Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

twin turbo and a 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can supra and viper guys run fast *** times with a stick but no one can manage to do it with an ls vehicle?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by racejunky02
How can supra and viper guys run fast *** times with a stick but no one can manage to do it with an ls vehicle?
The supras lack the torque to shred trannys. Cant think of a reason for the vipers.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean no-one? There are plenty of fast manuals out there, it is just faster with an auto generally, so people use them.

I would be willing to bet the fastest 6sp LSX car is faster than the fastest 6sp Supra.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

please do some research and find me one then...I have done minimal searching for a fast lsx car that is turbo'd and i haven't found anything out of the 9's...you can find na cars, s'charged cars and nitrous cars but no turbo cars....at least i havent found any yet
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

please do some research and find me one then...I have done minimal searching for a fast lsx car that is turbo'd and i haven't found anything out of the 9's...you can find na cars, s'charged cars and nitrous cars but no turbo cars....at least i havent found any yet
That's because turbos and sticks go together like oil and water. Can you make it work? Ofcourse, but who wants to spend the money and still be slower than a combo that costs half just to be able to say they are the smartest dumbass?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM
9 Second Club

1. dont do a APS kit trust me been there done that in many fourms
2. going to a auto was the best mod i could of ever done for my car its way more fun
3. if you are doing a turbo set up a single turbo is less BS

my 2 cents
Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
That's what they all say. You've never driven a fast auto with a stall have you? IMO, it's more fun to win races.

Just trying to save you some time and money because you will end up with an auto regardless. And when I say auto, I don't mean a 4L60.
I'm with this guy.

I was a 6 speed and switched to a 4L80e. Car dropped over half a second with just the swap, and it's MORE fun to drive.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by killernoodle
What do you mean no-one? There are plenty of fast manuals out there, it is just faster with an auto generally, so people use them.

I would be willing to bet the fastest 6sp LSX car is faster than the fastest 6sp Supra.
Fastest 6 speed turbo fbody- high 9s
Fastest 6 speed turbo supra- mid 7s
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what they all say. You've never driven a fast auto with a stall have you? IMO, it's more fun to win races.

Just trying to save you some time and money because you will end up with an auto regardless. And when I say auto, I don't mean a 4L60.
Preach it brother Los!!!

Also give some serious thought to Josh@KY Turbo. If you want a kit that is custom tailored the way YOU want it with the turbo's YOU want...josh is the only way to go. It will cost more $$$ but his work is flawless.

If you want a quick drop in and go system that is still quality then Modular Turbo is your best bet.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluggish
hold on is this correct?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
hold on is this correct?
I can't think of anyone faster off the top of my head. I'm sure LMR could do a gear swap in Kelly's Camaro then lay down an 8.something leaving off idle but it's not a drag car...

The weight of these cars coupled with the incredible torque of a serious turbo setup=bye bye T56. Ask Tiago. That mid 7 second supra weighs quite a bit less and doesn't make the ridiculous torque a turbo LSX makes before the 60ft is out. They also have the V160. The viper guys... If you have the money to turbo and drag race a viper you can afford to keep throwing transmissions in it. They break them all the time you just never hear them complaining.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Really? That is sad. I seem to recall a certian 6 speed Camaro that was going 8's on motor quite a while ago.

I have driven built/stalled autos plenty and I am swapping a 6 speed into my F body. For some of us, it is about more than just the fastest possible timeslip at the expense of all else. No way any slushbox is more fun to drive, unless your idea of a fun drive is slurping a big gulp while texting your girl and steering with your knee.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Sir MightyMouse has the record from like 5 or 6 years ago I believe, like a 9.91 I think.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05HD
Really? That is sad. I seem to recall a certian 6 speed Camaro that was going 8's on motor quite a while ago.

