Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front Mount build thread. Stock Shortblock, TC78, 6spd. Numbers/Vid on Page 3!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Well i got a good amount done this weekend! Spent most of friday night painting and touching up all the bare metal that i ground down. I attempted to re-do my fan wiring but failed so i gotta wait on that till i get some more info. Got my passenger brake line out that i cut by mistake(thats an expensive oops). I relocated my horn to the driver side.

Saturday was extremely productive but i could not have done without my dad. I got all my intercooler piping done and did a full mock up so im good to go on finishing everything. Let me tell you, intercooler piping is definitely a big puzzle and not fun. Made some stainless steel brackets for my vacuum block, fan relays and radiator shroud. my dad will be taking some of the intercooler pieces to work to weld some stuff in. Ill include those on my next trip home

I also dropped the oil pan but i didnt have time to tap it- got questions on that, see the end of the post

wastegate placement

horn relocate

vacuum block mount i just have to cut to size.

oil feed/drain(is the drain angle ok???)

BOV placement

Intercooler piping route

Radiator shroud out of stainless. you can see the first steel bracket i made closest to the camera. it still needs tweaked but thats essentially what it will be

whats left
-tap the oil pan
-paint/wrap everything
-put the poly motor mounts in
-wire the fans

questions
For the typical turbo drain(pretty mine is 3/8), what size drill bit do i need to before i tap the pan?

Is my drain angle ok? i know it goes straight down at first but it kinda goes back up/straight over the kmember and into the oil pan. Im worried about drain issues that will cause smoking. I will not use a restrictor.

Is there anywhere online to buy brake lines that will reach the passenger side? Local places are all out.

ill think of more.

Comments/criticism
Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build Bro.

Keep it up.

As for the Drill bit size here is a link I found for you. Hope it helps.
http://www.thedirtforum.com/drilltapsizes.htm
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mariordz
Nice build Bro.

Keep it up.

As for the Drill bit size here is a link I found for you. Hope it helps.
http://www.thedirtforum.com/drilltapsizes.htm
thats exactly what im looking for. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i need to pick up a check valve for my pcv system. any ideas which one i should run or where i should get it?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Cool build buddy, i'll be subscribing to this one. Im doing a TC78 on my Commodore (4 door version of your GTO) over the next few months. I got the TC78 from Blake aswell just awaiting delivery atm before i can get stuck into it

Hopefully its smooth sailing for you mate
Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Verse1
Cool build buddy, i'll be subscribing to this one. Im doing a TC78 on my Commodore (4 door version of your GTO) over the next few months. I got the TC78 from Blake aswell just awaiting delivery atm before i can get stuck into it

Hopefully its smooth sailing for you mate
Thank you. It hasnt been too bad so far. Just waiting on all the little stuff you need gets old. But next time home i should be able to basically wrap it up for now. Just gotta do fuel after that. Good luck on your build, ill be on the lookout for updates.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep up the work. But if I can, I have one suggestion. Try relocation your wastegate. The current location kinda makes me worried. Other then that, great build.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember going through similar stuff last build. That chart is pretty nice. I used a 9/16" bit and it worked fine on the last build. If your downpipe is close the mounts, I'd go with solid mounts. I don't see an IAT sensor. I hope you have plans on putting on in. Also, I'd look into doing something other than stock water hoses on the lower part. Looks like it will be really close to the turbo.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Keep up the work. But if I can, I have one suggestion. Try relocation your wastegate. The current location kinda makes me worried. Other then that, great build.
Yeah i kinda agree. The pics dont show it too well but it only goes into the pulley about a 1/4" or less and its dead center. There is no reason it should hit because if the motor twist and what the whole thing will move together. Any other reasons youd move it?

This kit will probably get redesigned after i graduate next year. i got it dirt cheap of someone else and it needed a lot of work to get to where i could even use it.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I remember going through similar stuff last build. That chart is pretty nice. I used a 9/16" bit and it worked fine on the last build. If your downpipe is close the mounts, I'd go with solid mounts. I don't see an IAT sensor. I hope you have plans on putting on in. Also, I'd look into doing something other than stock water hoses on the lower part. Looks like it will be really close to the turbo.
yeah my problem is that i cant get an answer on whether or not the drain piece is -10x3/8-18 or a -10x3/8-24 if i could get that answered itd be fine haha.

