Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bypass Valve Blow Off Valve.....Please Clarify!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bypass Valve Blow Off Valve.....Please Clarify!!!

Setting up my supercharger. Going with a d1sc and a fmic at 8 psi, what do you guys recommend for a bypass valve. keep reading that if it vents into the atmosphere then its a blowoff valve and that bypass valve recirculate into the system. i plan on just venting to the atmosphere, so do i just buy a blow off valve. clarification would be greatly appreciated along with what you guys recommend thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ProCharge...alves_c347.htm

you pretty much got the idea.... bypass - recirculate, blow-off...well, blows off into the atmosphere...

The big red race valve is popular, im oprdering one on friday as well. they are LOUD
Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your ecu measures all of the air entering the system, and uses this measurement to determine the correct amount of fuel to inject. If you dump some of this air, you will end up with an over rich mixture.
This is the primary reason to recirculate, rather than dump.
With a carbed system you can dump away, no problem!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hafjag
Your ecu measures all of the air entering the system, and uses this measurement to determine the correct amount of fuel to inject. If you dump some of this air, you will end up with an over rich mixture.
most ls1 cars that are boosted dont use a maf and run a sd tune, so this does not matter as the ecu will only be using the map sensor for fueling, if you have an sd tune (which you should) then you can use either bypass or blow off
commonly with superchargers (procharger at least) call there valves bypass valves even though they still vent to atmosphere
Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just asked this question. I thought the difference was when the valves were open. Such as a bypass valve like prochargers would be open at idle and won't close until the vaccum line actually has boost to it, then the valve closes. Where a bov is closed until it see's a spike in boost pressure (throttle blade is closed), then it opens to release the pressure. Am i way off on how the two work?

BTW, i think you can still run a maf on a supercharger with a bov. Just make sure you put the bov/bypass valve before the maf. This way the air is released before it is metered, and I believe should not create a rich condition.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hafjag

This is only true if you are dumping the air after the MAF reading. This is why the BPV is before the MAF sensor. Dumping is recommend to reduce AIT.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A blow off valve typically only opens when there is a surge in the system.

A bypass valve is open at all times when there is any vaccum on the motor. (even the big red prochager Bypass is like this)

For example when you go from WOT to idle. Blow off opens quickly and relieves pressure. then closes again. Bypass valve opens and stays open until you go WOT again.

Bypass valves are needed for Supercharged cars to prevent compressor surge
Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

There are diverter valves too. They operate just like bov's, but instead of bleading off to atmosphere, they divert it back into cold side piping. It's a bit more prevalent on stock turbo cars like the bimmers.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious why a standard bov won't work with a supercharged car. once throttle is lifted the bov will release pressure so you don't get surge...

The only way i can see a bov not really working with a supercharge system is this: the bov is set to open at 14pse and charger makes 10psi max. when the throttle is closed pressures spike and bov opens and releases pressure then closes say around 13psi. Well you have 13psi still in the cold side piping and the throttle is closed and it has no where to go until it builds back up to 14psi to cause the bov to open again. So this this scenario correct and why a bypass valve is better to open and stay open until it gets boost pressure again?

Quick Reply: Bypass Valve Blow Off Valve.....Please Clarify!!!