I have driven built/stalled autos plenty and I am swapping a 6 speed into my F body. For some of us, it is about more than just the fastest possible timeslip at the expense of all else. No way any slushbox is more fun to drive, unless your idea of a fun drive is slurping a big gulp while texting your girl and steering with your knee.
I was getting ready to post, but this summed it up perfectly for me. I'll never own an auto car. to the OP, if you like shifting and aren't worried about track times, stay 6 speed.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pber13
I was getting ready to post, but this summed it up perfectly for me. I'll never own an auto car. to the OP, if you like shifting and aren't worried about track times, stay 6 speed.
I was a die hard 6 speed guy until I sat down and really thought about it. I would still love to have a 6 speed turbo car but the only way it would be feasible for me is to keep it under 650whp. You can make it live at that mark for a long time if you take care of it. I know how fast my car became boring being H/C with 450whp so it would only be a matter of time before I wanted more. At that point I would have to drop some serious coin on a ridiculous trans and clutch only to roll the dice every time I drove it. I don't have the budget to continually fix big ticket items like that. I want to build something that will stay together for a while. I'm shooting for around 800whp on E-85 and moderate boost with 4 digit capability at the wheel. For the price of a top of the line T56 and good twin disc I can buy a nasty 4L80E and only do it once. That, and the bigger turbo will love the auto. I'll probably buy a C5 FRC in a year or two if I feel like I need a 6 speed fix.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah fastest manual transmission fbody would be mightymouse. Highpockets hit a 9.7 in a LS vehicle, but it was a vette.

And to the original poster, go with the transmission you want in your car, everyone elses opinion is just that, and opinion, and here is mine. I know flat out that if I converted my car to auto, it would be faster in the 1/4. And I wont do it. Love shifting way too much, and Im not going after the all out LSX record or anything, just looking to have alot of fun in my car.

Good luck!

P.S. I have the APS kit, that I full installed myself if you have any questions. Shoot me a PM, I'll let you know the ins & outs, and pros and cons.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget about Jim from Speed Inc's badass TT 6 speed LT1 camaro. He ran a 9.6 @ 144 mph with a slipping clutch and 3750 raceweight. I don't see why no one tries to build a light weight drag setup and run some 8's. Jim's camaro even had A/C !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fGQi...el_video_title
Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

That's because turbos and sticks go together like oil and water. Can you make it work? Ofcourse, but who wants to spend the money and still be slower than a combo that costs half just to be able to say they are the smartest dumbass?

The question wasn't which is faster, the question was why don't you see any fbodies with turbo's and sticks running in the 8's....My point being I would feel like **** if I pulled up beside a stick supra or viper and I had my infamous automatic that will beat everything on the planet and I get smoked because he has the ***** enough to learn out to drive a stick and can do it and run in the 8's...if I wanted a boring auto car where you push the pedal and go I would have an automatic, I don't care if my car has a bulletproof auto with a 10k stall its still a damn automatic...I have my car because I think its fun to drive and "in my opinion" an automatic isn't fun to drive whatsoever....but this is my opinion and I am allowed to have my opinion I don't wanna be just another lame *** automatic guy...
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05hd
really? That is sad. I seem to recall a certian 6 speed camaro that was going 8's on motor quite a while ago.

I have driven built/stalled autos plenty and i am swapping a 6 speed into my f body. For some of us, it is about more than just the fastest possible timeslip at the expense of all else. No way any slushbox is more fun to drive, unless your idea of a fun drive is slurping a big gulp while texting your girl and steering with your knee.
amen!!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

The question wasn't which is faster, the question was why don't you see any fbodies with turbo's and sticks running in the 8's....My point being I would feel like **** if I pulled up beside a stick supra or viper and I had my infamous automatic that will beat everything on the planet and I get smoked because he has the ***** enough to learn out to drive a stick and can do it and run in the 8's...if I wanted a boring auto car where you push the pedal and go I would have an automatic, I don't care if my car has a bulletproof auto with a 10k stall its still a damn automatic...I have my car because I think its fun to drive and "in my opinion" an automatic isn't fun to drive whatsoever....but this is my opinion and I am allowed to have my opinion I don't wanna be just another lame *** automatic guy...
Agree.

Quick Reply: twin turbo and a 6 speed?