Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Engine Damage at 16PSI

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim @ LSX Transport
Providing the motor is done right, it is ALL in the tune.

A build motor will only last .5 seconds longer than a stocker if the tune is wrong.
+1

I'm running 16* timing on only 10 psi of boost with 93 octane. Can't make an apples to apples comparison since the builds are different, but his seems like too much timing for that much boost and too little octane.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
i heart E85

good to hear the LSAs stayed down through that abuse, impressive
Yes, these WCCH LSA heads are ****! They help up with no issues. If it did detonate it help up to that also. Running them with LS9 gaskets.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Detonation does that, and/or lean mixtures which can lead to detonation. Then the tip of the plug gets chewed up down the side of a piston causing more damage

The wear on the skirts isnt that uncommon, especially if it's a stroker. Have the bottoms of the bores been chamfered properly ?, what sort of bore clearance are you running on the pistons ?

My last 402 with Wisecos had a huge 7 thou clearance for some reason. The skirts were visibly polished like that at the bottom. Not ideal, but dont see it as a major problem either. But being so loose in the bore, ring seal wasnt great either.

Does look like a simple tuning issue though.
It is has a 4" stroke. I don't know what the clearances were or if they were chamfered.

Originally Posted by Tim @ LSX Transport
A few problems going on here. First that is a TON of wear on a COATED piston skirt. There is definately a piston to wall clearance issue going on, or the motor was overheated bad.

91 octane, 16 psi, and 18 degrees is not a good combination. That car should have been tuned with 10.5-11.0 afr on that kind of pumpgas with less timing.

Providing the motor is done right, it is ALL in the tune.

A build motor will only last .5 seconds longer than a stocker if the tune is wrong.
Originally Posted by TWS
+1

I'm running 16* timing on only 10 psi of boost with 93 octane. Can't make an apples to apples comparison since the builds are different, but his seems like too much timing for that much boost and too little octane.
Again, I don't know what the timing was at when it was run. I just looked at the main timing table in the tune but there are many other things that can add or retard the timing.

Quick Reply: Engine Damage at 16PSI