Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who has the fastest turbo/supercharged f-body with a 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The super fast Supras don't just run the stock Getrags. PPG makes a complete dog-ring gear set for the Getrag. They also make a billet center case. The parts cost stupid money. The gearset is about $8,500 and the center case is $3,500. PPG also make a gear set for the T56 and the fast Viper guys use it. There is also a straight cut gearset that was made for the LPE Camaro by Liberty. I am sure that won't be cheap if it ever makes it to market.

Andrew
wrong.

the 7 second and all of those 8 second 6 speed supras all run the stock Getrag. I have never heard of anyone running anything but the stock trans in the supras.

there is not much to chime in on my car, it ate alot of T56s, all on a roll, I never launched it hard enough at the line, but in 2nd gear once, and several times in third gear, it chewed up the gears/cluster, turns the whole thing into garbage.

the viper guys run the Gforce gear set, without much luck either.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consensus is if you want to really go fast reliable and a lot cheaper then run an auto.

It's not near as fun, but I enjoy my mvb auto. It lets me think I am really shifting gears
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tiago
wrong.

the 7 second and all of those 8 second 6 speed supras all run the stock Getrag. I have never heard of anyone running anything but the stock trans in the supras.

there is not much to chime in on my car, it ate alot of T56s, all on a roll, I never launched it hard enough at the line, but in 2nd gear once, and several times in third gear, it chewed up the gears/cluster, turns the whole thing into garbage.

the viper guys run the Gforce gear set, without much luck either.
How much torque were you making compared to a supra though?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not everyone agrees with me on this but once I put a pump on my T56 to keep the forward gears lubricated under hard high speed pulls on the interstate I didn't have anymore trans problems.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...h-hp-cars.html
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The super fast Supras don't just run the stock Getrags. PPG makes a complete dog-ring gear set for the Getrag. They also make a billet center case. The parts cost stupid money. The gearset is about $8,500 and the center case is $3,500. PPG also make a gear set for the T56 and the fast Viper guys use it. There is also a straight cut gearset that was made for the LPE Camaro by Liberty. I am sure that won't be cheap if it ever makes it to market.

Andrew
They use a ~$6k carbon multi-disc clutch, but at least 2 of the 8sec cars (Woon/ Barton) were/are using a stock Getrag.

Regards,
Kurt
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by bettonracing
They use a ~$6k carbon multi-disc clutch, but at least 2 of the 8sec cars (Woon/ Barton) were/are using a stock Getrag.

Regards,
Kurt
I am very familiar with the carbon/carbon clutch technology, so maybe that is how the transmissions stay together. The clutch can be set up with a soft spring which gives it a softer hit off the line and as the carbon heats up the friction increases and allows the car to get down the track.

What doesn't make any sense is why PPG has the gear set available and is now selling a mid case. The gear set has been out for a while but the mid case is a newer item. If the stock transmission is so tough, why even go through the trouble of developing these products? It doesn't make any sense.

It takes about 1500 HP (give or take) in a 3000 pound car to get a car below 8 seconds. If memory serves me right the V160 is rated at around 375 lb/ft capacity. This must be the worlds most underrated and over engineered transmission in the world. If that is the case, why isn't everyone adapting them to various applications? The V160 has an integral bellhousing, but it wouldn't take much to machine that off and make an adapter to mate with a custom bellhousing. But I have yet to see anyone do that, which is not to say it hasn't been done...

Personally I think there is just a bit of myth surrounding the V160. It seems to leap tall buildings in a single bound, defy the laws of physics, and save the universe from destruction. Sounds like the cult of Toyota is blowing smoke up our collective asses just like they did regarding the supposedly indestructible Supra rear ends, until some people lifted the skirts on some fast cars only to find custom 9" Ford IRS center chunks with massive custom axles.

Andrew
Old 09-05-2011, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are the last 3 passes of the 2010 season... stock mainshaft t56 with basic steel 3-4 shift fork, billet key's, carbon blockers, bronze pads etc. The car made over 750lb.ft of torque and 668rwhp on the baby 150 shot it was getting here.

The new setup is gonna be a big single turbo setup with big cubes and a M12 GTO T56. It's getting the SSR mainshaft upgrade done to it as well to help support the power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VODpzrTZafg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cqAokKgUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKYp1pCtfE
Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I have been 9.78 with a Procharger. Drove it to the track and drove it home.
What clutch and trans mods?

Thanx
Jamie
Old 09-05-2011, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by racingelting
What clutch and trans mods?

Thanx
Jamie
Spec twin disk, G-force gear set, and electric pump to always keep the forward gears lubricated.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God dang lsxpwdr. What were the 60s? What is making u go to the gto trans? That beast is rolling as is
Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Here are the last 3 passes of the 2010 season... stock mainshaft t56 with basic steel 3-4 shift fork, billet key's, carbon blockers, bronze pads etc. The car made over 750lb.ft of torque and 668rwhp on the baby 150 shot it was getting here.