And that was just my intercooler mock up. I didnt have the bung for the IAT yet, my dad actually welded it in this week, along with the BOV mount. ill post a pic of that in a min

Downpipe will be dumped before the k-member for now, just gotta pick up a turndown. i dont have the money to run it all the way back the way i want it. Plan is to have a cutout right after the k-member that is run off a hobbs switch or something similar that opens when boost is seen. Ill make a separate thread for that though.

The coolant hose actually doesnt touch the turbo but it does touch the oil feed line.. will that cause any problems? i was gonna heat wrap the hose there or figure out a new routing plan if thats too risky

BOV Mounted, IAT bung was welded in too didnt get a pic of that.

Last edited by Ryans99ls1; 10-23-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Slowly getting there bro. Can i ask where you got the oil feed block from? Looks like a nice bit of kit
Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Slowly getting there bro. Can i ask where you got the oil feed block from? Looks like a nice bit of kit
Thank you. Its from Modular Turbo. Makes life easier and its not expensive. Id recommend getting their power steering line kit too. I had to do some significant bending so hopefully i didnt create a leak at the fittings in the rack.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 AM

Thanks mate, will hit them up soon on the oil block. No need for PS lines on mine as we have steering on the other side and there's plenty of room to play with

Just had my turbo arrive today too so time to get started i think
Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks mate, will hit them up soon on the oil block. No need for PS lines on mine as we have steering on the other side and there's plenty of room to play with

Just had my turbo arrive today too so time to get started i think
Yeah Rob is good dude. I called and once i told him it was me he was really helpful with any questions i had on the whole build, not just what i bought from him
Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i figured this would happen, the car finally beat me this weekend. I got the oil pan tapped and went to put in the new motor mounts and it took me about 6 hours if not more. i could not get the motor lined back up for the life of me. I thought tapping the oil pan would be the hard part..

Then i went to put the manifolds back on and apparently with the new mounts, the motor sits just a tiny bit different than before which caused my hotside to hit the kmember so i had to take the manifold back off and do some more grinding.

I also wrapped my hotside if that counts for anything.. haha

Just an all around bad weekend. im going back this weekend to hopefully make some good progress, if not wrap 90% of it up.

Does anyone know how to put together an RPS 50mm BOV? it came with a bunch of fittings, an o-ring and a couple springs.. Im not sure how to put it together?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It lives! Got it all together, got the fans wired(thanks to Tally's help) and hid the wiring under the fuseboxes which turned out great. Just gotta bleed the brakes and finish my radiator shroud.
I will be trimming the front bumper when it comes time to tune it spring. Dual PCV setup still isnt hooked up, but ill do that after i get my boost controller.
picture of how it will most likely sit for winter.

Here is the video of the first start up.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its officially put away for winter.. but i got everything done that i wanted to do. I wanna thank everyone for the help and support! Ill be sure to update the thread come spring when i put the fuel system in and get it tuned. Some final pics right before i covered it up and left.

Ill be cutting the front bumper out some more, we are required to have a front plate here so ill come up with something better but this was just to see how it would look before i cut it all out, if i choose to.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Captain Double Post

looks good man, lol your thread made it look easy lol
Old 11-28-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seriously could not have done without my dad. He's a pipefitter by trade so he really helped on the welding and a lot of that little stuff.

No joke, the hardest part was those damn motor mounts. That was so aggravating. The biggest thing lesson i learned was that A LOT of time goes into something like this. It really made me realize why buying turbo setups can be so expensive. The work may not be all that challenging, its just extremely time consuming if you want to do things a certain way. And there are still things id like to go back and do differently, but due to resources and the time i had left to finish this, im ok with how everything turned out.

Theres also the fact that no one is lying when they say all the little **** adds up quick. You need at least $500 to cover all the lil stuff that pops during the build. Its stuff you simply cannot plan for as everyone will need different stuff.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

looks awesome man, cant wait to see when its gets dialed in
Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
looks awesome man, cant wait to see when its gets dialed in
Thanks i appreciate it.

How are your IAT's? i went back and looked at your thread and noticed we ran the intercooler piping the same, or maybe i sub-consciously copied you.. haha but either way im wondering if the hotside/radiator are affecting your IAT's any?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Mount build thread. Stock Shortblock, TC78, 6spd. Numbers/Vid on Page 3!