Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

UPDATED!!*DYNO NUMBERS* Comparison of Comp Turbo Billet 88mm CT6X-88 & GT91 Garrett!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
P.s., it should be ready tonight, so I'll have some results soon!!
Damn..now thats some service....wow.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo
Damn..now thats some service....wow.
******* about changing a badly specced turbo multiple times is good service ?

WOW...I think that's pretty **** really.

Good service would have been a unit that worked first time out. Maybe that's just me though
Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
******* about changing a badly specced turbo multiple times is good service ?

WOW...I think that's pretty **** really.

Good service would have been a unit that worked first time out. Maybe that's just me though
Good service is recognizing the unit had a problem and fixing it to make it work as promised and quickly doing so. In this case a whole new turbo in a day. Thats what I was getting at.

Good product well that is a product that works great just from the get go. I get your point though.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

First off, thank you for posting this information, it is going to help out a lot of us.

I just purchased a GT5-88, however it came with a GT6 cover which I thought was a little odd. Using a T4 1.10 AR housing, but unlike you I am running a smaller motor. 3.0 Supra motor and I am hoping that I don't see the same issues. I have been on the fence with Comp for quite awhile but I went ahead and went down this route.

It is good to see that comp is taking care of you, but a little disturbing that nothing is working.

Keep this thread going, lots of great info.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I agree that it should have been right the first time, but I am also very happy that they are taking care of me. The turbo wont be done till 6pm, so the owner offered to personally bring it to my house! Now that is good service. I can tell that they feel really bad about the whole thing, and I think it is a little bit of a learning curve for them as well.

I am going to have to re-do my cold side connection a bit, so it probably wont be running for another day or two.

Im trying not to be too upset by all this, I'm looking at it as a great learning experience for me. Although a lot of people said it was the wheel, I learn best by actually experimenting and finding out first hand. Im glad I know exactly how much BP can change with different size A/R's.

Anyways... Im off to the garage to take the turbo out... again!

Last edited by KILLER-LS1; 08-29-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Can u get the 111mm wheel and a .96 housing?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I agree that it should have been right the first time, but I am also very happy that they are taking care of me. The turbo wont be done till 6pm, so the owner offered to personally bring it to my house! Now that is good service. I can tell that they feel really bad about the whole thing, and I think it is a little bit of a learning curve for them as well.

I am going to have to re-do my cold side connection a bit, so it probably wont be running for another day or two.

Im trying not to be too updet by all this, I'm looking at it as a great learning experience for me. Although a lot of people said it was the wheel, I learn best by actually experimenting and finding out first hand. Im glad I know exactly how much BP can change with different size A/R's.

Anyways... Im off to the garage to take the turbo out... again!
V-banded turbos are the best thing around. Quick and easy.
You think it will be on the dyno tomorrow or you just doing street logs on the bp to get an idea? You could be 2:1 and still make a **** load of power.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with KILLER-LS1...It should have been right the first time but i am really impressed with how they are trying to fix the problem. I called them today and put a stop on my 80/94 they were gonna build and told them i either want the. Garrett gt50 turbine or Borg 96/88mm and they said they'd do it no problem! They also said that they would be putting gt55 wheel on Killer-Ls1's turbo. As soon as they are done with his they said they'll get on mine. I'm impressed with their customer service for sure...i've been able to get answers or talk to Justin almost 100% of the time.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the turbo is out! And that includes parking the car, getting it up on jacks, and working on it with a hot exhaust! I'm getting pretty good at this LOL.

No dyno tomorrow, but I'll get some street logs of BP asap. My dyno tuner is a busy guy, so it might be a week or more before I get it on the dyno
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, that thing is gonna be absolutely insane whit the GT55 turbine, holy ****
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad6as
Can u get the 111mm wheel and a .96 housing?
Well, i could do it with the 1.08a/r that I had. Thats probably the lowest I would go, since I dont want to choke it out in the upper RPM range. But we'll see how the 1.23a/r feels first!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, i could do it with the 1.08a/r that I had. Thats probably the lowest I would go, since I dont want to choke it out in the upper RPM range. But we'll see how the 1.23a/r feels first!
Remember the graph I posted and what you have just learned about what a housing does for BP.

Now that said I believe Jose is doing a lot of testing on the GTX5518 in some X275 stuff and since they are running at a weight limit for that size turbo they are trying to maximize everything they can with that 111mm wheel. They are going with ridiculously large AR housing(1.70-1.80 AR) to get every little thing they can out of it, but the only reason this is possible is because that GTX comp wheel is just bad *** and has flow for days. A lot of variables goes into turbo's, but again the big wheel tight AR theory when able to be fully utilized when not working with a set of rules for class racing or trying to meet a weight break like X275 offers for the GT55 series turbo's works time and time again. Try the 1.23 if you want, but I really think the 1.08 will spool faster, come up quicker on boost, give better response all the while offering the same amount of BP that the larger 1.23 does. I could be wrong, but I strongly believe this.

