Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What widebands allow you to have a alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

So is there no risk if you were at 99% throttle ? 90% ? 80% ? or even 50% If the alarm is only at 100% and for some reason your foot isnt planted right down...the alarm suddenly becomes useless again.
An alarm of going lean is just that. If you're at anything less than WOT, and it goes lean, that will let you know that something is wrong and quit accelerating in the manner that you are. The alarm is not useless, it still lets you know that something is not right ( at WOT)
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But a good aftermarket ecu really does open up many many options for adding protection if you wanted it.
I'm curious, what ECU were you running on this occasion?-

Of course their are ECU's out there that can do what you describe (though usually I disable WOT closed loop as they run faster with no correction), but the OP is asking about spending a few hundo on a wideband with a warning light and my advice is-

-Yes, it's not perfect but dynojet has one and it's pretty damn good.

While your advice is-

-It's useless, spend thousands on engine management and data aquisition

I'm really failing to see why it can't be useful on a car with a stock ECU. If it blinks on during a shift or hitting the rev limiter, I can make that connection.

If I'm halfway through 5th gear and it lights up solid that's a great indicator of a real problem.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I'm really failing to see why it can't be useful on a car with a stock ECU.
Or no ECU ( like me).
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm curious, what ECU were you running on this occasion?-
One without safety features ( my choice ). Nowhere did I say I was running one with a huge array of such features. I just said they were available. Although I could implement a few if I wanted.

And TBH, I was more interested in trying to hit 200+ in ( well less than a mile on that day ) than anything else. I knew it was leaner that it should be, I knew my alternator wasnt charging. I knew I shouldnt have continued racing right after the first run when the alternator failed. Hell, even the organisers ******* timing gear wasnt working properly ( hence it wasnt even a standing mile ! )

So really, all the automatic failsafes or warning lights in the world still wouldnt have made any difference. I'd have just turned them off, in the very same way I ignored everything that was telling me to stop racing.

Including ignoring the fact I needed the car to drive 500 miles home....which obviously never happened.

So posting the pictures and trying to use them as some sort of justification makes no sense.

Failsafes of any kind will only work if the user makes them work, and chooses to abide by any warnings they give.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

So posting the pictures and trying to use them as some sort of justification makes no sense.
I just found the situation ironic.

Saying "why have gauges if you can't see them" when you ignore yours.

And saying that you don't need a warning light you just need to spend the money on the most expensive engine management and data acquisition when you don't do as you suggest.

Back on to the original topic, I still stand my opinion that the dynojet wideband warning light or any warning light can be useful. If you want to agree to disagree I'm fine with that too.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I just found the situation ironic.

Saying "why have gauges if you can't see them" when you ignore yours.

And saying that you don't need a warning light you just need to spend the money on the most expensive engine management and data acquisition when you don't do as you suggest.

Back on to the original topic, I still stand my opinion that the dynojet wideband warning light or any warning light can be useful. If you want to agree to disagree I'm fine with that too.
Being able to see them and choosing to ignore them is a totally different matter.

And I'm not suggesting he does spend a few thousand on a fancy ecu. I'm just asking where do you draw the line with warning lights ?

Which ones are more critical than others ? I'd say oil pressure is a more critical light than AFR, simply because the AFR gauge tells you so much more about how the engine is running than a simple light ever will.
Warnings can be useful. But you could also spend half the day shutting down because a light flashes for no real reason and never get any racing done.

All I have maintained throughout, is if you're going to try and add a warning light for "lean mixtures", you need to take into consideration a lot of variables to make it properly effective and not give false warnings all the time..
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

All I have maintained throughout, is if you're going to try and add a warning light for "lean mixtures", you need to take into consideration a lot of variables to make it properly effective and not give false warnings all the time..
I agree completely, I must have misunderstood this-

SATAN's point and it is missed by all the stupid people in this thread.

Having a wideband with some sort of alarm....ok...so can someone detail exactly how they want or expect the alarm to work ?

If they can do that, then it will become very apparent why no widebands on the market offer it !
Either way, it appears we are on (close to) the same page now.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

i am also very interested in this, seem like it would pretty easy to put a micro switch on the carb (for us carb guys) so only allow the light to come on at WOT.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by overhere
i am also very interested in this, seem like it would pretty easy to put a micro switch on the carb (for us carb guys) so only allow the light to come on at WOT.
very easy.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mike13
very easy.
what seems to be the best controller/wideband to use for this? i have a uego now.

ive looked into this before also and i found a lean alram for nitrous but then winter cam and i lost interest in it. ill see if i can find it again.

Quick Reply: What widebands allow you to have a alarm?