Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me turbo my LS1 jet boat...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me turbo my LS1 jet boat...

Ok - I'm looking for help turboing my LS1 Jet Boat.

I'm not sure whether to go with a single, or twins...and I have no idea on the hot and cold side piping. I will be going back to EFI with a FAST 102 LSX RT - and I believe the TB can face forward OR backwards.

The engine is currently a 525 observed fwhp 383 with 11.5:1 CR - I will of course be dropping that to 9-9.5:1, swapping to a more boost friendly cam, and using an Air to Water intercooler. I am looking for 850+ fwhp in the 6000 rpm area - I might settle for a little less...but would rather not.

Below are some pictures of the engine. Keep in mind that there is a back seat that is almost right up against the radiator hoses, or about 4-6" in front of the alternator...so I don't have a lot of forward room. Mostly I have lots of room to the sides, some towards the rear, and of course up. I do not expect to be able to keep through transom exhaust...

Thoughts, hints, suggestions?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My thoughts? Freakin cool. What fuel do you have readily available? No reason to drop the compression if you have access to E85.

What are the current internals? Heads? Cam? What intake do you plan on running?

I'd get a car harness and run a GM computer if I were you. Should save you a boatload over a standalone.

Since this thing is already pretty bling, I'd do twins. Tons of room on the sides, some T60s would be cheapish, last forever, and make upwards of 1100hp.

A2W is a good idea considering you have a constant supply of cool water. I'd use GM truck manifolds if you don't mind the look, and the heat.

Cool build man
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thumbs up!! thats all i have to share.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
thumbs up!! thats all i have to share.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
My thoughts? Freakin cool. What fuel do you have readily available? No reason to drop the compression if you have access to E85.

What are the current internals? Heads? Cam? What intake do you plan on running?

I'd get a car harness and run a GM computer if I were you. Should save you a boatload over a standalone.

Since this thing is already pretty bling, I'd do twins. Tons of room on the sides, some T60s would be cheapish, last forever, and make upwards of 1100hp.

A2W is a good idea considering you have a constant supply of cool water. I'd use GM truck manifolds if you don't mind the look, and the heat.

Cool build man
Thanks!

I will *probably* use either the Dual Flash PCM that Frost sells (if/when it becomes available again) or just a simple GM ECU - unless I can find a SCREAMING deal on a FAST XFI/XIM system.

Intake will be a FAST 102mm LSX RT with 102mm TB

Current internals are a forged 4" Lunati crank, 6.2" forged Eagle rods, and JE P/N 194881 -2cc 3.905" forged pistons, all ARP fasteners, and file-fit rings.

Heads are MTI Stg 3 853 with good flow (might upgrade to AFRs in the future...but not right now).

Current cam isn't right for FI (238/244 - 112 LSA - .603/.609) - so the cam will be what PatG says...

E85 is NOT readily available where I am, the best I can do is 93 pump or 100LL AvGas.

IF I could get a .070 gasket and 76cc heads I could get down to 9.8:1; but I don't think either of those are available. With 72cc heads and .057 gasket it's still around 10.5:1

Truck manifolds don't bother me - but if fabbed manifolds weren't too much more I'd happily go that route.

Just for grins, here's a quick idle vid - and a 5000-6000 rpm video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReayA7lM5gE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRyGojKq3SI
Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Launching!

sweet boat man! Check out LS1Curt's 383 turbo Build. search 383 s88. It could be what your looking for. Good luck with the build.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gimmeluvin
sweet boat man! Check out LS1Curt's 383 turbo Build. search 383 s88. It could be what your looking for. Good luck with the build.

