Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Charge Temp Bias / HPtuners

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Charge Temp Bias / HPtuners

How many of you have it disabled and how is your tune with temp swing changes?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxgee
How many of you have it disabled and how is your tune with temp swing changes?
It depends on which OS. Some it may be listed in the tune, but you can't change it.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you completely disable something that predicts fueling needs based on temperature? It would be like running a carburetor with a disabled bias table and open loop tune. Instead of disabling it try experimenting with it to compensate for your fuel swings. This is assuming you're running a 01+ operating system, as everyone with the ability to should.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Disabling it makes it run of IAT only.
It's disabled on ZR1s and hptuner recommends disabling if your IAT sensor has been relocated. Wanted to gage what guys are doing around this.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Are you referring to timing vs. IAT? If so, I don't understand why you would completely disable this. If anything, it can be used as a safety feature. If youre IAT's get hot during a pull or if you were hot lapping the car, you can pull timing to help save the motor.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Red face

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Are you referring to timing vs. IAT? If so, I don't understand why you would completely disable this. If anything, it can be used as a safety feature. If youre IAT's get hot during a pull or if you were hot lapping the car, you can pull timing to help save the motor.
No, I'm referring to Cylinder Charge feature. This can be enabled or disabled.
There is a Bias and Filter option. If disabled the charge temp values will be soley from IAT, if on it will use a variance between ECT and IAT. Higher numbers in the Bias section will lean towards ECT. Wondering what you guys are doing that are running Turbo applications and you have relocated the IAT sensor. Are you having large fuel swings when on OPEN LOOP?

Last edited by maxgee; 02-07-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

To disable it you set it to 1 which makes it reference ECT. Setting it to 0 gives 100% control soley to the IAT sensor which causes much larger fuel swings based on air temp. HP Tuners does not recommend any tuning methods, it's against their legal practice.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Many are having to teak tunes that are in open loop when temp swings high or low vs the time when they originally tuned their car. Curious how the members on this board where dealing with this issues.
Reckon not many are tuning their own cars on here.
Theirs been a lot debate on how to remedy this on the hptuner forum.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The original IAT location is in the MAF sensor in the OE application for a specific reason. If you change the location of the IAT sensor to more accurately read IAT's before combustion (such as with a roots type supercharger) then the original intent and purpose of this "modeling" no longer applies. I believe you should only disable this if you have an intake mounted roots/screw type supercharger since the IAT sensor is relocated directly into the the lower intake.

To answer your question, the temp does not "swing" in the manner that you are thinking (for me anyhow), even when changing to a thermistor with a faster refresh rate. My IAT's climb and fall gradually when getting into boost, but nothing like you are thinking. My car runs great no matter what the ambient temps are...if that is what you are truly asking.

I think you guys are putting too much thought into what this function actually does. IAT still has every bit of impact in fuel and timing even with this specific feature disabled.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

He is talking about day to day temp swings or season changes. 80 during the day to say 50 at night. The original IAT is not located in the maf on an fbody, it's right above the radiator in the intake tract and can play hell on SD tunes in the stock location.

Quick Reply: Charge Temp Bias / HPtuners