Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why #7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so does anyone have any instructions or pics of the Kurt Urban system with the ls6 intake. I already sent number 7 on the stock bottom end to the moon. It was def hot in there. I am going to call my builder monday and make sure they address this before it ships to me.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is with an LS2 intake.....on a gto. Used an 1/4 npt to 4 an fitting and tapped directly into the radiator with it where the stock tube went. Worked out pretty nice and looked good too. Alot of people asked him if he had nitrous because they saw the lines.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the intake not the steam vents that causes it.

Air follows the path of least resistance.

Forced induction does exactly as it's name says. It forces air into the motor. It's going to force its way to the back of the intake manifold until it hits the back of the manifold and is forced into the rear most two cylinders. Obviously not all the air does this, but more so than the other 6. Thus why they run leaner.

Steam ports don't help, but I think GM is smarter than us on this one.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
It's the intake not the steam vents that causes it.

Air follows the path of least resistance.

Forced induction does exactly as it's name says. It forces air into the motor. It's going to force its way to the back of the intake manifold until it hits the back of the manifold and is forced into the rear most two cylinders. Obviously not all the air does this, but more so than the other 6. Thus why they run leaner.

Steam ports don't help, but I think GM is smarter than us on this one.
They disproved this theory by still having a hot #7 with the intake reversed.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fbodyjunky, if reversing the intake had no effect, what do you propose would solve the problem?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Who reversed the intake? Let's see these results?

Ask anyone that knows anything about air distribution they will tell you it's the intake.

I'm not arguing this.

I think GM knows something we don't here.

Why would they not even tap or drill these steam vent on the LS3 if that was the problem?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

People have done tests where #7 got hot, but the afr was still fine, so it's speculated that it has more to do with how the head and block is cooled than air distribution.

I've been told that by a few different people who've run the tests, but I did not do the tests myself, so it's second hand info. Take it as you may.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
People have done tests where #7 got hot, but the afr was still fine, so it's speculated that it has more to do with how the head and block is cooled than air distribution.

I've been told that by a few different people who've run the tests, but I did not do the tests myself, so it's second hand info. Take it as you may.
Why do all the ODR guys with single plane intakes talk about having distribution problems with the foward facing throttle body?

This also goes for the LS6 intakes and fast styles and LS1's.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Why do all the ODR guys with single plane intakes talk about having distribution problems with the foward facing throttle body?

This also goes for the LS6 intakes and fast styles and LS1's.
Not saying that the intake does have some affect on it(in very high HP applications) but why do the FWD LS4 guys pop number 7 also when there intake is on backwards from factory??

I think that the cooling system is the main problem with loosing #7
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Actually I have personally seen some distribution issues left bank to right bank and back to front with the carb style intakes and forced induction as well. I honestly do not know the anwswer to this question either.

One thought I did have that I have not seen anyone mention is parallel vs series fueling. Has anyone tried switching to paarallel fueling to see if there was a change?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 105 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
Actually I have personally seen some distribution issues left bank to right bank and back to front with the carb style intakes and forced induction as well. I honestly do not know the anwswer to this question either.

One thought I did have that I have not seen anyone mention is parallel vs series fueling. Has anyone tried switching to paarallel fueling to see if there was a change?
You know ive thought about that too. with stock rails that side of the motor would see the fuel 'last' and any change in fuel pressure(maybe from a random split second voltage drop at high rpm) or anything might affect how well the fuel is delivered, especially to #7. obviously with that thought youd have to ask why isnt #1 popping too then? well thats where the venting combination comes into play(in my mind). so now the difference between the two comes back to the venting of #7. the combination of inadequate fueling and venting at higher rpms may be the deal breaker. just my train of thought

it would be interesting to see how many people have had #7 go with a basically stock fuel system and how many have upgraded to a series or parallel setup and still had #7 go.

Last edited by Ryans99ls1; 04-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Not saying that the intake does have some affect on it(in very high HP applications) but why do the FWD LS4 guys pop number 7 also when there intake is on backwards from factory??

I think that the cooling system is the main problem with loosing #7
There intake isn't on backwards.

It's on sideways and even then it's not on sideways.

It still feeds #7 the same as ours do.

Take your motor turn it counter clockwise 90*. That's an LS4.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
You know ive thought about that too. with stock rails that side of the motor would see the fuel 'last' and any change in fuel pressure(maybe from a random split second voltage drop at high rpm) or anything might affect how well the fuel is delivered, especially to #7. that combined with inadequate cooling to the cylinder might be the deal breaker. just a thought.

thats honestly one of the reasons im doing fast fuel rails and running the return right off #7. Parallel may be better but we'll see.
Dead on. Combine that with the inherent flaw of a foward facing tb to always run the rear two cylinders leaner than the rest and you have the makings of a problem.

Why does GM not even drill let alone tap a provision for steam ports on the LS3?

How many ODR LSX cars run rear steam vents? Most aftermarket heads don't even have the provisions for them.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM
7 Second Club

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

I really wish the myth of the factory style intake causing the rear cylinders to run hotter would just go away. This has been disproven so many times I can't believe it's still being repeated. Air distribution is always a problem no matter what the intake especially at higher power levels but that's not the main cause. It's a cooling issue for the most part on the rear most cylinders and something that helps a little is to get rid of the blockoffs in the rear and vent it so if bubbles start to form you can get them out of there and have coolant do it's thing. Nothing is a magic bullet but all the little things can add up to a safer running combo.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dead on. Combine that with the inherent flaw of a foward facing tb to always run the rear two cylinders leaner than the rest and you have the makings of a problem.

Why does GM not even drill let alone tap a provision for steam ports on the LS3?

How many ODR LSX cars run rear steam vents? Most aftermarket heads don't even have the provisions for them.
When we say that the rear 2 cylinders run leaner(because of the intake) then we also have to wonder why isnt #8 letting go too? just like #7, its not vented.. but you almost NEVER hear of #8 going. with the intake theory you should fully expect it to be the case and its not. its really starting to point to fueling rather than the intake
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Im not sure its fueling either since people have popped number 7 even with aftermarket rails and different fueling paths. My #7 is the first injector on my rail, I cross over in the front, so number 8 is last.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

But what about with a parallel system where there is no crossover and both rails get fed equally. I don't think it is any one thing, but more than likely a combination.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Im not sure its fueling either since people have popped number 7 even with aftermarket rails and different fueling paths. My #7 is the first injector on my rail, I cross over in the front, so number 8 is last.
ahh alright, i was wondering about that too. what exactly is your fuel setup?

but yeah there is no doubt its a combination of things.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

There intake isn't on backwards.

It's on sideways and even then it's not on sideways.

It still feeds #7 the same as ours do.

Take your motor turn it counter clockwise 90*. That's an LS4.
Have you ever looked at an ls4. accessories are on the passnger side of the engine bay and the intake feeds from the drivers side. Hense being on backwards. And they still have #7 problems
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

But what about with a parallel system where there is no crossover and both rails get fed equally. I don't think it is any one thing, but more than likely a combination.
Well I know it is a little different but on GM trucks when ever you get water in the fuel it always ends up causing a miss on #7 due to the way the fuel rails sit. The water or whatever contaiminent will gravitate to #7

Quick Reply: Why #7?