot on top it can be very quick but hooking up anything past 600 engine is not easy. I also do drive my car sometimes in rain so not really into running an et street radial 24/7 and there is more to life than straight line stuff. I like a tire and car that can also handle.

One more example. As you can see I have a pretty nuts 99 TT right now. 7.5psi currently. Think have 600rwhp maybe at that? I have a bone stock 08 z06. The 99 runs toyo drag radials on it currently the Z06 bridgestone run flats.

The z06 will destroy the 99 off the line and really most of the way to 100mph. Past that in a roll on the 99TT will win out although the 99 is also like 1000 pounds heavier and so needs more hp to be equal to the z06.

I was going to maybe add supercharger to the z06 but really it won't be that much faster.
The zr1 is not much faster in the 1/4 than the z06. Only at really high speeds like 100mph and over where you can get traction is the zr1 much faster. And I don't go over 100mph very often I like to keep my liscence and stay out of jail.

Just some thoughts for you. My cheap recipe again one more time. Iron 408 ,stock crank stock cam or ls6 type of stock cam, 317 heads. Forged pistons and rods. Pistons for sure.Rods not as important but still nice to get.
Maybe a master power turbo they seem ok for cheap. Non knock off blow off and gate ,tial, turbosmart are two good brands .Some reasonable ebay intercooler. All that will make you big power for not that much bucks.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Not sure how 98 can use 800rwhp on the street would like to know what tires he runs.

I am sure he is talking with a radial, which is what alot only run on the street.

normal street tires are pointless

the M/T radials are AMAZING on the street, i ran the times in my sig with the same power i normally run around on the street with and I hook like a million bucks on little 275 MT 17" radials on the street

no i cant hit it hard from a dig but from 15mph i can brake boost and leave hard a **** and not loose traction
Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
I am sure he is talking with a radial, which is what alot only run on the street.

normal street tires are pointless

the M/T radials are AMAZING on the street, i ran the times in my sig with the same power i normally run around on the street with and I hook like a million bucks on little 275 MT 17" radials on the street

no i cant hit it hard from a dig but from 15mph i can brake boost and leave hard a **** and not loose traction
Ok have to try out my et street radials for sure then. They are same size 275/17s.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Teching In

borg warner = faster and cheaper in the long run... no since in fillin up bottles after every outting... it may cost you a little extra in the beginning but it will be well worth it, no sense in wondering what you coulda had, just get it!

Quick Reply: IN need some advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!