Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

70 Chevelle Restomod 5.3 w/S475 and 4L80E, Videos start on page 10

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014 | 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah my car will probably end up with an 80e in it eventually but I'm gonna run the 60e and see what happens, like you it has some good parts in it but I know once I get the bug and start turning it up it won't hold.

I look forward to seeing some progress on your Goat, that's an awesome car and sounds like it is only getting better as you continue to work on it!

Originally Posted by sprech
Awesome thread. Any idea how much you'll be into just the turbo set up once done? I REALLY want a turbo on my Firebird, because after all turbos are pretty awesome.
Thanks, if I had to guess I would say all the turbo parts plus required parts to run it are in the $4-5k range. I have kept track of every penny spent on the car but haven't totaled it up in a while cause it was getting scary last time I did But there is just something about a turbo'd classic that you can't beat. Especially where I'm from, everybody with a good running hot rod has a big inch motor with a carburetor. lol
Old 02-18-2014 | 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Had to go help a buddy the other night with his sandrail/dirt buggy that he is building. He picked it up as a work in progress and it was already setup for a ls motor He picked up a 5.3 from a local jy and I helped him with a cam swap and tuning on the engine dyno. The other night we were setting his E-Fans and found that his custom harness had a wiring issue that I will be fixing once he removes it. A couple pics and an idle video for your enjoyment.

Last edited by Agent_Orange_Shuvel; 02-18-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: fix video link
Old 02-18-2014 | 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Making a little more progress on the pillar, it looks funny in the pic because it has adhesion promoter on it getting ready for primer.

My buddy Kaylan laying down the primer.

We primed it so we could see the accents of the pillar better, it was a little tough for me to see the contours with all the colors we had goin on. I'm gonna try to sand the lines back into the filler so it looks like factory.

My welding buddy Steve came up with a interesting solution for an overflow tank for my radiator. I might just leave the sticker on it lol. It will sit behind the bumper mainly and you will only be able to see the very top of it through the grill.

Also had him weld a 6an fitting into my driverside valve cover for my catch can line.

Got my MightyMouse catch can mounted up and will be plumbing it in the next couple days.

Old 02-18-2014 | 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel

Thanks, if I had to guess I would say all the turbo parts plus required parts to run it are in the $4-5k range. I have kept track of every penny spent on the car but haven't totaled it up in a while cause it was getting scary last time I did But there is just something about a turbo'd classic that you can't beat. Especially where I'm from, everybody with a good running hot rod has a big inch motor with a carburetor. lol
I totally agree, I've wanted to turbo my Firebird for a while now. Once I get the motor picked out, and in and I get acclimated to the set up, I am going to start looking into doing the upgrade.

How much HP do you think you'll be running once complete?
Old 02-19-2014 | 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

I'm trying to keep my goals conservative for now, as I will only be running 91 pump gas. But close to 500 @ the wheels would be nice on low boost then eventually turning it up to reach 600, maybe a fuel type change or add water meth to get there.
Old 02-26-2014 | 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Got my catch can plumbed

Added a fitting to my intake coupler for the fresh air inlet side of the PCV system

Mounted my radiator overflow bottle

Going through the factory wiring and removing stuff that I should've taken out before I put the motor back in

Fuse box completed and ready to start wiring up

Started back in on my harness, finished removing everything I don't need and labeled everything else

Old 02-26-2014 | 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lookin good!!
Old 03-11-2014 | 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, it's getting a little closer.

I threw the harness in the car to see where I needed to shorten and lengthen wires to make it work with my pcm behind the driver side inner fender. Really didn't modify that much on my harness to make it fit so hopefully the finished product looks ok.

Then took it back out to swap over the injector plugs and add my IAT sensor plug.

Also got my pillar finished, decided it would be way easier to get rid of the style lines with a little more filler vs. sanding them back in and making it look right. So it's not perfect but I'm happy with it.

Last edited by Agent_Orange_Shuvel; 03-12-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2014 | 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Got the wiring harness and fuse block all wired in, still have a couple areas that need to be covered with wire loom and will probably re-route the charge wire from the alternator (I ran out of heavy gauge red wire), but that's pretty much what my finished product is.

