Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

C5 Dyno (408ci, Twin T66, AEM EMS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

impressive numbers!!!!!!

what is SW's new ride?

havent heard much out of him lately...i bet its awesome though!
Old 03-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300tt
VERY IMPRESSIVE! It's about time you big engine boys started getting it done with turbos. Billy, your work is just as impressive as Chris (PM) said. Very clean setup and great numbers so far, but I'm sure that dyno will be pegged soon. Nice to see Stacey got a real winner. And to think, I remember videoing that car when SW was running it neck and neck(Supra passenger seat) against Darren's Supra (AKA Walser) one late Austin night. Luckily Darren has sold his Supra, cause I don't think 3.0 liters is gonna be able to keep up very easily anymore. Congrats, and I think I'll have to make it to the Texas Meet just to see this car.

PS, have you seen SW's new Daily.
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm only responsible for the ECU install and some of the preliminary brainstorming to figure out how the heck 2 T-66s were gonna fit under the hood. When it came time to build the car I got pretty busy with work anyways. Barry Ellis or Dark Dragon Motorsports is responsible for most of the car and for the way it looks (simply incredible).

We may have a suprise for the Texas show. Pretty much the car was built and that was the first time we dynoed. We've identified a few things that can be improved and will hopefully complete the mods by Monday. I just wish I could make the meet to see all the awesome cars that are going to be there.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I will send you a ECU to work with. If you can make me up a harness when your done with it. I will buy a aem off of you also. I just put HKS twins on my supra with a aem controller. Call me with your shipping info. 513-571-3966 Thanks Ryan
Old 03-13-2004, 01:17 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

soo, anyone want to tell me what another 1/8" of stroke might do to a set up like this? 422, 4.030x4.125.

i am planing out a future motor and it seems the 409 is a killer and relatively cheap set up but a 422 is just a few bucks more.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2khawk
that's gonna be a tall order w/ a 6 speed

not to mention keeping the shafts in it. Every time i go into mine you can see the shifted wear on the intermediate shaft gears from case flex. Borrowed time to say the least
Oh yeah - I forgot it was an M6... Maybe you'll end up having the fasted M6 out there...
Old 03-14-2004, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

Default Pulleys?

CR,

Awesome project! Nice fabrication and layout!

I am currently building a similiar type power plant for my 62' Chevy Two Pro-Touring car. It is a Darton 427 with twin 60-1's. We are building the car for a write up in Super Chevy and PHR. I just received the new frame, a couple of weeks ago, that was custom built by Art Morrison Engineering in WA. It is a 2" x 4" frame that uses a C5 front suspension.

I am at the point where we are laying out the plumbing for the turbos and routing of the exhaust system. We are having a packaging problem with the alternator and the PS pump. The headers are a "front" outlet with the turbos up top as you have. What are you doing for the alternator and PS pump???

We have a ton of room in front of the engine as it's moved back 5"! I don't have a lot of room between the frame rails do to the packaging of the C5 front end suspension.

Appreciate some details!
Old 03-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9D9LS
Appreciate some details!
We've got the alternator mounted in place of the A/C compressor and using its drive belt as well... (Removing the A/C was the only real sacrifice we had to make on the car)

The Power steering is driven with a modified idler/pulley arrangement much like the stock car with the pump mounted in the same place as stock.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:42 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

At first glance of that dyno chart, I thought the low end power was poor. Then I noticed that it had 300 foot pounds by 1500 rpms. It just looked puny compared to the 900+ side. Most excellent numbers.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting Results from the Supra National Event this weekend in Houston that the Corvette was at, also nice numbers from a Supra and a Viper:

Peter Blach '98 Black Supra 1,131.6rwhp
Stacy Barnett '98 Red Vette 1,013.0rwhp
Jason Styles '00 Black Viper 1,200rwhp/1,200rwtq **Pegged at 3300 RPM**

Mir Naziruddin
Old 03-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2K_WS6_T/A
Jason Styles '00 Black Viper 1,200rwhp/1,200rwtq **Pegged at 3300 RPM**

wow.....thats a freakin race car.

any track times from the event?
Old 03-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by got_hp?
wow.....thats a freakin race car.

any track times from the event?

i read on supra forums that Titan motorsports won the event with their supra dipping into the 8's.

did the vette run at all?

or that viper?

