Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Should Whipple Make A Gen 4 F-body Kit???
Yes
97.09%
No
2.91%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

Whipple Supercharger for the Gen 4 F-body

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011 | 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Go.....now......DO IT!!!!!
Old 10-30-2011 | 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by T/A2000
as much as i would love to see this happen. I doubt it will.. Sucks to say it guys but i think we are stuck with turbo, and Pro Charger set ups..
Agreed.
Old 10-30-2011 | 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Please Whipple the Gen 4 F-body Mike.
Old 10-30-2011 | 11:44 AM
Launching!

Come out with a Gen III setup that is CA. legal and I'll get excited...
Old 10-30-2011 | 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

I would swap out my Procharger for a Whipple if it were available for the LS1 F-bodies. I love the Whipple 2.3 on my Cobra.
Old 10-31-2011 | 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
Damn still no news.

Man I tried to e-mail mike but no answer. I guess that the project is trashed...
Old 10-31-2011 | 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bridges
Man I tried to e-mail mike but no answer. I guess that the project is trashed...
or they're looking into it.

I imagine R&D on this could last years.. especially in such a tight fit application.
Old 11-01-2011 | 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Your argument is based on the assumption that if this kit was available a certain percentage of the people that are currently doing turbo kits would buy this kit instead. It is a huge leap of faith to make that assumption.

The overall market for F-body forced induction systems is by definition shrinking. These cars haven't been made in almost 10 years and every day there are fewer and fewer of them on the road. Thus, it is a shrinking market.

For this product to succeed it would have to steal market share from the other solutions that are available to people. In order to steal market share the product has to offer an increase in the perceived value to the consumer. That value can come in different forms. It can be that the kit makes more power. It can be that the kit is less expensive than comparable offerings. It can be that the kit fits better. There are a number of ways to increase perceived value to the consumer.

I would say that it will take Whipple no less than $100,000 to develop this product. That is taking into account tooling costs, engineer salaries, and various other overhead. I also can't see them doing it in less than 6 months time. I don't want to actually go into doing the ROI calculations and break even calculations, but at a glance this seems like a loosing proposition.

Andrew
Highly disagree, on the contrary, the Fbody market is EXPLODING right now. You make it sound like dozens of these cars are disappearing from the roads every day, when in reality new products and ideas are still being developed from them on a daily basis. Nowadays it's common to see people at a bare minimum of 500 hp, but 10 years ago 500 was the ****!

$100,000 to develop the product? Ok, so sell a kit for 7k and 14-20 kits sold later you have already covered the cost of development...? Sure there are productions costs and whatnot, but let's say 100 kits are sold. I think that should come pretty damn close to covering all, if not more than enough of the development costs.

And you are seriously out of the loop if you think only 14, 20 or even only 100 of these kits would be sold if they were actually made. I myself am a Procharger guy, but I know the potential for this market could be huge if the Whipple was released
Old 11-01-2011 | 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Highly disagree, on the contrary, the Fbody market is EXPLODING right now. You make it sound like dozens of these cars are disappearing from the roads every day, when in reality new products and ideas are still being developed from them on a daily basis. Nowadays it's common to see people at a bare minimum of 500 hp, but 10 years ago 500 was the ****!

$100,000 to develop the product? Ok, so sell a kit for 7k and 14-20 kits sold later you have already covered the cost of development...? Sure there are productions costs and whatnot, but let's say 100 kits are sold. I think that should come pretty damn close to covering all, if not more than enough of the development costs.

And you are seriously out of the loop if you think only 14, 20 or even only 100 of these kits would be sold if they were actually made. I myself am a Procharger guy, but I know the potential for this market could be huge if the Whipple was released
I agree with this. Fbody's are becoming much cheaper, look how cheap LT1's are now. So more people have money to mod them. Not everyone can spend 30K on a camaro ss, or mustang GT and drop another 6-7K into a supercharger. When the cars become cheaper the more people can afford them and afford to modify them.

This is the only reason I have my Trans am today. If these cars still were still $20K today there is no way I could afford one right now. LS1's are still easy to sell. As long as they aren't over priced someone is always looking to buy one.
Old 11-01-2011 | 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

..... I know the potential for this market could be huge if the Whipple was released
You know? How exactly do you "know?" You have your hunch, just as much as I have my hunch. Neither can be proven until the product is made.

Andrew
Old 11-01-2011 | 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

You know? How exactly do you "know?" You have your hunch, just as much as I have my hunch. Neither can be proven until the product is made.

Andrew
I know because I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of people over the years bitching about there not being a whipple kit for these. Also, have you LOOKED at this thread? Look at these guys man.
Old 11-01-2011 | 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I know because I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of people over the years bitching about there not being a whipple kit for these. Also, have you LOOKED at this thread? Look at these guys man.
There is a huge difference between what people say they will buy and what they actually buy.

