Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex in Houston
Someone has to say (because I KNOW there are plenty people who've read it and thought this ...
I WOULD NOT show any pictures of that ... poor car.
I know Form Follows Function but you can put even the slightest amount of effort into the form to at least make it "presentable."
I was thinking that

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
its a start and work in progress. never said it was done. im trying to get it to sit right and as I get better feeling of how I want it to look ill change it.
Unlike a lot of other members on this forum, I actually work for a living and this car is a dedicated daily driver that I have to keep up and running to get me to that job in order to feed my hobby and my children for that matter, so I apologize if I don't have all the shiney new name brand pieces that make people get all excited about in their pants. My job also is much more important them my car, which happens to be the US Army, so if my progress and "form" arnt as pretty as some peoples, then oh well. if I had all the cash all at once, then I would have everything at once to make it pretty. Its also a work in process. I test out how something works and then fine tune it.
It looks better then what it did.
If all that concerns you is "presentation" then I guess I might disappoint you. Im also pretty sure my car isn't the worst in "presentation" when it comes to mods.

Show car no... but functional daily driver that can be legally driven on public roads, get me to work and home dependably, be shipped to and from a foreign country with the highest automotive inspection standards, pass German and Texas inspections, drop off a couple kids off at school and daycare, and then take me to the track and have a good time and then go home and then do it again all while not having parts randomly falling off or breaking down.... then im pretty happy with it.
as stated its a work in progress that I will improve as I go along with it.
I don't think this is about spending extra money on stuff. Its more about planning and quality of your work.

I think its very cool what you are doing, just slow down a bit and spend more time thinking about what is going to last the longest and be the most efficient use of your cash. Redoing part of a turbo project the second time because something was incorrect the first time just means money was wasted the first time. Also you are very lucky a the tuning shop does not charging you for every problem they find on your car. Most tuners don't like to be mechanics when they are just paid to tune.

If you are worried about your family and money is tight modifying your daily driver like this is not what I consider responsible.

With all that said, your too far into this to stop now. Keep up the work. Any updates?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 133 Likes on 105 Posts

I hear ya.
money wise isn't the problem as is the time to do it. I usually have a slew of parts just sitting around in my garage waiting to go on my car. Getting to it is another thing.

Definitely too far into it now to turn back lol
getting out the 3" ORY for the SLP 2.5" definitely helped make the turbo a touch more responsive. once I wrap it, should feel better.
I gotta double check the cold side for leaks and clean out the intercooler of oil from the previous leaks, I think it should be good to go. once I make 9psi again im gonna take it to the tune shop to get a final tune for 12ish psi.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Teching In

i'm just waiting for this thing to put down 675whp and make me chuckle.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

HA lol not looking for that high of number, but 500hp would be nice. getting some decent 12ish runs in the 1/4 would be nice too.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

well, on a scary note, after I ad the welding shop get the SLP pipe on, I wasn't getting any boost and the car would almost stall out on WOT but was getting 11-12.5 AFRs and fuel pressure was at a solid 68PSI sooooo I was most definitely had the WTF face on.
Poped the hood and started poking around. did a quick throttle bump by hand and witness my top silicon elbow into the Throttle body insta-collapes. guess the heat finally took its toll, so a 4" to 2.5" reducer and a 90 degree aluminum pipe was put in its place. FIXED thought that was the end of it but noticed the car still fell on its face past 3500RPM. Also noticed that I had no spool sound out of the turbo..... so today I investigate and low and behold a stuck turbine wheel EEK!! My initial thought is, "Crap, now I gotta get a new turbo" BUT WAIT! THERES MORE!!!
turns out the welding shop must have left me some presents inside the piping and got lodged in the wheel casue I turned the wheel by hand and was pretty tough at first and then it spun freely and spun after I let it go. started the car up and TADA!! spinning turbo. Stupid welding slag. NOw to see what my boost is at again tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehehe... Sheesh! What an emotional nightmare! Hope all works out!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

well, on a scary note, after I ad the welding shop get the SLP pipe on, I wasn't getting any boost and the car would almost stall out on WOT but was getting 11-12.5 AFRs and fuel pressure was at a solid 68PSI sooooo I was most definitely had the WTF face on.
Poped the hood and started poking around. did a quick throttle bump by hand and witness my top silicon elbow into the Throttle body insta-collapes. guess the heat finally took its toll, so a 4" to 2.5" reducer and a 90 degree aluminum pipe was put in its place. FIXED thought that was the end of it but noticed the car still fell on its face past 3500RPM. Also noticed that I had no spool sound out of the turbo..... so today I investigate and low and behold a stuck turbine wheel EEK!! My initial thought is, "Crap, now I gotta get a new turbo" BUT WAIT! THERES MORE!!!
turns out the welding shop must have left me some presents inside the piping and got lodged in the wheel casue I turned the wheel by hand and was pretty tough at first and then it spun freely and spun after I let it go. started the car up and TADA!! spinning turbo. Stupid welding slag. NOw to see what my boost is at again tomorrow.
I got a piece of weld slag stuck in my wastegate before. Welding shop did a bang up job for sure. Its almost impossible to keep contaminants out of the exhaust streamwhen welding if the turbo is still connected.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 PM

well i finally made a final decision with no going back for now. got me an ON3 T76 .81AR with journal bearing coming.

