Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of my soon to be turbo'd LS1!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_82
with your trans break and leaving on a bunch off boost will still make it wheelie. If your chassis will hook it and you can launch at a higher rpm than what you previously did then itll still be in the air.

work slowly on the launch but get more aggresive with it and see what itll handle. I dont know your current converter specifics but it may need a new one. wont know until u try it out.

You will get tired of the wheelies in short order. they look cool but hurt perf. wouldnt it be cooler to run a 1.2x 60ft with the tires down than to run a 1.3x 60? at least to me it is. I have pictures and vids of my huge wheelies to remind me and show off basically but i want the lowest ET possible so i tuned em out, by strapping the front end
I know this sounds crazy, but I don't believe you will get a heavy *** chevelle to hook on a stock suspension without a wheelie. The higher my wheelie the better my 60ft has been. My stock suspension loves to be shocked. It works well mashing it off throttle but the wheelie in the video is leaving off the transbrake at 4k. I am a little different though. I would rather have a 1.3 with a wheelie than a 1.2 without it. I love the wheelies. Both how they look and driving it like that. Major adrenaline. I would rather have a 6.1 car in the 1/8th then a 5.98 without the wheelie. I like fast but I also like to please the crowd. It seems like drag racing is dieing around here. People enjoying seeing the cars that are slightly out of control. That is why the outlaw class is so popular in our area. Shoot they do their best just to get to the other end.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's finally starting to look like something. I am SOOOOOO glad we did not stick with our first mock up. Plus, my welding still stinks but I am improving and finally starting to understand the angles I need to make my cuts. I got everything lined up pretty even and then the passenger side hood won't shut barely. So I will have to take another inch off the exhaust manifold pipe holding up the turbo. Let me know what you guys think. I think I set it up very close to the picture I had previously posted and left enough room for my wastegate and for it to be placed at the correct angle. The down pipes are just sitting there, not attached so they don't pefectly go down behind the engine. It at least gives you an idea. I also decided that I want the BOV to show a little so I took it apart, scuffed it with a scotch brite pad and painted it with some OEM black. Now I can place it at a slight upward/sideways angle off the intake pipe when I get to it. Please critique and let me know if anything looks out of ordianary. Oh I almost forgot. I scored a fan set up. He didn't know what it went to but he gave it to me free. It was sitting with a pile of junk cars. I stuck it up next to my radiator and it is almost a damn perfect fit. I will have to make some brackets to bolt it down but other than that should work good for a set of pullers.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a lot of tedious stuff done today. I was able to get all of my down pipe completely welded up and grounded down and cleaned up a little. After I cleaned them up I scuffed them up and used High temp black on them. I do plan to go ahead and wrap the down pipe even though I know it will make it wear out quicker. Once I have this thing running and I know all is working well I plan to redo the down pipes at a later date. I also tapped out the edelbrock fuel rails to clean up the threads a little and was able to mount my regulator. My straight fittings are not going to work with the -10an so I need to exchange them out for some 90's tomorrow. I get most my fittings and fuel lines from the local trucking center. I also re painted my BOV. For some reason it turned out like crap the first time. Looks a lot better now.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

i was looking at your thread on bullet.
i wondering if my ebay intercooler is holding me back. what did you decide to do about one?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked69
I know this sounds crazy, but I don't believe you will get a heavy *** chevelle to hook on a stock suspension without a wheelie. The higher my wheelie the better my 60ft has been. My stock suspension loves to be shocked. It works well mashing it off throttle but the wheelie in the video is leaving off the transbrake at 4k. I am a little different though. I would rather have a 1.3 with a wheelie than a 1.2 without it. I love the wheelies. Both how they look and driving it like that. Major adrenaline. I would rather have a 6.1 car in the 1/8th then a 5.98 without the wheelie. I like fast but I also like to please the crowd. It seems like drag racing is dieing around here. People enjoying seeing the cars that are slightly out of control. That is why the outlaw class is so popular in our area. Shoot they do their best just to get to the other end.
You can get it to hook without a huge wheelstand, lots of people do it with SS. But if your after that type launch then by all means keep doing it. If you can leave at the right rpm and boost then itll still yank the tires.

I agree that wheelstands are cool and the crowd love them. Here are a few of mine. I had to let off in both passes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUS4W...IjxYNTvjWW9sdj

Keep up the work man, its coming along nicely and pretty quickly as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IqcCMXrWsU
Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! The second wheelie was siiiiick! I love it. Yeah, I would rather have that all day and be just a tad slower. Mine doesn't guite do it like that but I bet it feels that way. Nothing like launching and not seeing **** and staying in the throttle. lol.