I just looked at it - very nice build; but I don't have the room in front of the engine for a setup like his unless I ditch the back seat...
Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

how ab bolting up the turbos at the collectors available now? truck maifolds will put them in the same location anyways. I would go with twins, just bc its a jet boat and will look cool. I would runa air/air over the rear of the engine with dual inlets to one center outlet to the rear facing intake (piping wd be minimal and still get good airflow...) do a standalone and get a really great tuner to set it up for you. just think, they will only have to account for one gear...fast!!
what ab meth to help with the compression and leave it alone?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, no reason that your cam wont work for that application with properly sized exhaust housings. Second, that 4" stroke with a 6.2 rod puts the rod really deep in the piston and costs piston thickness which moves the top ringland up pretty high. For your goals, you would be WAY better off with a stock 3.622 stroke and a 6.1 rod that will give you plenty of meat on top of the piston. This unfortunately means that you will need an entirely new rotating assembly. I don't know much about boats and even less about what you are doing but I'm guessing that this thing has to handle a good 30+ sec at a time at that 850 hp level which is a bit different than the 8-10 sec that the average car has to do it on the drag strip.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by narx66gmc
how ab bolting up the turbos at the collectors available now? truck maifolds will put them in the same location anyways. I would go with twins, just bc its a jet boat and will look cool. I would runa air/air over the rear of the engine with dual inlets to one center outlet to the rear facing intake (piping wd be minimal and still get good airflow...) do a standalone and get a really great tuner to set it up for you. just think, they will only have to account for one gear...fast!!
what ab meth to help with the compression and leave it alone?
Why would you use A/A on a boat that has a constant supply of cool water all around it?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

98Z - i wd use it for looks but the air/water is probably more efficient...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
7 Second Club

just do it like we do it on the ski race boats,

water to air between the tunnel ram manifold and the top hat..

works very very well and will hold air temps at a few deg above water temp
Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sick...
Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think twins would be the easiest route to go on your available space, plus it would look pretty sick! Or you could do it like the guys around my area do it! twin supercharged, twin turbo, plus nitrous... Tach Twisters hot rod club LOL

Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Teching In

This boat was one of the inspirations for my project. You might have seen my build in progress on here or over on JBP. I am going 5.3L turbo. From what I have read above I believe you mentioned that you are going back to efi. What size injectors are you thinking about running? Im going E85 so I will need 30% larger injectors. I was thinking atleast 85lb or maybe even 120lb'ers.

As for my turbo setup I am using shorty stainless headers flipped upside down and backwards with a single turbo mounted high enough to clear the transom and centered side to side behind the intake. Im planning on running a precision T76 or T67 at moderate boost and about 650-700fhp. I hope to get started on the hotside soon.

Also is that a "LS6" intake or a "LS1" intake that is currently on the motor? I would be interested in buying it from you if its a ls6 and you are going to a fast. For a fair price of course haha.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Another option is to buy the marine manifolds (without risers) for LSx motors, and make your own riser flange (not hard to do) and make a short adapter pipe to the turbos (and put your wastegate here). Since your limited on space front to rear, I'd do twins (unless you mount the turbo up high). It will cut down on a lot of heat, as neither your passengers or the fiberglass will like heat very much.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

I think I've decided to with twins and C6 manifolds.

And Sideways - I'm not sure if you were talking to me, but if you were - I don't understand the question about the intake manifold? And...if my boat was an inspiration - well then, I'm honored!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Sorry I got you confused with another LS boat that was carbed. What I was asking was if you are going to a FAST 102 would you want to sell the intake that you have on the motor now? If its a "LS6" intake I would be interested at a fair price.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways_S13
Sorry I got you confused with another LS boat that was carbed. What I was asking was if you are going to a FAST 102 would you want to sell the intake that you have on the motor now? If its a "LS6" intake I would be interested at a fair price.
The intake I have now is a carbed Super Victor - it will fit on an LS6...but it's for a carb only.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

*** I'm looking for a set of C5 and C6 Corvette exhaust manifolds. Anyone know where I can find some for a good price?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
The intake I have now is a carbed Super Victor - it will fit on an LS6...but it's for a carb only.
HAHAHA Im such a ratard. You are running a carb. For some reason I thought you were efi. My bad.

Since we are both taking on the this LS turbo jet boat endevor would you please post up any info or progress you make. Maybe in this thread or start a new thread. Maybe we could help each other out and save some headaches. I dont want to thread jack but if I find out anything useful I'll post it up here.

I cant wait til spring. We had our first hard frost here in Missouri lastnight. No chances of getting the boat wet anytime soon. There isnt a single LS powered within atleast 200miles of me that I know of, let alone a turbocharged one. These boats are going to be sick!

Quick Reply: Help me turbo my LS1 jet boat...