Added a positive distribution post to my fuse/relay box for ease of access since the battery sits so deep into the fender. Painted flat black cause why not, everything else is lol.

Just looking to finish up gauge wiring and mount my pillar before the initial start with the turbo. So hopefully it will be making some noise this weekend.

One more pic with the engine cover back on.

Old 03-12-2014 | 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks great! Just in time for spring
Old 03-17-2014 | 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks, yeah the goal was to get it running this spring and dialed in for this summer

I had a pretty productive weekend: I finished my gauge wiring, swapped in my new dash pad, scaled my 2bar map sensor and started and drove the car around the block.

It wasn't without a few setbacks though. I forgot to tighten my trans cooler lines going into the transmission, which you can only get to with the trans crossmember removed and the trans lowered down. The fittings in the trans cooler were also leaking and my trans dipstick started leaking again. The first start-up also revealed a very lean idle which I discovered to be some incorrect injector data. But after sorting all that out I bled the breaks so I could make a short test drive .... Success!

And a short idle vid after the initial startup, still had some bad injector data in the tune for this video.

More to come as weather permits
Old 03-17-2014 | 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great job so far bro. Did you remove the IAT sensor from your stock throttle and install another instead? I was wondering if I could use the truck IAT or is an aftermarket sensor mandatory?
Old 03-18-2014 | 09:05 AM
Teching In

Nice work brotha. I have been itching to ride in that thing since the beginning, looks like it will happen this summer.
Old 03-18-2014 | 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this thread is filled with copious amounts of win..
Old 03-18-2014 | 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Great job so far bro. Did you remove the IAT sensor from your stock throttle and install another instead? I was wondering if I could use the truck IAT or is an aftermarket sensor mandatory?
Thanks, I bought a GM IAT sensor that ls1_chevelle recommended in his thread, I can't remember the part# off hand but I will see if I can find it and post it up. If I remember correctly all the truck IAT's are part of the MAF sensor and I didn't want to run the MAF figured the stand alone IAT would look cleaner.

Originally Posted by Trickle
Nice work brotha. I have been itching to ride in that thing since the beginning, looks like it will happen this summer.
For sure! Just need to get some miles on it and dial in the tune so the ride will be worth while

Originally Posted by lownfast
this thread is filled with copious amounts of win..
I don't know if I would go that far lol, I appreciate the kind words but I feel like there is plenty left to do on the car. But I am working on that one piece at a time and will make sure to keep everybody up to date on the changes
Old 03-18-2014 | 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Found the part# for the IAT sensor - 25036751, I bought mine off Ebay with the male connector, pins and seals for around $30. It's a Delphi sensor.
Old 03-20-2014 | 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Small update, I wanted to drive the car soo bad I didn't even bother putting the whole front end back on lol.

The first real outing brought about a couple issues. First the exhaust needs to be completed, the open 4" downpipe ending at the firewall shakes and rattles everything. Second the downpipe is also rubbing the frame a little bit, so I will have to clearance that and Third my water pump started leaking out the weep hole, so I will be replacing that with another used water pump I have laying around.

I also found a 4L80E that I couldn't pass up, so I picked that up today. No plans to swap tranny's at this point just figured for the price it was a wise investment.

Old 03-20-2014 | 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel
Found the part# for the IAT sensor - 25036751, I bought mine off Ebay with the male connector, pins and seals for around $30. It's a Delphi sensor.
I am grateful bro. Where are you getting your vacuum lines and sources?

I don't know why I thought the iat was a part of the throttle body.
Old 03-21-2014 | 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

I hooked my boost gauge and bov to the same vacuum source off the passenger rear side of the intake but I don't think the car intake has one there only the truck.
Old 03-26-2014 | 07:24 PM
8 Second Club

Almost there......great job! I can't wait to get my project to the point where you are now but building it is half the fun right?

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle Restomod 5.3 w/S475 and 4L80E, Videos start on page 10