The new setup is gonna be a big single turbo setup with big cubes and a M12 GTO T56. It's getting the SSR mainshaft upgrade done to it as well to help support the power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VODpzrTZafg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cqAokKgUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKYp1pCtfE
Now that is getting it done.

One question for the m6 guru's...why does it seem that all motor and n20 cars have a better luck keeping these things alive and turning respectable short times? Nitrous is more violent off the hit than any turbo or s/c, yet all the cars I consistently see chopping the tree down, or turning 1.2x-1.3x 60's seem to be motor or n20 cars.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Spec twin disk, G-force gear set, and electric pump to always keep the forward gears lubricated.
Nice thanks for the reply. I will have to follow a similar root this winter. I like the pump idea. I would like to figure out a way to run a slipper clutch on the street as a dd. I have a couple ideas kicking around for that.

Jamie
Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

A RPS double or triple carbon clutch would be good but expensive.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by racingelting
Nice thanks for the reply. I will have to follow a similar root this winter. I like the pump idea. I would like to figure out a way to run a slipper clutch on the street as a dd. I have a couple ideas kicking around for that.

Jamie
McLeod has a very good instruction sheet for setting up their Soft-Lock clutch which includes some street driving tips.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/info/download.asp?id=5244#

Andrew
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All the cars in this thread are badass.

I'm surprised you guys aren't looking into the TR6060 though.. Its butter smooth compaired to any stock T56 or Gforce modded T56 I have used. Tougher outta the box. Still on my stock T56 here, only heavy street use has it seen though. Countless powershifts and various power setups. Wouldn't ever want anything other then a manual in the vette or any primary vehicle. Props to the guys that stay manual and get it done.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not everyone agrees with me on this but once I put a pump on my T56 to keep the forward gears lubricated under hard high speed pulls on the interstate I didn't have anymore trans problems.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...h-hp-cars.html
im a huge believer in this. when ever the trans decides to let go, the pump setup will be going in.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06

One question for the m6 guru's...why does it seem that all motor and n20 cars have a better luck keeping these things alive and turning respectable short times? Nitrous is more violent off the hit than any turbo or s/c, yet all the cars I consistently see chopping the tree down, or turning 1.2x-1.3x 60's seem to be motor or n20 cars.

Weight probably has a LOT to do with it. Most turbo 6 speed cars are PIGS. If they are building a race car and willing to do some weight reduction they go auto. If they stay 6 speed they want it to be a street car. I think Tiago's car was ~3800lbs IIRC? Correct me if I'm wrong. The extra weight really adds to the abuse.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiago
T56rebuilds shop car, 8.5s I believe 6 speed, NA.

Tanner LT1 car, stroker+nitrous 8.9s I believe.

SAM school car, NA 8.Xs also.

thats all I know of.
Yes Taner is a friend of mine his went 8.90s last summer.....It hasnt been out this year but is suppose to be a whole new animal. Also He has ALOT of work done to his, faceplated, converted to a LS style etc.

But for FI I am unsure.

Jay
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06

My guess is because there arent many out there. I'm going to try it however. I have methods of building boost while on the clutch and other than the trans have a fairly bulletproof driveline. The magic at keeping parts together is most alway's in how the suspension geometry is setup and the clutch. The Textralia I had in my car was a small diameter clutch and naturally allowed a little slip when i dropped the clutch from 6500 on the 2-step. I'm hoping that I won't have to launch the car as hard with the M12 gearing to pull the car off the line, however the gear's themselves on the M12 is slightly weaker due to the gear ratio. I'm honestly suprised I didn't bust a tailshaft or a yoke running those times. The later video's the car was spinning, so that takes alot of stress away as well.

I'll be able to answer your question more detialed after I get this new setup up and running and to the track.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very familiar with the carbon/carbon clutch technology, so maybe that is how the transmissions stay together.
Suspicious condition certainly, but there was alot of suspicion surrounding their hp claims with the engine - until they started clicking off the timeslips. That's not to tell You to believe everything the supra world says now, but dismissing it as Marvel Comics fiction might be a bit premature.

Why did PPG develop the gearset?
I'm sure You've seen crazier business decisions. If I had to guess, I'd say a big contributor was that since replacement V160's still cost upwards of $5k, some people might prefer to spend ~twice that once, for some semblance of peace of mind.

Stock trans is rated for 375ft-lbs...
Stock block is rated for 320hp (Japanese manufacturer agreement). Maybe they had a bunch of Caterpillar engineers on staff in their analysis department?

Why isn't everybody using the V160 in every swap?
They aren't exactly perfect. Synchros go bad, forks break, it requires Toyota ($$$) fluid, replacement parts are hard to find & take time to acquire (Getrag in Germany...), high cost of entry ($5k+), etc.

All that said, still take Your grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that "stock trans" means the stock gears & shafts were heat/ cryo treated, synchros were triple cone, etc. She's still hot, but she's had surgery.

Regards,

Kurt

Quick Reply: Who has the fastest turbo/supercharged f-body with a 6 speed?