Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

unless futher tweeking is needed. I think I got most of it done.

lol ugly I know, but gets the job done for now lol

Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's go to the drags
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

ug, id love to, but now since I relocated pipes, of course im hunting down boost leaks again lol I didn't really want to touch the pipe work until I finalized the tuning but I wanted to get the piping up off the ground. now im trying to figure how to get a somewhat ovalized piping over the tire. I talk to the guy at the muffler shop on dyer and he looked at me like I was crazy lol i gonaa see if i can fab something up myself.
i also blew off a coupler on the compressor lol car sounds like it has a super charger lol gotta tighten that sucker back on lol
Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I might have found a really good deal on a cam and valve springs. still waiting to see if the guys still willing to sell it for as cheap as he's saying it is for. not quite as big as tick recommended, but im pretty sure a comp cams 224/228 114+4 cam could get my car to be motivated and be a fun car to drive with a turbo plus with the extra exhaust duration, could help with the rear mount application.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
unless futher tweeking is needed. I think I got most of it done.

lol ugly I know, but gets the job done for now lol

Someone has to say (because I KNOW there are plenty people who've read it and thought this ...
I WOULD NOT show any pictures of that ... poor car.
I know Form Follows Function but you can put even the slightest amount of effort into the form to at least make it "presentable."
Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

its a start and work in progress. never said it was done. im trying to get it to sit right and as I get better feeling of how I want it to look ill change it.
Unlike a lot of other members on this forum, I actually work for a living and this car is a dedicated daily driver that I have to keep up and running to get me to that job in order to feed my hobby and my children for that matter, so I apologize if I don't have all the shiney new name brand pieces that make people get all excited about in their pants. My job also is much more important them my car, which happens to be the US Army, so if my progress and "form" arnt as pretty as some peoples, then oh well. if I had all the cash all at once, then I would have everything at once to make it pretty. Its also a work in process. I test out how something works and then fine tune it.
It looks better then what it did.
If all that concerns you is "presentation" then I guess I might disappoint you. Im also pretty sure my car isn't the worst in "presentation" when it comes to mods.

Show car no... but functional daily driver that can be legally driven on public roads, get me to work and home dependably, be shipped to and from a foreign country with the highest automotive inspection standards, pass German and Texas inspections, drop off a couple kids off at school and daycare, and then take me to the track and have a good time and then go home and then do it again all while not having parts randomly falling off or breaking down.... then im pretty happy with it.
as stated its a work in progress that I will improve as I go along with it.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Interesting build. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, and I promise to make it prettier as I get the time lol
Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

I was a busy bee today lol I had a solid pipe made for the wheelwell form one end to the other out of mild steel. I had parts flattened to fit. ill post pics once I get the final fit. im also gonna paint it so its hidden better.
and yeah, that flex pipe don't seal crap lol so im glad I got a solid pipe.

im wondering if I should get a smaller diameter ypipe like a 2.5" ypipe. the damn current ypipe is hanging down too much, and to up the spool a tad. im scraping the ypipe now that I lost the driver side ypipe support

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 08-09-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after reading this thread im so glad i ditched yhe rearmount idea
Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

lol yeah, well, its not eveyones cup of tea. Im tackling things that other people have either not thought of, or just gave up cause it was harder then they thought it would be to get it started. Having sts not give a complete product in the beginning also doesnt help. Also people that give up because they are use to instant gratification of a front mount that doing any kind of "work" discourages most. Tearing out the whole front end of my car just wasn't something I was ready to do yet nor loosing my A/C because im not willing to switch out my already expensive UMI RR-Kmember for an even just as expensive turbo BMR turbo k-member that I have to do all that hard work, all over again.

Anyway, heres some pics ive had of my latest prototype for the over the wheel pipe.
After I had an exhaust shop bend it into place, I finalized the fit myself. I massaged the pipes a bit to conform to the wheelwell. It fits pretty well. I need to support it with something so that its alittle more secure. High temp painted it to help conceal it a bit. I need to adjust it. its touching the tire when I turn it to the right alittle.

that part that peaks out on the front is the only part that touches. im gonna modify the bump mounting bracket so it can fit the pipe better.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 08-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bad! Hardly notice it's there when painted. Nice!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

thanks
yeah, im still trying to get it to fit just right, but gotta give it to the guy at the muffler shop for taking my coat hanger mockup and bent the pipe to fit the car the front portion of the pipe so that it sits without rubbing the tire.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

i think I got it. gotta go try it out, but I adjusted it so that it tucks up better.

I might snuggle up the support a tad to pull the pipe to the front but other then that I think I got it right. I even test fitted the wheelwell shield and I could almost put it in there as if the pipe wasn't there. Theres only a couple spots that hit, the two top most left and right parts and a touch in the middle but I could cut a section out of it that snugs right in to it and I could protect the metal and piping portions all up and not get water in the rocker portion as well coming along nicely. Now to fine tune the back portion so its more "stealthly".
Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

alrighty! got a new oil pump in. sounds so much better then the old pump. The gears sound smoother and dont "grind" s much aas the old one so i guess the other pump was older then i thought.only time will tell if it can handle the oil amount. i also starightened out the oil return to the pump.
lso managed to get the rear cross over charge pipe up higher, so now again the lowest part of the car is unfortunatly the ypipe. i thinking to get ride of some of the boost least on the exhaust is to ditch the 3" ypipe and get a 2.5" ypipe, not cats or resonators get better clearnance and better boost responce.

also drove around post and tested the clearnace of the piping and the undercarage. No bottoming out anymore. i can actually slwly drive over speed bumps again not that i go out of my way, but military bases love to put speed bump randomlly aruond post lol

no rubbing on the front tire havnet tested it out at speed for highspeed impacts, but so far, its pretty good. not too shabby for a rear mount turbo setup. also got ride of about 5 couplers so thats less boost leak potentials.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 08-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

was wondering if anyone knows the diameter of SLP ypipes? Im thinking of swaping out my 3" ORYpipe for a smaller diameter ypipe like 2.5" I still would rather not put my stock ypipe in there but if I have to, then so be it. im trying to gain some clearance and gain some heat/spool in the process. will mke wrapping a lot easier
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

i found it. 2.5" on the inlet sides and then normal 3" outlet tot he I pipe. found one for $100 on ebay. thinking I might pick it up to change out the piping.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Default turbo build!!

I like some of your ideas !! I also like that you stuck with it, and did what you could manage while working. I have alot of respect for you, and for your service in the armed forces!
Thanks,
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

thanks on all counts. When i do somthing, i go all the way, regardless if i ultimatly fail or not. Its a military mind set i suppose lol So far ive done ok, upgrading as i go and trying to beautify it at the same time. right now, ive got a few uglys underthere but mostly the cosmetic stuff that im trying to get done. my whole goal for this build is to make the additions as seamless as possible and OEM looking as possible.

On a update note, ive got my SLP y-pipe and 3" to 2.5" reducers. SO i know what im doing on my day off tomorrow
Old 08-31-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

SLP ypipe has been welding into place on all spots. no flange leaks to worry about now and all welds seem to be holding. no puff puff sounds from welds. just need to check for charge pipe leaks and should be good to go. gotta wrap the ypipe and that should be that.

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)