Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can you run a D-1SC with a 6 rib

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you run a D-1SC with a 6 rib

I'm still beating myself up on what type of boost I want. My goal is not to hack my car up, but I also want a proven set up. I also don't want to wait for the kit to be developed, Modular turbo looks amazing, I know. It appears the D-1sc is the most popular head unit for resale etc if it ever comes off of the car.

My car is a 2002 WS6 6-speed with 14k miles, all stock internals. If I run a lower boost with the D-1SC can I run the 6 rib belt or would it be a waste to not just get the 8 rib at time of purchase? I probably will never set up to a forged bottom end unless mine scatters. With that being said, I'll probably never try to push huge amounts of air either. If I can get enough power to daily drive and still click off a mid 11, I'll be pretty happy. 10.99 would make me even happier, but I know that may be pushing it.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can run a D1SC-1 with a 6-Rib setup. However you may run into belt slip issue's and it is just more hassle then it is worth.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Back in 2002 when I ordered a ProCharger D-1SC kit for my 1999 Z28 the only belt width that was available was the six rib. We ran it at 7 psi for several years on the original belt with no belt problems at all. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know your pain. My car is a 2000 WS6 with 4,700 miles on it. I refused to hack it to pieces with a stood up radiator. The A/C was a big deal and standing up the radiator forces you to get custom lines made. I have done that on other builds but you have to have a source for it and the local parts store is not it. The CBR twin kit is where its at with the air to water intercooler. Or a procharger with an air to water intercooler. The key is leaving the stock cooling system in place as in not putting something in front of the radiator and not changing the way the air comes across it. The closer to stock the better.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand the desire to not modify or change the car as I did not want to remove any accesories or a/c. So that meant working with cruise control, traction control, power steering, and a/c.

For me, it was decided that a Procharger was the best route to go. Granted, I did cut some of the front bumper, but it's not neccesary to do so if you stay with the stock Procharger dual intercoolers.

Can a 6-rib work, sure, especially if you stay lower on the boost scale, but the nice thing is you have room to grow into the bigger boost if you really want it later on.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the 8 rib at a minimum, youll regret not getting it right away. or you could buy my SDCE 8 rib spring tensioner! LOL i upgraded to a cog setup.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Do it right the first time. 8rib and asters bracket. Might be over kill now but will leave you room to grow.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Do it right the first time. 8rib and asters bracket. Might be over kill now but will leave you room to grow.
That was my exact thought process as well. I researched FI and Prochargers specifically for about a year before putting together my kit with Bob's help.

I went with Aster's bracket from Bob, 8-rib, 7.65" ATI crank pulley, FMIC, truck hat and filter all up front because it seemed like just about everyone who had a procharger for a few years did those mods eventually.

So now I have a trouble free setup that makes optimum boost for whatever I want to put it at. I don't worry about belt slip, I don't worry about intake restriction or even temps getting too hot since I went with a FMIC setup right off the bat.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
That was my exact thought process as well. I researched FI and Prochargers specifically for about a year before putting together my kit with Bob's help.

I went with Aster's bracket from Bob, 8-rib, 7.65" ATI crank pulley, FMIC, truck hat and filter all up front because it seemed like just about everyone who had a procharger for a few years did those mods eventually.

So now I have a trouble free setup that makes optimum boost for whatever I want to put it at. I don't worry about belt slip, I don't worry about intake restriction or even temps getting too hot since I went with a FMIC setup right off the bat.
I think you and I are very much similar in that way. Taking our time and doing it right the first time. I just finished my car and can't be happier with the results I'm posting my results later tonite. Oh and to the OP. Call bob at brute speed! I cant tell you how many times italked to him on the phone. He was great help
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Can you run a D-1SC with a 6 rib