Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out a restrictor in my rear mount I am running same turbo also rear mount no more oil in charge pipes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

well i have some good news lol i saw 1psi this morning lol so its boosting, ever so slightly lol i did find another leak,, the methanal bung had oil comgin out of it from when it was still over oiling so i teflon taped that one and then wiped it down. one leak taken care of. no more excessive leaking now either. i dont have have puddles anymore.

on a good note i know for sure the turbo is spooling lol the #1 coupler that was on it was loose aparently and feel off. all of asudden i was hearing crazy amounts of spool lol it sounded really cool lol but nothign was going into the engine lol
i put a temporary hose clamp on it until i get some more tbolt clamps. i need about 3 or 4 tbolt clamps to replace the regular wormgear clamps i have on there for temps. its jsut for now until i get some new tbolt clamps.

now to see how it does on the back stretch of interstate 10 where the speed limit is 80mph gotta see when boost kicks in. im still considering getting the .81 ar housing to help it spool on the street.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like progress. I was discouraged too when I couldn't make boost. That's why I went with the .81. Turns out, it was less to do with the housing and more tracking down the boost leaks. Do you have a boost leak detector? Pop one on and check both the charge and exhaust side of the system. You'd be surprised how even a tiny leak will spill all that boost out. For me it was a crappy exhaust gasket between the manifold and the y-pipe. (Among other boost leaks).
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

How to build a boost leak detector:
Get a 2" PVC Cap from Home Depot OD is about 2.6":http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...4#.UXCqEaKHt8E

Drill a hole in the end and screw in a quick connect for your air line (Harbor Freight): http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-68192.html

Disconnect charge pipe from turbo.
Connect Boost Leak assembly you just made to charge pipe with Silicone connector
Turn Air pressure regulator down to 10 psi on air compressor
Connect air line to quick connect

Listen for leaks

Do the same thing the other direction on the exhaust side of the house. You may need an adaptor for the exhaust side.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like i might have to do that too, i was looking into that before but i might have to do the boost leak tester as well just to see if theres somthing im missing.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

You could also use a spray bottle full of soap and water and just go up and down the piping while its running
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pnykillerz28ls1
You could also use a spray bottle full of soap and water and just go up and down the piping while its running
While running the car is pulling vacuum.. I don't think it will bubble like there was an air leak in the hose, it would just suck it in.. I could be wrong.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

its possible, someone would have to be in the car giving it gas. im not sure if that would cause a boosting condition since there isnt load on the vehilce but im sure it can be done.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

I'll boost brake it while you're under there spraying the soap/water ok? hehehehehe

Actually the soap/water trick would work well with the leak detector apparatus. Hit all the welds, joints, connections, etc. May be easier than listening for air escaping. However, when I did mine, you could hear the air escaping pretty easily, till the air compressor kicked in again. It was losing that much air.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

well, im an idiot lol apparently the return hose is way too low and has scraped a few times. one of which finally took out the return hose and found a trail of oil from my house to the daycare facility to drop my kids off. thank god the house is right done hte road so i only lost about 4 quarts of oil. upon getting back to the driveway i found that it was actually already came off and leaked what was already in the hose last night didnt see it when i got in the car this morning at 0500. So a replace ment fitting is on there. gonna stop by the local speed shop that sells fittings and see if they have a low profile fitting for my application. that was scary lol
looks like ill be putting my rear up a tad lol
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Wow. That could have been bad. Hey, I thought you had some hobbes switch thingy with an alarm on it or something. No?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

lol that wouldnt matter since it wouldnt cause a back up of oil in the pre pump hose lol there was nothing but free flow out the turbo and onto the street lol
the alarm is for too much/backing up oil or the pump failing. not the hose being pulled out of the an fitting. its nice and tight in there now lol had to use a 90 degree an fitting for now. im gonna go to see if i can find a better one. the sooner the better.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

might as well see if they have tbolt clamps too lol
Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Aha. Gotcha. Well, glad you caught it in time.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZNix
While running the car is pulling vacuum.. I don't think it will bubble like there was an air leak in the hose, it would just suck it in.. I could be wrong.
Yea I should have specified I ment for exhaust leaks, and if you do the pressure test thing
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

ive got to get a pressure test and leak test done on the whole thing. im sure im missing somthing. its building pressure and the turbo is working and its getting plenty of oil. ive got somthing hemoraging boost somewhere. i gotta get it on a lift and have someone run it while i check for leaks and sounds.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 PM

I was intending to run an oval charge pipe for that section.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

well i did it. i ordered this. this seems like it will tuck up high away from the ground lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190747513577...84.m1438.l2649
ive got to tuck that drain up higher. even the 90degree elbows are too low. i think my drain flange itself has somthing to do with that. we will see. cant wait to see how this will bring up one more item form the ground lol
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Teching In

hey hows the build going? i'm running a 76mm rear mount on my 383 ls1 at 14psi. its an sts kit but if you want the instructions it'll help give some guidance for a system that works.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

its going alright. just shaking off the grimlins lol fixed a littlw somthing and installed a new oil drail flange that i recommend to EVERYONE that runs a rear mount lol

before

and a very much better after

I also did some adjusting... well i jacked the turbo op and then zip stripped the intake side of the turbo to the old exhaust hanger lol gained alot of clearance. im gonna see if i can get a stainless steel version on the intake side so i can have a hook weled on it to help support the turbo better

the oil return looks so much better now now since its higher i have to take out some more pre-pump return hose lol im thinking im gonna run it under the axle now but not completly sure. that or run it striaght over the top of the axle. im also looking into a stronger pump. a turbowerks is definitly one of my to do list

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)