-I am NOT running an intercooler. Just relying on the E85 to keep it cool and a set of twin fans.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

I have always loved your car. Seen u drive it to the track, swap tires, make several blast, and drive it home. Fkn sick yo
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by krissoto
I have always loved your car. Seen u drive it to the track, swap tires, make several blast, and drive it home. Fkn sick yo
Thanks. I appreciate that. Hopefully, this year when I show up, spectators will be like WTF? I am hoping to have my cage in it, full (quiet) exhaust and a bad *** sound system so I can listen to Kid Rock while I race.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

man i love this build. looks great!! I wish i had swaped to an ls1 in my 67 camaro.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a few more things to do until I can afford the last few items. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

1. What upper radiator hose are you guys using in the swap? I have tried 2 so far and no luck. I need one that will run along the top of my radiator and then curve back towards the waterpump. This way my Y pipe isn't in the way.
2. Are you guys using a gasket between the T4 flange on the turbo and the T4 flange from the exhaust? Or are you just spraying some type of Copper gasket sealer there?
3. I want to use my mechanical water temp guage. How do I do that on this conversion. It looks as though I need an adapter.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will need an adapter for the sensor, jagsthatrun should have one. You need to keep the factory one though. Pull the plug from the passenger head and go to napa. They should have an adapter aswell.
Yes on a gasket on the t4 flange. Copper is ideal but really any gasket for a t4 will work
Try a rad hose from a 03ish suburban / Tahoe / truck. Sounds like it should be a close fit. It's the one on my engine to give you an idea
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
You will need an adapter for the sensor, jagsthatrun should have one. You need to keep the factory one though. Pull the plug from the passenger head and go to napa. They should have an adapter aswell.
Yes on a gasket on the t4 flange. Copper is ideal but really any gasket for a t4 will work
Try a rad hose from a 03ish suburban / Tahoe / truck. Sounds like it should be a close fit. It's the one on my engine to give you an idea
Thanks.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few more things to do until I can afford the last few items. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

1. What upper radiator hose are you guys using in the swap? I have tried 2 so far and no luck. I need one that will run along the top of my radiator and then curve back towards the waterpump. This way my Y pipe isn't in the way.
2. Are you guys using a gasket between the T4 flange on the turbo and the T4 flange from the exhaust? Or are you just spraying some type of Copper gasket sealer there?
3. I want to use my mechanical water temp guage. How do I do that on this conversion. It looks as though I need an adapter.
1. from an 03 tahoe. you will have to cut it in the middle and splice it with the appropriate METAL tubing and clamps.

2. high temp ultra copper sealer in a tube

3. the fitting should be an npt pipe thread. drill hole in water pump, tap with right size, and screw the fitting in.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet build I love the older cars!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, the upper hose from an 03 suburban worked. What sucks is I could have saved $30. I got my engine from an 03 suburban but didn't get the hose. I am sure they would have given it to me.

Okay, the fitting for the water pump where you said to drill.....I am confused. I thought I need to pull the sensor out of the head (which I did) and get an adapter to use my mechanical water temp gauge? I thought I was supposed to tap the water pump to feed from the radiator for a steam vent.

Also, ran into my first snag. With the upper radiator hose and twin fans I have I cannot use a "Y pipe comeing off the throttle body. I can run a 90 off the throttle body and have it turn down in front of the fans. Once I get near the bottom of the fans I can then make a "T" to go back towards each turbo and have the turbo's pointing down. Will a "T" hurt me any or will that still be okay? Once I know this is okay, I can work on the minute stuff.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just make sure the T has nice curves. Dont T it at abrupt right angles. Think about smooth transistions every where you route any pipes.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Okay, the fitting for the water pump where you said to drill.....I am confused. I thought I need to pull the sensor out of the head (which I did) and get an adapter to use my mechanical water temp gauge? I thought I was supposed to tap the water pump to feed from the radiator for a steam vent.

I would reccomend something along the lines of the picture in post #13 of the following thread......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...y-ls1-how.html
Old 12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cylinder heads are the same layout, so on your passenger side head, there will be a plug at the rear of the cylinder head. That is where I run my water temp sensor for my gauge. I leave the factory water temp sensor in the drivers side head near the front.

Some tap the water pump. Personally I think 2 tapped connections in the water pump looks like an afterthought. Tap the waterpump for your steam vent, and use the passenger side head for the gauge, water temp sensor.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, thanks gentlemen. Mine is a 1/2" for the mechanical sender so I think I will just get the adapter for the passenger side rear portion of the head from S&P. I don't mind drilling for the steam provision and trying to keep the shavings out of the water pump without removing it but not sure I would be as lucky trying to drill and tap an 1/2" hole.

Quick Reply: Pics of my soon to be turbo'd LS1!