Last edited by got_hp?; 03-21-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

I hope you have good life insurance..and car insurance!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Titan's car was pretty sick. I didn't expect to see a Supra going that fast. 8.7's and won the event. There were a ton of street driven 10 sec 135+mph supras too which I thought was pretty sick. Some sick Vipers there too.

The vette in this thread was having some probs but was a beautiful car. I don't think pics do it justice at all.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:56 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read on corvetteorum.com that this 1000+rwhp Corvette ran a low 11 second quarter mile time on ET Streets....the same day the Supra ran a 8.7. I sure hope something was wrong with the vette and that it is faster than that! But, turbo cars seem to make insane dyno numbers and not run all that fast in the quarter, at least most LS1 turbo cars I have seen. Hope the vette gets things sorted out, it sure looks nice under that hood!

SDB
Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB
I read on corvetteorum.com that this 1000+rwhp Corvette ran a low 11 second quarter mile time on ET Streets....the same day the Supra ran a 8.7. I sure hope something was wrong with the vette and that it is faster than that! But, turbo cars seem to make insane dyno numbers and not run all that fast in the quarter, at least most LS1 turbo cars I have seen. Hope the vette gets things sorted out, it sure looks nice under that hood!

SDB
Stand by SDB, you won't be disappointed for much longer. There are a few turbo cars waiting in the wings yet
Old 03-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reckless
Stand by SDB, you won't be disappointed for much longer. There are a few turbo cars waiting in the wings yet
The car was being driven by the builder not the owner since he was tied up racing his Supra all day. I caught a couple videos of it and its obvious he wasn't running the car hard (I think he said he was only doing 97 in the 1/8). It did manage 137+MPH in the 1/4 though. (Keep in mind this was on low boost, around 775RWHP)

We will get it to the track soon though as soon as everyone recovers from the trip.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:26 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB

SDB
EDIT!!!

I just read where it managed a 10.63....a little more respectable! don't know what MPH. I just want to see a turbo LS1 (besides LPE) run good at the track. I have a 382 stroker that I am putting nitrous on now, and would be interested in going turbo IF they run hard at the track.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SDB

SDB
I was at the event and it did not look like the vette was even trying to run well. Not sure if there were problems or what, but it was really not very impressive on the track. I did not expect much on the first time out.

The supra that ran 8.7 was a pure race car with a huge turbo and n20. It was being towed up to the starting line and it blew up the motor on the last run. It had a professional looking pit crew of about 5 people. It was not something that you could really compare to most of the other cars.

Overall I was really surprised how slow the supras were out of the hole. I knew they had trouble getting out, but even the titan car looked really slow off the line. I would say more than 50% of the cars broke on or before the first pass. They did look strong once they got moving down the track and you can see where they would be tough competition on the highway. The 6 speed cars looked like they were really struggling; they would bounce all over the track on every shift.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by QuickSilver2002
I was at the event and it did not look like the vette was even trying to run well. Not sure if there were problems or what, but it was really not very impressive on the track. I did not expect much on the first time out.
I was a bit dissappointed too but such is life...

Originally Posted by QuickSilver2002
The supra that ran 8.7 was a pure race car with a huge turbo and n20. It was being towed up to the starting line and it blew up the motor on the last run. It had a professional looking pit crew of about 5 people. It was not something that you could really compare to most of the other cars.

Overall I was really surprised how slow the supras were out of the hole. I knew they had trouble getting out, but even the titan car looked really slow off the line. I would say more than 50% of the cars broke on or before the first pass. They did look strong once they got moving down the track and you can see where they would be tough competition on the highway. The 6 speed cars looked like they were really struggling; they would bounce all over the track on every shift.
You must not have ever seen Supra's race from a dig They pretty much are all like that which is why you don't ever see them wanting to race from a stop. It's all highway stuff where they don't have to worry about the lack of V8 style torque to launch and get them moving.

Just as any other all out racecars are trailored and pulled/pushed to the starting line, Titan's was no different. They blew up on the last pass but it was to win the money (which they did) so it was all good. They made those 8 sec passes all day tho. I guess I was just impressed to see the Supra going as fast as it was. I dunno how much nitrous they were using to get off the line but it didn't look like a whole lot.

I saw quite a few cars breaking due to driver error...
Old 03-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I think if the weather holds this weekend, there will be a turbo and ATI car in the 9's this weekend in Ohio

Quick Reply: C5 Dyno (408ci, Twin T66, AEM EMS)