Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some advice on IATs

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on IATs

Hi, I like to 1 mile events and after 30 seconds flat out I've seen 220 deg F. intake temps. My blower is a TVS2300 making around 600whp but it seems to take nothing to get intake temps to rise under sustained load. I want to slow the blower down from 18000 to 16000 rpm but I know others with a similar problem.

To fix this, I've been thinking of upgrading to a 2.9L Whipple but this will cost and after what I've read, I'm not sure it will fix the problem.

Will a 2.9L whipple run much cooler than a TVS2300 at 1500CFM or will it be a waste of money?

Will I be better off fitting water/meth injection instead?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think meth is a good option in this case.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Coal Mining Director

Are you intercooled? Run ice water? Add more water storage to the IC system? Sounds like you need meth plus more IC eff. I always worried when I went over 130F and made changes to bring it down to 110max. I'd pass out at 220F!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Yes, it's a TVS2300 so it is intercooled. No, I don't use ice water as I'm looking for something a little more permanent. The question is will a twin screw work better or should I try water injection? Not interested in Centri blowers or turbos at this point.

It would really help if somebody had tried both types of PD blower.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Bump!

Do none of you guys on the west coast suffer with heat with these blowers or do you all just use water/meth injection?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have any back to back experience on IAT's for the different blowers, but from an engineering perspective, I don't think you are going to gain much as far as IAT's go from swapping blowers.

The screw-type should be a little more efficient of a compressor, but even if you get a 30% bump in compression efficiency (say 40% to 70%....being really optimistic here) it is only going to reduce inlet temps 20-30 deg F. Potentially, if you are overworking the blower you may get a little more, but I don't think much more.

The big adjustment in getting your charge temperatures down is going to be your intercooling. Compression efficiency is important, but it is the little adjustment when compared to your intercooler.

JMO. If it was my car, I'd be going after the intercooling.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You wont find tons of help on here regarding PD blowers. I completely agree with NoGo. The whipple will be more efficient but not enough to substantially drop temps. Now if you can do something to manage the temps then the Whipple will far outshine the TVS. But upgrading the blower to offset the temps is the wrong way to go about it.

I say meth is the best bet as well. I have seen some people run intake spacers on their PD blowers but I couldn't tell you who or where to find one at the moment.

Slowing the blower down probably isn't going to do much over a 30 second blast either...

The only other alternative I have seen is a killer chiller. They run in conjunction with you A/C system and are good for about a 30 second blast. After that they will require some cool down time to get the intercooler liquid chilled again. And they say it only sacrifices about 10* off your cabin A/C.

If it were turbo or procharger you could look into a more efficient intercooler but I dont think there are too many options for pd blowers.

Try the meth.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For mile runs the only thing that would be close is a ice cooler in the trunk with a stronger pump ect and pump as much ice water as you can through the blower. Then a mist of methenol on top of that.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks. The idea was a bigger (2.9l) blower wouldn't work as hard so AITs would stay lower.

Has anyone developed a Killer Chiller kit for the GTO and do they work?

Quick Reply: Need some advice on IATs