Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about mounting IAT Sensor, Depth. And why after meth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about mounting IAT Sensor, Depth. And why after meth?

So i picked up a bun. Its 3/4 inch thick. When i hand tighten the sensor in to the bung. the tip is flush with the bung. So should i cut the bung smaller before taking it down and getting it welded on? or will it be fine this way? Or should it stick more in to the stream of the air. thanks for the feedback in advance.

Last edited by FlipediS; 10-14-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

i ran into this as well, my intercooler pipe was fairly thick so i ditched the bung and threaded the pipe, this way the element will not be shrouded.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

That would work. But i rather just cut the bung in half then weld it on. But then wondered a little since ill be spraying meth if it might be a good idea to leave it like,
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

that will work too. i guess it depends on how your tune will be set up. with meth spraying right on the sensor it will show super cold IAT's it will work fine either way.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Also is the only reason people run the IAT sensor after the meth is for safety? So if meth fails it pulls timing? Is that basically the only reason? or is there other reasons? Becosue my meth kit i bought is a snow kit. And came with the safe injection, witch detects the pressure of the meth. Also has a thing to hook up to my by pass valve so if it fails it opens the bypass valve from my understanding. So now im curious if that's the only reason why the IAT since is after, Should i just mount it before meth since i have the safe injection? Or should it still be before? Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

if it were mine i would mount it before, seems to be the norm. i think the safe inj can be hooked up to bring your wastegate down to spring pressure.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

Well i got the safe inject with the kit i bought online. got a great deal with it. but then since i had it i ordered the Bypass Valve Solenoid, Witch i belive opens up my bypass valve i have. Since im procharger. I do not have a wasgate. But they do also sell a wasgate solenoid as well, So my understanding is that it just opens my BPV if it detects low flow. And would prevent me from going in to boost.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep yep, i didnt see the procharger part.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason you spray methanol BEFORE the IAT sensor is because the methanol not only boosts octane, but when properly atomized it will cool the charge down as well. You want the PCM to read the air temps as they are when they enter into the engine, not what they are before the the addition of methanol. In a sense you are right about the timing safety feature. If the car is tuned for methanol AFTER the IAT and it doesnt work, you could possibly run into a lean condition, but if it is tuned for before the IAT, and it doesnt work then they computer will read the higher temps and adjust for that.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback. makes sense. My only concern is what if meth gets on the sensor? how accurate would the reading be then? So if the ait senor just barely stuck out past the bung would this be better to prevent this? or is this something not to even worry about?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Remember that you are having pressurized air run across the sensor. No matter how far it sticks into the "stream" it will still read the the AIT.

Also you will have air blowing past the sensor, so no meth will have a chance to stick onto the sensor.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostofKrypton
Remember that you are having pressurized air run across the sensor. No matter how far it sticks into the "stream" it will still read the the AIT.

Also you will have air blowing past the sensor, so no meth will have a chance to stick onto the sensor.
If the sensor is not in the air stream it will react much slower. Remember that the pipe is usually hotter than the air inside due to the ambient temp under the hood. We found a screw in sensor that has a long probe w/o the little plastic cage that we put in LS2Formula's car. I need to find the part number for it as I need to replace mine with one of those.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool, i use the screw in typhoon sensor now.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

I just used the the original rubber grommet and drilled a hole in the pipe, add a little silicon for good measure.

Quick Reply: Question about mounting IAT Sensor, Depth. And why after meth?