Whatever happened to the guy that was taking MagnaCharger kits and modifying them to work on the F-Bodies?

Furthermore, there are some really serious packaging restraints that have to be overcome when installing a roots blower on an f-body. People don't want to cut the cowl, which means the blower has to be moved forward. When the blower is moved forward the pulley starts to get into the hood. Then you have to turn the blower around and use a jackshaft, but the back of the blower is even taller than the front, so a custom casting needs to be made to move the throttle body down, but then it runs into the radiator, etc....etc...etc...

There is a reason why MagnaCharger or KB have not made a kit for f-bodies.

Andrew
Old 11-02-2011 | 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

There is a huge difference between what people say they will buy and what they actually buy.

Whatever happened to the guy that was taking MagnaCharger kits and modifying them to work on the F-Bodies?

Furthermore, there are some really serious packaging restraints that have to be overcome when installing a roots blower on an f-body. People don't want to cut the cowl, which means the blower has to be moved forward. When the blower is moved forward the pulley starts to get into the hood. Then you have to turn the blower around and use a jackshaft, but the back of the blower is even taller than the front, so a custom casting needs to be made to move the throttle body down, but then it runs into the radiator, etc....etc...etc...

There is a reason why MagnaCharger or KB have not made a kit for f-bodies.

Andrew
I dont think the modification to the cowl was its downfall. i think it was the hp limitation. 550 seemed to be the max w/ a fairly good size cam and heads. think people want to have the ability to achieve 600+whp w/ ease. and the whipple 2.9L would easily achieve that.
Old 11-02-2011 | 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
I dont think the modification to the cowl was its downfall. i think it was the hp limitation. 550 seemed to be the max w/ a fairly good size cam and heads. think people want to have the ability to achieve 600+whp w/ ease. and the whipple 2.9L would easily achieve that.
If modifying the cowl is not an issue, then why haven't more people installed a Whipple 2.9L in their F-bodies already? Something doesn't add up...

I think that the kind of guys that don't mind cutting the cowl are running turbos or centrifugal blowers.

Andrew
Old 11-03-2011 | 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Everyday I hope to open this thread to good news and everyday Im disappointed..
Old 11-03-2011 | 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

If modifying the cowl is not an issue, then why haven't more people installed a Whipple 2.9L in their F-bodies already? Something doesn't add up...

I think that the kind of guys that don't mind cutting the cowl are running turbos or centrifugal blowers.

Andrew
they just now developed an Cathedral port manifold to use w/ their front feed system. so its new. believe me if i had 10-15k laying around i'd be the Guinea pig. in a heart beat i would. and i probably wouldnt even tell n e one cuz i'd want it to be unique and only one to have it
Old 11-03-2011 | 06:37 PM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

I agree that the reason more people didnt go with the maggie was due to the limits of power. Some days I regret that aspect of it as well but I still love it overall. Cutting the cowl and lowering the k member is nothing. Its cake compared to some of the crazy *** turbo builds I've seen. Hell even the mild ones for that matter. I realize they net more gain but it's still very involved.

The other big issue that I noticed with the maggie "kits" was that no one really made an all inclusive "kit". You still had to be fairly crafty to make it come together. But the real killer for me was the shittastic customer support from the 2 companys that were most notorious for the kit. LM Speed is apparently out of business now (which Ed apparently ripped off several people) and MTI is banned on this site last time I looked up one of their users (and they should be for the way they treated me). I know they are still in business but I dont believe they even offer the kit anymore.

I'm sure that since whipple has the front intake system for the 2.9L now that someone will mock it up on an fbody sooner than later. Like it was stated earlier, that system is still pretty new to the market. I would like to hear something from Mike though. It's been a while since he has chimed in. I dont expect them to be done with R&D at this point but he could at least tell us if we need to abort the thread or not.

And those that were hating on the LT1 guys earlier, I realize they intend to build this for an LS1 and probably have no intentions of even considering an LT1 version but, your arguments based on the fact that this is "LS1Tech" and not "LT1Tech" is pretty lame. Just recently I read about some *** worried about what his gf dressed up like for halloween, another one asking how old everyone is, another one asking for a loan to build this motor, etc. etc. Why didn't you all tell them this was LS1Tech? Lighten up boys...
Old 11-03-2011 | 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you guys voting?
Old 11-03-2011 | 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by sheikss
Where are you guys voting?
^^up top bro. Unless its closed, all it says for me is the count and that I already voted..
Old 11-04-2011 | 05:48 AM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

got a yes from me

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger for the Gen 4 F-body