Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

twin turbo and a 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am more than prepared for cussing, throwing ****, breaking **** spending money, etc...I will drive the car more than race it anyways but still....thanks for the info...sorry we are still wrecking this guys thread...
Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shanemilleresp
98z28cobrakiller is right a blow off valve is to prevent compressor surge not keep the engine loaded and boost up in between gears

"Blowoff valve
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A blowoff valve (BOV) or dump valve is a pressure release system present in most turbocharged engines.

Its purpose is to prevent compressor surge, and reduce wear on the turbocharger and engine. Blowoff valves relieve the damaging effects of compressor "surge loading" by allowing the compressed air to vent to atmosphere, making a distinct hissing sound, or recirculated into the intake upstream of the compressor inlet."

back to the op's topic...if the dude wants a six speed let him do it either he'll have to be content on 9's or pony up with a th400 or 4l80 and go faster.
Wikipedia is partially correct. They clearly didn't do enough research. If you want to keep as much of your boost as possible when shifting (closing the throttle blade temporarily) then the blowoff valve also helps in not causing a pressure reversion on to the compressor blades and thus slowing the turbo dramatically. However clearly never closing the throttle blade at all will keep the turbo fully spooled and give you the most power on the run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_fG_b65WiU
3minutes into the video is what I was trying to explain above.

But your right at the end of the day you're times will be slower with the manual.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FMX05
I was a die hard 6 speed guy until I sat down and really thought about it. I would still love to have a 6 speed turbo car but the only way it would be feasible for me is to keep it under 650whp. You can make it live at that mark for a long time if you take care of it. I know how fast my car became boring being H/C with 450whp so it would only be a matter of time before I wanted more. At that point I would have to drop some serious coin on a ridiculous trans and clutch only to roll the dice every time I drove it. I don't have the budget to continually fix big ticket items like that. I want to build something that will stay together for a while. I'm shooting for around 800whp on E-85 and moderate boost with 4 digit capability at the wheel. For the price of a top of the line T56 and good twin disc I can buy a nasty 4L80E and only do it once. That, and the bigger turbo will love the auto. I'll probably buy a C5 FRC in a year or two if I feel like I need a 6 speed fix.
I don't drag race, I autocross uncompetitively once a month, and I drive ~1300 street miles each month, so a 6 speed makes more sense for me. Even if I had 1000 rwhp (I DON'T and won't for a very long time) I'd probably never break anything. I don't launch.

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
BOV has nothing to do with staying in boost between gears. It's all about not lifting and having some sort of anti-lag (think 2 step) to keep the engine loaded between gears.
anti-lag and 2-steps are 2 different things.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the T-56 magnum will allow for some faster runs and less breakage?

Quick Reply: twin turbo and a 6 speed?