Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My twin turbo shopping list....Comments/advise welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My twin turbo shopping list....Comments/advise welcome

I'm starting to piece together my twin turbo kit for my 02 Fbody. My car will be a street/strip with a forged LS3 hoping to put out at least 1000RWHP thru a TH400 and 8.8...all on E85. So far I have both turbos (Ebay GT45s) and a pair of truck manifolds. I'm now looking at purchasing a few other parts and I want to know if my list is on the right track before I start breaking the wallet.

Here’s what my shopping list consist of…

1 – Threadstone TwinTurbo Intercooler TRTTC9
Core Size, 25" X 9" X 3.5"
1-3" outlet and 2-2.5" inlets
Outlet is angled 15 degrees
1950 CFM flow rate
1300 HP efficient
2psi pressure drop at 1950cfm
2 – OBX 38mm WGs w/ V-band clamps
1 – OBX 50mm BOV
4” downpipes w/ electronic cutouts
2.5” turbo-to-intercooler pipes
3.0” Intercooler-to-intake pipe
2.5” Exhaust manifold-to-turbo pipes
Misc. lines for oil supply and drainage.
Silicone couplers.
V-bands for solid connections

Can you guys please go through my list and tell me what you think. Are charge pipes too small or intercooler too small, etc, etc. If you would change anything can you please tell me why and what to replace it with. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
BTW, I will be documenting everything every step of the way.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm looks like your missing 2 turbos
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Can't except the smart ASSES TO ACTUALLY READ EVERYTHING can you?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

He said he already has 2 ebay gt45 turbos.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have 2 turbos and 2 manifolds.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Is the outlet on that Treadstone IC 3" I.D. or 3" O.D.? I had an IC that had a 3" O.D. With the cast end tanks, that made the I.D only 2 5/8". That is too small for 1000whp. In my opinion even 3" I.D. is too small for 1000whp but clearly the IC states it is efficient at 1300 fwhp so... yeah.

For your down pipes, you don't need to go a full 4" if you are running two of them. It won't hurt anything and bigger is always better when it comes to down pipes, but sometimes room can be a problem. I would not go smaller than 3" though.

You could do 2.25" IC pipes going to the IC and it would be a better match for the single 3" outlet as far as square inches is concerned. It would help with spool a little tiny bit too. But personally I would stick with the two 2.5" hot sides and probably go up to a 3.25" cold side.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ditch the obx wastegates unless you like to blow up motors
Old 03-10-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SATAN
Is the outlet on that Treadstone IC 3" I.D. or 3" O.D.? I had an IC that had a 3" O.D. With the cast end tanks, that made the I.D only 2 5/8". That is too small for 1000whp. In my opinion even 3" I.D. is too small for 1000whp but clearly the IC states it is efficient at 1300 fwhp so... yeah.

For your down pipes, you don't need to go a full 4" if you are running two of them. It won't hurt anything and bigger is always better when it comes to down pipes, but sometimes room can be a problem. I would not go smaller than 3" though.

You could do 2.25" IC pipes going to the IC and it would be a better match for the single 3" outlet as far as square inches is concerned. It would help with spool a little tiny bit too. But personally I would stick with the two 2.5" hot sides and probably go up to a 3.25" cold side.
I'm not sure if the 3" is I.D. or O.D. Here's a link to the IC....http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...2C+GM%2C+Viper I just sent them a email asking this so hopefully they can get back to me soon. I figured 3" was too small. I was hoping I can get a 3.5"-4.0" outlet O.D. If it's 3" O.D. I can cut out the outlet and install a 3.5" or 4.0" O.D. instead and have it tig welded. What do you think?

As for the DPs I was thinking of doing 4" pipes and then downgrading them to 3.5" or even 3.0" pipes once they pass the electronic cutout. This way I get max efficiency when the cutouts are open. Plus, as you stated, room can be a problem.

As for the turbo-to-IC pipes you say 2.25" pipes w/ the 3" outlet would be a better match. So if I keep the 2.5" pipes and upgrade the IC outlet to 3.5" would this be a better match?

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Ditch the obx wastegates unless you like to blow up motors
Are the OBX units crap? Do you have experience with them? What other WGs do you recommend that are pretty cheap? Also, is the size I have (38mm) good enough for my power levels?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Danny
I'm not sure if the 3" is I.D. or O.D. Here's a link to the IC....http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...2C+GM%2C+Viper I just sent them a email asking this so hopefully they can get back to me soon. I figured 3" was too small. I was hoping I can get a 3.5"-4.0" outlet O.D. If it's 3" O.D. I can cut out the outlet and install a 3.5" or 4.0" O.D. instead and have it tig welded. What do you think?

As for the DPs I was thinking of doing 4" pipes and then downgrading them to 3.5" or even 3.0" pipes once they pass the electronic cutout. This way I get max efficiency when the cutouts are open. Plus, as you stated, room can be a problem.

As for the turbo-to-IC pipes you say 2.25" pipes w/ the 3" outlet would be a better match. So if I keep the 2.5" pipes and upgrade the IC outlet to 3.5" would this be a better match?

Are the OBX units crap? Do you have experience with them? What other WGs do you recommend that are pretty cheap? Also, is the size I have (38mm) good enough for my power levels?
It's all about the area of the pipe. Use the formula "pi r squared". A single 3.5" outlet would be better suited for two 2.5" inlets. I think a 4" throttle pipe is simply overkill and will just add to un needed lag.

As I stated, my I.C. had the 3" O.D. in/outs on it. I cut them off and TIG welded on some 3 3/8 I.D. (3.5" O.D.) V-band in/outs. So yes that would be a viable option.
Cant really see it in this picture because the Vband clamp is in the way... it's there.

As far as using OBX waste gates or just ebay gates in general... I have never had a name brand waste gate. I have also never had a problem with my waste gates. In my opinion, it is pretty hard to **** up something as simple as a valve and diaphragm.

Name brand is good. Name brand is expensive.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good. I'm still waiting on a response from ThreadStone so hopefully they get back to me soon.

Any other things that would help my shopping list?

Also, I know an X-pipe helps with exhaust scavenging on N/A but does that apply to turbos as well?

Thanks again for all the advise guys. I really appreciate it
Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can skimp on alot of thing for a turbo kit but a wastegate isnt a good place to save $$ imo
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So everything else looks good except the WGs. Sounds doable. I think I can swing a pair of descent WGs.

As for the ThreadStone IC...they said the outlet is 3.0" OD which means it'll be on the small size.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

try them gt45 and check them out.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using a pair of ebay GT45s. I took both of them apart and cleaned them up and relubed everything with assembly lube. They weren't the cleanest on the inside.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing I need to know, what size WGs should I get. Are 38s too small? Or should I shoot for 44s?

Quick Reply: My twin turbo shopping list....Comments/advise welcome