Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 6spd.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:46 AM
8 second mod

wow. nice set up. someone is good at photo shop. hehe j/k!
That is sweet! hope the tranny stays together! good luck and keep us posted
Old 03-11-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cr133r
As for the AEM, it really wouldn't be too difficult to do on an F-body and I could probably help you get set up (since it isn't drive by wire). The C5 is a whole different story, we weren't even sure we could pull this off in the manner we did, but the results of our work (actually I did the ECU install) speak for themselves. I could make a harness pretty easy if the GM ECU connector was available, but I don't think it is.
I think www.speartech.com might have the connectors for sale. They make harnesses for our cars.
I would definetly be interested in the AEM set up if you can make it work for 98+ F-bodies.
J
Old 03-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I think www.speartech.com might have the connectors for sale. They make harnesses for our cars.
I would definetly be interested in the AEM set up if you can make it work for 98+ F-bodies.
J
F-bodies would be CAKE... No drive by wire. I need the ECU side of the connector, not the harness side.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Teching In

F-bodies would be CAKE... No drive by wire. I need the ECU side of the connector, not the harness side.
I am still curious how you did get the drive by wire to work with the vette? I really wanna do this on my vette. Did u use the AEM ECU as a standalone, or a piggy back?

Hunter
Old 03-11-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by teamsleep13
I am still curious how you did get the drive by wire to work with the vette? I really wanna do this on my vette. Did u use the AEM ECU as a standalone, or a piggy back?

Hunter
You answered your own question its a EMS. Engine management system, it replaces your stock PCM. No piggy back.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maddboost
You answered your own question its a EMS. Engine management system, it replaces your stock PCM. No piggy back.
Actually, it is piggybacked. Thats the ONLY way at this point to get the drive by wire to work. The stock ECU can see the motor is running and actually thinks its controlling it, but the AEM is whats driving the injectors/coils. I think it could be done even easier by making the stock ECU dead to the engine and just let it think the engine has never started, but I didn't get a chance to test that (not sure if it would freak out if the car was doing 100+ with the engine not running).

The hardest part was splicing into the stock harness for the shared signals and then hard wiring the signals that were transfered completely over to the AEM. Also, it WILL go into low power mode in the current setup if it senses too much mass flow at low throttle positions. We are working on this and think we have a pretty good handle on it (I'm sure with LS1 Edit that could easily be taken care of, but we don't have a local shop with access to a shop version of LS1 Edit, we basically would just need the load table maxed out I guess).

If you turn the car on with no ecu connnected, the drive by wire does not work.

If I could find both ECU connector pairs (the ECU and harness side), I'd be more than willing to make an adapter harness for a reasonable cost, but I doubt we can find the ecu connector (short of chopping up a perfectly good ECU).

PS If anyone has a dead ECU they'd be willing to part with, I'd like to get it. I want to 'test' a few things but can't do it with the current one since its vital to the car running.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good. You should market that system. You could make some money, including some from me. Every other fi system out for LS1's is really only for stock cubes. Alot of people here actually believe that anything bigger than a 346 is a waste for fi, I've read the posts. This proves again that there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

cr33r (what does that mean btw), how are you reading the crank signal?
Old 03-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
cr33r (what does that mean btw), how are you reading the crank signal?
cr133r is back from when I raced motorcross... Raced a CR250R, but that was taken. Since my assigned race number was 133 I used that.

As for the crank signal, the ground and the signal wire are spliced into the factory harness. The stock ecu still provides power and can see the signal and by splicing in the AEM, it can also see the same signal. The only problem that I forgot to mention is that I have to modify the circuit board of the AEM to make this work. No biggie, but something that I really can't disclose because I'm not sure if AEM would want me to (Those guys helped me out quite a bit).

There is some question as to safety on the AEM/Drive by Wire. If somehow there is a failure the car may be stuck at WOT... This has always worried me, but its just the same as if the return spring broke on the throttle body. With this liability, I'd be reluctant to actually do this for anyone else...

I'm pretty confident now that it should be ok, but I still worry (I always worry about even the smallest details).

I've used the EFI Live for datalogging when we were still on the stock ECU and I've used LT1 Edit on another car... You guys would CRY if you knew how much nicer the AEM stuff was. (It can datalog internally and you can download the stuff later, so you don't have to worry about having the laptop in the car bouncing all over the place when racing).

Also it seems to be idling pretty decent at this point even considering that its got 160lb injectors in it. We are going to replace them with 92s, but the 160s were available for testing with. Drivability suffers a bit with 160s as well, but I would think the car couldn't even run with a stock ECU/160s.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Are you using the AEM to control timing and the idle?
Old 03-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Are you using the AEM to control timing and the idle?
Timing and fuel injection... Unfortunately the stock ECU controls idle since its done through the drive by wire setup. Seems to work ok though.

This is why I haven't really tried to run it without the stock ECU knowing the motor is running. I'd have to make an IAC somehow and I really don't have the time.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

So if it werent for the throttle by wire, this system would be a breeze, relativly speaking, to install?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are these P-trim or Q-trim wheels you guys are running?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't AEM already working on a system for these cars?

I posted up on their board and basically nudged for a hint and got a "were working on it" but those guys are pretty tight lipped about release dates. According to their engineers they already have a system on an engine dyno. Waiting for connectors for some sort and some additional tesing.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, they told me that about a year ago too
I think Sean was working on one for his 99.
J
Old 03-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Here's a link to some info on the car. If you want more specific details, just ask and I'll see that it gets updated.

Dark Dragon Motorsports
Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

I would love to see a system that could be piggybacked onto the fbody pcm, allowing for stock pcm to still run the emissions stuff.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a link to some info on the car. If you want more specific details, just ask and I'll see that it gets updated.

Dark Dragon Motorsports

i noticed a bunch of shell rotellaT on the bench........is that the oil youre running? ive heard its very good for turbo vehicles.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much does the AEM cost?
is it alot cheaper then the fast or gen7?

Quick Reply: C5 Dyno (408ci, Twin T66, AEM EMS)