1.08 all the way.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is frustrating for me as ive asked them to put a differant design turbine wheel in mine before and they tell me they don't have one. Now you can get a bw or gt. Real nice.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Remember the graph I posted and what you have just learned about what a housing does for BP.

Now that said I believe Jose is doing a lot of testing on the GTX5518 in some X275 stuff and since they are running at a weight limit for that size turbo they are trying to maximize everything they can with that 111mm wheel. They are going with ridiculously large AR housing(1.70-1.80 AR) to get every little thing they can out of it, but the only reason this is possible is because that GTX comp wheel is just bad *** and has flow for days. A lot of variables goes into turbo's, but again the big wheel tight AR theory when able to be fully utilized when not working with a set of rules for class racing or trying to meet a weight break like X275 offers for the GT55 series turbo's works time and time again. Try the 1.23 if you want, but I really think the 1.08 will spool faster, come up quicker on boost, give better response all the while offering the same amount of BP that the larger 1.23 does. I could be wrong, but I strongly believe this.

1.08 all the way.
Martin yeah we are limited to the size of the turbine wheel being the GT55 turbine wheel for X275. So with that being said we are having to run HUGE A/R's to keep backpressure down. We are up to 1.72A/R and going up again probably this upcoming week. The GTX wheel keeps wanting more turbine flow, even more then the GT55 UHP can process. We are though at 1400rwhp with an 88mm mid-frame!!!!! Who would have ever thought that.

I would like to see the 111mm wheel being used in this setup.....tell the tale whether its the UHP design or a TV based 111mm which some companies are using. Which flows less then a GT50 turbine lol.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Martin yeah we are limited to the size of the turbine wheel being the GT55 turbine wheel for X275. So with that being said we are having to run HUGE A/R's to keep backpressure down. We are up to 1.72A/R and going up again probably this upcoming week. The GTX wheel keeps wanting more turbine flow, even more then the GT55 UHP can process. We are though at 1400rwhp with an 88mm mid-frame!!!!! Who would have ever thought that.

I would like to see the 111mm wheel being used in this setup.....tell the tale whether its the UHP design or a TV based 111mm which some companies are using. Which flows less then a GT50 turbine lol.
What are these acronyms?

UHP = Ultra High Performance ????
TV = ??????
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its great they are taking care of you. But on the other hand they sold you a turbo rated at 1600 Hp. By the sounds of things they never tested the turbo and rely on their customers to do their testin. If you're claiming your turbo makes 1600 Hp you better have proof and not base it off some computer calculation of what the compressor wheel flows. The turbine wheel needs to support the rated Hp of the compressor. I also find it kind of odd they just happen to have a genuine gt 55 wheel laying around and can slap it in for you.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by minus500
What are these acronyms?

UHP = Ultra High Performance ????
TV = ??????
Refers to the generation turbine wheel it is. Tv series is the older Garrett units. UHP represents the latest series of turbine wheels. They are curve pitch impeller design instead of straight pitch design.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
...that GTX comp wheel is just bad *** and has flow for days....
Maybe that specific GTX compressor wheel because I remember TPS doing a test with a GTX76 1.28a/r vs a BW76-83 1.10a/r cast compressor and the BW made more power overall. The GTX ran out of steam pretty quick also. The powerband on the GTX was bigger and did make for a more fun street turbo.

Good old BW. A little slow on the spool but gets the job done.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo
Maybe that specific GTX compressor wheel because I remember TPS doing a test with a GTX76 1.28a/r vs a BW76-83 1.10a/r cast compressor and the BW made more power overall. The GTX ran out of steam pretty quick also. The powerband on the GTX was bigger and did make for a more fun street turbo.

Good old BW. A little slow on the spool but gets the job done.
The GTX4202's problem is the turbine side. Smaller then the borgs 83mm turbine and just isn't up to the task of supporting that much flow.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
The GTX4202's problem is the turbine side. Smaller then the borgs 83mm turbine and just isn't up to the task of supporting that much flow.
I thought they were similar 83/75 vs 82/75? Are those not the specs on both? I could be wrong.

Care to elaborate?

Quick Reply: UPDATED!!*DYNO NUMBERS* Comparison of Comp Turbo Billet 88mm CT6X-88 & GT91 Garrett!!