Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Precision Turbo THIEVES!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Precision Turbo THIEVES!

So here is my story about my PT101 Im in iraq and I have one sent to my stateside address. I get home and start building my car along the way I call precision turbo a few times and ask some questions, and order some oiling flanges and what not I ask if -4 in and -10 out is sufficient and I'm told absolutely by the "techs" on the phone. I also explain I've already had the turbo more than a year by the time Im done building the car will it still have any sort of warranty and they say oh sure if you run it the first few times and have problems with it just send it in and we will take care of you.

Months down the road the first startup... idling and pcm tuning... right at startup oil starts spiraling around the compressor housing and at shutoff it drips a few drops out the bell on the ground. I call PT and they tell me... Oh that's NORMAL... I think WTF how is that NORMAL, they must know something I don't. I continue to run the turbo anyway because it really is a small little leak. I put 20 passes on the turbo and 4 dyno pulls and after a track pass Im coming back to my trailer I hear a really quiet squeek. I look at the turbo and see the compressor blades have struck the cover! Its Shot!
I send it back in and explain the turbo is pretty new. Im told not to worry if the product is deffective they will take care of it. It takes 3 WEEKS to get LOOKED AT and upon inspection Im told it wasnt getting enough oil because the bearings were burnt. Not their fault whole entire turbo is completely trash that will be $1700 please. I tell them what they told me about oil lines etc. Then I'm told sir regardless of how many passes are on this unit it's out of warranty anyway.

I wasnt asking them to warranty it just asking them to fix it as cheaply as possible considering the circumstances but INSTEAD they inisist on selling me a new turbo, and in addition they will not sell parts to anyone. Basically trying to force customers to buy a new turbo every time they fail. No way around it.

-----Update----
pwrtrip I suppose you are correct I recieved a call from Wes at precision turbo. I explained all of this and how I was very upset about the whole situation, How I had followed only their guidance and still experienced pre mature failure. They said even though the compressor and turbine had both rubbed and are slightly out of spec and they would normally change them they will clean them up and reballance and rebuild the assembly at send it back for only shipping costs. Better than the originally quoted your turbo is junk and you need a new one.

So my lesson here is it depends who you talk to the lower end guy may just be following procedure when someone else higher up may be able to get things done.

I will ensure I re-plumb the turbo with #6 line this time and enjoy its new lease on life and hope it lasts me a good while this time.

----Update----

Last edited by z28boysteve; 06-27-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,155 Likes on 752 Posts

I had a GT47-88 from them, and it broke the shaft twice so the blades then crashed into the housing. I got the run around from them both times though I had all the proper oil feeds etc. I would never buy from them again.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Chinese Turbos! Nothing but trouble!

Sorry bout your bad luck dude. Hope you find a cost friendly solution.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe talking to someone higher up would help? Hard to believe a reputable business would just hang people like that... usually the people on the phone dont care... Your problem isnt theirs so why should they help? Try contacting someone higher up on the chain there and see if that helps. The company itself would benefit from making customers happy... so if someone in management is hanging people then they need some serious help. But a lot of times management is too busy to oversee issues like this and the typical worker plays it by the book and you get an answer like you did.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will try giving them this chance I emailed them what I wrote here and recieved a call back 5 minutes ago.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

I hate hearing stuff like that, I have a hard time believing it wasn't getting enough oil, the LS motors have a history of supplying to much oil.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed! A -4 line to that one turbo is plenty of oil. That used that same excuse with another guy on here. The one thing they don't have trouble doing is taking your money!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pwrtrip I suppose you are correct I recieved a call from Wes at precision turbo. I explained all of this and how I was very upset about the whole situation, How I had followed only their guidance and still experienced pre mature failure. They said even though the compressor and turbine had both rubbed and are slightly out of spec and they would normally change them they will clean them up and reballance and rebuild the assembly at send it back for only shipping costs. Better than the originally quoted your turbo is junk and you need a new one.

So my lesson here is it depends who you talk to the lower end guy may just be following procedure when someone else higher up may be able to get things done.

I will ensure I re-plumb the turbo with #6 line this time and enjoy its new lease on life and hope it lasts me a good while this time.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my friend got screwed by them too.
brand new hp5857 used maybe 6 months. everything setup according to there spec. thing seized up mid pull one day, so we send it back
First they tell us it was starved of oil, so I send them video of the open line showing flow and pressure, then they tell him there was "side pressure" on the compressor housing as if the turbo was sitting against something (had at least 1/2" of clearance all around) so they will not honor the warranty. Though they did let him pay for a rebuild and had it upgraded to a 6262 for $850 + shipping, but that's bullshit imo.
I"ll be dealing with comp for now after that
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is scarying me I have a new pt88 for my build and I talked to PT and they told me that 4an feed and a 10an would be suffecent for the turbo.
do I need a bigger feed line for my build??
if so how does a 6an line supplying the turbo give the engine enough oil to to keep the bearings in it. 6an line is alot of oil being pushed out of the engine that the engine bearings never see
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was told the same thing. I fixed the turbo once out of pocket even though it was under warranty. It happened again but they did fix it for free. I was told the same thing with the oiling. Here is what is interesting. So far the turbo is working but everytime I make a pass and am hard on the brakes the turbo smokes from the excess oil. I am sick of it. When these go bad I am buying to chinese GT45's.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

GARRETT TURBO TTMFF!

Sorry to hear this man, im glad you got it taken care of though. But still a really shitty situation.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Magnums look better every day.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

precision = chinese junk
Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiago
precision = chinese junk
+1
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Precision is ****. I would never run them, EVER. Garrett, Borg Warner/BEP, or Exile.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=481264

Precision Turbo THIEVES!-tleqx.jpg
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

^^^

Damn!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not the first time people have had problems with PT by any means.

Theres a ton of people they have fucked on yellowbullet.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ight=precision

Originally Posted by X-BREDBITCH
It was Ray Jr from Ohio Lots of you guys know him from around YB and Yes the Turbo grenaded and caused the accident.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Damn this is cry cause there local to me... I got a pt76 and you guys have me re-thinking..
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

PT's quality has been dropping year after year...people need to stop buying this crappy ****

Quick Reply: Precision Turbo THIEVES!