Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or turn the vats off in the PCM. Just ask your tuner to do it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
The issue is not with the key. The issue is that the design of the wiring from the ignition to the VATS runs in the steering column. The wiring bends every time you turn a corner. For some reason, our cars are prone to wearing that wire out in a certain spot. When that happens, the first sign is Security light (because the resistance is different on the thinner wire... I think). Eventually, the wire breaks from the back and forth bending. When that happens, you have to get towed and either replace the whole ign switch or solder in a resistor and bypass the ign wire to the key. Better to do it now than get stuck and have to do it later. Mine left me stuck after work 3 times before I was made aware of this issue. That was on my first car (2000 V-6). When it happened the first time on this one, I had it taken care of right away.

Another 2 threads that may be helpful to you: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...de-please.html
What resistor do I need?: http://www.vatskey.com/vats/lostvatskey.htm

Glad you've got BOOST! LOL Congratulations!
yeah, ill look into that alittle more and thanks. its about time isn't it lol

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
im thinking I might have that done next time I go there. I can still use ,my keyfob right? the car just wont care if the the key is chiped or not right?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

correct
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Wow. Very cool. Didn't know that. Thnx Cam72aro! Will keep that in mind for my 72 build.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Wow. Very cool. Didn't know that. Thnx Cam72aro! Will keep that in mind for my 72 build.
No worries. I did it on my 72 that I used to have. Have done it on several cars with key problems. I had a customer that brought me a pos car that was a pieced together from his other car that was totaled. He ran a wire from the vats module to his old key and had it visegripped to it. It was hillarious. I turned it off and he was thrilled.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come to think of it, I don't think I have the key to the steering column for the 4th gen. Hmmm. I may be going with a push to start setup in that car (Secured RFID of course).
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

got to see 9psi this morning. car still runs great. going to see if I can get a final tune next week Friday. unless I can squeeze it in this week which I doubt. also gonna get a new scavenger. this one I think just cant keep up. still getting smoke out the exhaust and I think some oil on the intake side. I park the car nose down so I keep most of the oil by the engine but I still think I need a better oil pump.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates? I've been following your whole build, curious to see your final numbers.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, havnt updated in a awhile.
So far I get 9psi pretty consistently. once warmed up the car pulls hard! I break traction when it kicks into 2nd lol time to invest in some NT05s lol
smoke has actually subsided so I think the oiling issue is fixed but I am gonna get a turbowerx pump eventually to have a little more piece of mind. still havnt got the final tune yet. gonna see if I can get it tuned next week Friday. been really busy around the house and doing other stuff. car still feels great. im assuming the tuner has the car set very rich to be able to be boosting without having any fine tuning done. cant wait to see what numbers I can get. still have lots of adjustment left in the MBC so 12psi is very possible
turbo spools nice and you can hear it now
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Thats awesome! I'm just finishing my front mount with the on3 t76 and .96 housing. All the vids i've seen with this turbo i couldn't really hear the turbo so its good to hear yours sounds good. Good luck with the tune, hope you get some big numbers.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

front mounts wont have as much of the "turbo" sound as a rear mount will. less exhaust to go thru unless you do a bumper dump or something similar but for sure you can here it when I get on it. first you get that V8 muscle car sound and then the turbo takes over its pretty bad *** lol cant wait to get a video of it on the dyno and at the track
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

I've been waiting 23 pages to hear this thing, lol. I bet its awesome finally getting the bugs worked out. On a side note, did you tap the feed for a 1/8 or 1/4 to 4 an?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

yeah I know. everytime you think you got it, something else pops up.
as for the tapping, I believe it was a 1/8 NPT into 4an adaptor fitting on the oil block for the feed.

decided to get a brand new cheapy scavenger pump to see if the current pump is on its way out since it was used. it also sounds kinda like it sucked something up and the gears arnt "smooth" sounding while running. although I don't mind, but I don't want the gears to get stuck for some reason and then no oil. plus its good to have a spare pump for just in case after I switch out the old one. next tax season ill get an exa-pump but for now these cheapys are doing their jobs. id just like a little less oil on start up and prolonged sits between runs.

I might be sneaking the car into the dyno this Friday. still waiting to see if they have room and time.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
yeah I know. everytime you think you got it, something else pops up.
as for the tapping, I believe it was a 1/8 NPT into 4an adaptor fitting on the oil block for the feed.

decided to get a brand new cheapy scavenger pump to see if the current pump is on its way out since it was used. it also sounds kinda like it sucked something up and the gears arnt "smooth" sounding while running. although I don't mind, but I don't want the gears to get stuck for some reason and then no oil. plus its good to have a spare pump for just in case after I switch out the old one. next tax season ill get an exa-pump but for now these cheapys are doing their jobs. id just like a little less oil on start up and prolonged sits between runs.

I might be sneaking the car into the dyno this Friday. still waiting to see if they have room and time.
Cool make sure to get a video!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

still waiting to get dynode, they are backed up in the tune shop something fierce and since my car is about 80% there, rich if anything, im not too worried about it for now. havnt gone to race it anyway and since the turbo doesnt start spooling until 3000+ rpm, its not a big worry.

What I am doing today was inspired by a felloe member here,
im going to put the long charge pipe up into the rocker panel and up over the driver tire. Hides there pretty well and will get my low pipe under the K-member form draggin on the damn ground. that's the only pipe that hits anything. even the long charge pipe doesn't hit anything other then big speed bumps. so here goes my inprogress build lol
Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

oh this looks SOOO much better!! got the long pipe up in the rocker. everythings hooked up and in their right place. need to get a few more extra clamps but I even managed to get the axle hump in there so now I have almost all under car clearance. need to tuck that damn turbo up higher again though. heres a few pics. ill post more of the final product later.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

now mind you these were in progress pics so it still had the old charge pipe routing that is now gone. also finally got rid of the AIR pump and its mounting bracket while I was in there lol so I lost a couple pounds and gained some clearance.
I got the wheel well piping tucked up better now that its all clamped into place.
Now all I need to do is get that better pump in there, put some clamps on a few couplers, and brace up the turbo a tad.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

and pretty close to final product. im gonna see how I can get my wheel well splash guard can go back in there.

as you can see, my turbo is dangerously close to the ground.... again need to get a brace to help keep it tucked up against the body.
part of the problem is the pan hard bar rests on the snout of the turbo when the car is raised. I also noticed some pretty scrapped up couplers prior to the dissaembly so im sure those could have been a source of minor boost leaks

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 07-28-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

and done lol
tucked up my turbo I can now fit my entire fist under the turbo and the ground
fixed up some loose wrappings, and re-clamped all my loose couplings. I secured the turbo up by some cheap exhaust straps on the drivers side rubber hanger and then strapped the turbo up directly to the panhard support rod

I also used a stainless steel flexpipe over the wheel well. not sure how this will hold boost yet but tucks up better over the wheel without rubbing. the original design was rubbing the 3 couplers above the wheel on mild bumps so ya, a little more clearance was in order. I also supported the tubing up so that it stays in place over the wheel so it doesn't fall. im thinking of ovalizing the over wheel piping to gain some more clearances.

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)