Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where is the best place to pull turbo coolant from off of the stock radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the best place to pull turbo coolant from off of the stock radiator?

Any sucessful ideas here? I can figure it out but its good to be a part of the community, people have great stuff to say, its easier, more reliable, and tried and true. Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't pull the coolant from the radiator as coolant does not always flow. the only time you have flow is when the thermostat is open.

Personally I am going to be pulling the coolant from the supply and return lines that go to the heater core from the water pump
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive seen it done from two different places by companies that built kits. First was off the side of the block where the plugs are. The other is a crossover under the TB. You dont need that coolant right from the start anyway. Oil the turbo's just fine until you get up to temp.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pull coolant from the fitting just below the overflow fitting. No issues so far. I believe that is the stock location.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with my water cooled turbo...i ran a hose from the steam port right below the throttlebody, through the turbo, to the port on the radiator...simple easy setup.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Teching In

great, thanks guys. Yea I was thinking about a couple spots but considering the turbo lines are so small compared to the rest of the coolant system I didn't want to just tap off anywhere and have the coolant largely bypass the turbo because it can take the path of least resistance. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The side of the block would be best for feed with high on the radiator for your return point. When you shut the car down and the center section tries to heat up from lack of oil flow, convection will cause the water to move cooling the center section and keeping the oil from cooking.

Kurt
Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 427
The side of the block would be best for feed with high on the radiator for your return point. When you shut the car down and the center section tries to heat up from lack of oil flow, convection will cause the water to move cooling the center section and keeping the oil from cooking.

Kurt
Sounds cool, thanks Kurt (and everyone else). So on this design are you talking about opening up that huge plug that requires like a nickel sized tool bit to get open, towards the rear of the block? And then you buy like a fitting with the same size threads and thread it in and connect a hose?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That plug would work, or the 16mm one on the other side.

Kurt

Quick Reply: Where is the best place to pull turbo coolant from off of the stock radiator?