Oakley Sunglasses

Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C6arl93son
well i finally made a final decision with no going back for now. got me an ON3 T76 .81AR with journal bearing coming.

Oakley Sunglasses

NICE! kinda wish i went with the .81 housing, but the .96 housing will leave me room to grow i suppose lol flows nice up top though

make sure you prelube it and spin it by hand a few time to make sure it sins freely. they are pretty tight and i think pretty dry too lol so don't trying and force it with a bunch of hot air and dry internals and have a stuck wheel lol
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3800SII
I got a piece of weld slag stuck in my wastegate before. Welding shop did a bang up job for sure. Its almost impossible to keep contaminants out of the exhaust streamwhen welding if the turbo is still connected.
yeah, im just glad it didn't take out my turbo completely. ill have to keep an eye on the wastegate just to make sure, but im pretty sure its ok.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

welp, moved the wastegate reference back to the intake manifold and checked all the intake pipes. im not seeing any leaks so far. still gotta wrap the exhaust. ran out of time tonight due to rain. its been a freak rainy season. we got at least 2" of rain just this morning and its still raining. if anyone knows the el paso area, when it rains it just puddles up and floods everywhere. No water sucked up unlike what everyone keeps fearing and saying will happen. huh, guess another rear turbo myth debunked lol

I was trying to install my return check valve too but the rain picked up too much and I only had time to put the rear tire back on lol
I also turned up the MBC to see if I can get 10psi tomorrow on my drive to work since its flooded right now on the roads. just turned it once.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Smile

Awesome thread, read the whole thing cuz I've been thinking of doing this to my Z28 while I've been stuck in Korea. I'll be at bliss in a couple weeks and I'd love o see this monster in person. Superior job man, managing to pull it all off while pulling duty. I feel ya man. And you gotta show me all the proper shops to go to locally since I no longer own a welder due to deployments and pcs moves lol. Great car man, very inspired
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

dude, if only you were getting here sooner lol
Im heading out here by next week. Ive been busy getting ready to move yet again all this past month. My wife got her percentage for military disability and finaled out the 20th of Sept. house hold goods already packed and gone. Just hanging out here in ft bliss until after the this weekend only cause I had a 3 day Army weekend but due to this government shutdown, looks like I wont be even doing that. sucks too cause I was training to get a good APFT score so im gonna have to just eep training lol unlike most reservists, I try to not look like a reservasarous rex lol I also pass my PT test everytime. On one note on that, coming rom Korea to Ft Bliss, just be ready for your run time to suck a bit as you get acclimatized. Ive done that PCS move before and it sucks! I had an LT that ran 11s and he got to FT Bliss and it dropped to high 13s... as for myself, I wen tform mid 14s to just under 16 flat which at the time was close to not passing at the time lol but im good now.

Thanks for the props. its still a work in progress but its getting there. I think im gonna get hP tuners so I can start tuning myself. The Tuning Shop I was going to closed up shop. I wouldn't really recommend them. Their customer service is "ok" and the tuner is "ok" but is a bit of a premadonna and a it of an ***. Although he can tune LS motors, you can tell this guys is more into imports so he doesn't really listen to you when you want him to do something. For example, he was hell bent on not tuning my car without the MAF sensor so that I could run in speed density and he still hasn't turned off the SES light since the MAF is disconnected.

As for welding, Patriot Exhaust shop is pretty much the best one with really good prices. They welded up my whole rear mount section for $100

I hear that there is another tuning shop called RPM but im not too sure. havnt had the time lately to see. and I wasn't ready to shell out another $400 for new HPtuner credits and tuning session hence why I am gonna get HP Tuners
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Teching In

dude, if only you were getting here sooner lol
Im heading out here by next week. Ive been busy getting ready to move yet again all this past month. My wife got her percentage for military disability and finaled out the 20th of Sept. house hold goods already packed and gone. Just hanging out here in ft bliss until after the this weekend only cause I had a 3 day Army weekend but due to this government shutdown, looks like I wont be even doing that. sucks too cause I was training to get a good APFT score so im gonna have to just eep training lol unlike most reservists, I try to not look like a reservasarous rex lol I also pass my PT test everytime. On one note on that, coming rom Korea to Ft Bliss, just be ready for your run time to suck a bit as you get acclimatized. Ive done that PCS move before and it sucks! I had an LT that ran 11s and he got to FT Bliss and it dropped to high 13s... as for myself, I wen tform mid 14s to just under 16 flat which at the time was close to not passing at the time lol but im good now.

Thanks for the props. its still a work in progress but its getting there. I think im gonna get hP tuners so I can start tuning myself. The Tuning Shop I was going to closed up shop. I wouldn't really recommend them. Their customer service is "ok" and the tuner is "ok" but is a bit of a premadonna and a it of an ***. Although he can tune LS motors, you can tell this guys is more into imports so he doesn't really listen to you when you want him to do something. For example, he was hell bent on not tuning my car without the MAF sensor so that I could run in speed density and he still hasn't turned off the SES light since the MAF is disconnected.

As for welding, Patriot Exhaust shop is pretty much the best one with really good prices. They welded up my whole rear mount section for $100

I hear that there is another tuning shop called RPM but im not too sure. havnt had the time lately to see. and I wasn't ready to shell out another $400 for new HPtuner credits and tuning session hence why I am gonna get HP Tuners
Oh man can I have a run before you leave? I have hpt btw its only $100 to get credits for one car.or more depending on the 2 bar map or more
Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, it cost me $200 for my 2bar speed density tune from HP tuners for the tuner to tune it. probley wont be able to even run it. ill be putting it on a trailer Friday and then head off Saturday morning to Wisconsin.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

wrapped the majority of the ypipe. today, put a larger spectra air filter in right up on the turbo. that helped with spool tremendously. the turbo likes the larger filter! also figured out why the car felt like it was "starving" for air. the air filter was nice and clogged with our fine el paso sand and dirt. the filter was starving the engine. Glad I decided to jut get ride of the snorkel and went with a large 9" filter.
Also changed the trans filter and installed a trans pan with a plug so I can change the oil more often.
I also got rid of the axle hump since I think that was causing too much restriction. car feel soo much better. explains why the elbow on the throttle body collapsed when I played with the throttle.

trans shifts nicly now too since I replaced the original filter with a new one. holy crap was the filter gunked up, even with completely new oil through the whole system. put some B&M trickshift trans oil in the trans.

car feels nice, now just to get that damn wheelwell pipe to seal. gotta find a pipe expander to seal up this damn thing.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Launching!

This has to be the absolute most inefficient turbo set up I have ever seen. You could have already built a front mount set up for the same money, had better spool and power. And about a bazillion less silicone couplers.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

weeeeeellllllll its working just fine now! saw 10psi and backed off. scared the **** out of me but let me go into deal here lol

so it starts with me moving back to Wisconsin
then able to use 93oct again
then lower elevation
then the nice cool air we have up here
then new higher methanol percentage washer fluid (about 60/40)
equals a bad *** car to drive again. I need to get the fuel leaned out a touch cause im seeing 10.1 at WOT. Car finally sounds and feels like a turbo car. the BOV actually chirps now! the turbo spools by 35mph, noy sure on RPM yet. gotta get that logged later at a dyno shop.

Just a blast to drive! I cant keep my foot out of it lol

as for the "inefficentcy" ok.... I wanted a rear mounted turbo STREET car. judging by your signature, you track your car a lot I would guess to venture.... that's cool, that what you want to do. As you noticed, im not looking for 700+ hp, a solid reliable car that I can go to the track occasionally and have fun is what im looking for.
judging by the cars feel on launching, I bet I could click out high 12 runs with out even changing the tire pressures or raising the MBC. that's plenty for me right now. the couplers have been reduced over time and im looking at getting some joints welded

as for setup, id recommend different size turbos for different elevations. a slightly smaller turbo would have spooled better like a T70 with a .81 at 4000FT+ elevation lol
but for the elevation in Wisconsin is perfect for a t76
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Launching!

I understand all that street car talk, yes my car is by no means a dd. I still don't really see the point though. With all the hassle you had with this set up you could have already built a better front mount "dd friendly kit." I also understand not having the money to do it like the pro's do hence why I used on3 stuff as well to learn how to fabricate a turbo system. What you have though just looks dangerous to me, using plumbers tape to secure the turbo, the turbo is a fist width off the ground waiting to hit anything loose on the road.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

The turbo is higher then most setups with a larger turbo. Not sure about the "plumbers tape" but Im using universal exhaust hanger straps to help hold up the turbo by a structural portion of the car. The rest of the turbo is supported by exhaust hangers in three places and the exhaust its self is holding a lot of it in place. Its NOT moving. ive tried.
As for the hassle, it did be a pain for some reason in el paso, but as soon as I got the car off the trailer in Wisconsin, it was like all the boost issues went away and its like I got a new car. ive got 10psi reliably every time. It comes on about 3500ish. with some more wrapping, I can get some more heat. Ive already picked out a larger cam that will be more beneficial later from Tick.

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)