Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Simple LS Swap Gone Awry (370/LS3 heads/PT88)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nice job!!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are some pictures from before I started it. Just been too busy to put them up.

Painted the heat sinks for the coil packs since they looked kind of rusty like the cylinder walls did...

Got all of the fittings and hose for making the fuel lines and tranny cooler lines. I thought they were a PITA to put together, but others suggested otherwise. Lol

Cut the hole for the stock pump to come out. That went better than expected!

Got the entire old fuel system out. Gas and grease everywhere...

I know I had a picture of the motor mount before, but here is a finished (painted) version anyways!

Seems like everything that looked simple disappeared as soon as the harness and all of the hoses came into play.

Got the gauges put in... Spent way too much time on that.

Also got the turbo kit all wrapped and coated. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself!

As far as the big stuff it just needs a drive shaft, shifter, cold side, and the ABS delete finished up basically. Lots and lots of little stuff left to button up yet though
Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! what coating did you use?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM
8 Second Club

I sent them to a company about an hour from me in Rushford, MN called K&A Coatings. They did a really nice job. Turned out smoother than I thought they would!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks very nice... great work!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks ramair.

Been having some issues that maybe someone on here could help me out with. The coolant temperature sensor is for a 98 camaro. Difference being it has 3 wires instead of two. One wire goes into the car and gives my gauge in the car its reading and the other two are the standard 5v power and ground. Checked voltage at the power wire and it is 5.2 volts. Check with a GM mechanic friend and he said that should be just fine. I even went as far as running wires directly from the PCM to the sensor and it changed nothing. The strange thing to me is that the gauge in the car is reading ~40° hotter than what the computer sees. What I am leaning towards is that the sensor itself has gone bad even though it is brand new. The computer had a code for it which is what lead me to checking the voltage at the connector in the first place. (p0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input)

Any help is much appreciated. Especially since that sensor controls the fans turning on and off. Right now they are just on with the car running since that is how they are wired.

Here's a half throttle video. The car feels strong. Especially compared to the stock LT1 that was in it.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Not sure what guage your using but i know the 99 and up cars the guage is basically a dummy guage. On the 98 cars the guage actually will read the temp. This is why the difference is so depending on the guage your using vrs. the sender it will cause you issues for sure
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
8 Second Club

The gauge I am using is the one that is original to the 1994 cluster. Haven't heard back from the tuner yet tonight, but he said when he flashed a stock tune into the car that the temperature seemed to come back to a realistic number rather than being so far off. There was obviously something wrong. Not just the simple fact that the real gauge reads the right temperature. There was for sure something off in the signal from the sensor. He told me the IAT seemed off too.

Before I took it to the tuner I swapped the 1998 coolant temperature sensor out for a two wire one like the 99+ harnesses use and put the sensor for the gauge in the other head just so that was ruled out as being the problem.

He told me that he had the file fixed and got to working on it again tonight so hopefully I'll get the car back sometime this week yet. Might have some dyno numbers by the time it's done too!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car looks great. do u have more pics of the rims on the black trans am, they look great. do you by chance have ocd or take adderall? your work is very meticulous
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
car looks great. do u have more pics of the rims on the black trans am, they look great. do you by chance have ocd or take adderall? your work is very meticulous
Thread to the wheels on the car you asked about
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ktor-rtss.html
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
Lol I've never been diagnosed with anything and never taken adderall. Just had the time to pay attention to details since I didn't have the money. I wanted the car to turn out nice since I plan to keep it for quite a while (if not forever) so I took the time to make it happen. Thanks for the... compliment.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
Thread to the wheels on the car you asked about
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ktor-rtss.html
Here's a better picture.

Attached Thumbnails Simple LS Swap Gone Awry (370/LS3 heads/PT88)-zaino1.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

The maiden voyage was quite fun.....but also interesting! Dodged a bullet!

Enjoy that beast. I am sure you will have plenty of fun with it!

Never know, we might see the underpowered drag radials versus the turboed street tires this weekend!

Oh yeah, and Slow94formula needs a sign that says: Tires Wanted! Cause he is going to....I mean already is going through them!

Last edited by Only ERO's; 10-27-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
The maiden voyage was quite fun.....but also interesting! Dodged a bullet!

Enjoy that beast. I am sure you will have plenty of fun with it!

Never know, we might see the underpowered drag radials versus the turboed street tires this weekend!

Oh yeah, and Slow94formula needs a sign that says: Tires Wanted! Cause he is going to....I mean already is going through them!
Definitely a fun first trip after being tuned. Too bad it took so long after getting the car back to get it on the road again, but it really didn't matter since we have had so much rain here lately because it would have been useless anyways!

It's tuned on 11 psi right now... I should probably back it down because all it does is rolling burnouts now. lol The tuner was going to take it farther but the power steering pump decided to break while he had it and rust proofed the entire engine bay. Had fun cleaning that up. Got the pulley off the pump hoping that it would just have blown out the seal and turned out the pump was junk.

Then got to looking at the pulley after I took it off and there were 5 cracks in it so I just split it and had to find a new one. Thankfully Transam69230 had a spare that he got to me today and I pressed that on quick.

Then I got the old belt on (three times) and it kept walking forward. Another trip to the parts store and a warrantied belt later (and a few hours fighting the alternator relocation bracket) and it was running. Took it to pick up Only ERO's thinking I would go easy on it in the 4 miles that it took to get there... didn't last. Took the car down to a friends house and gave him a ride. On the way back heading down the highway going about 55 or so (10 under for the first time ever haha) I clipped a deer. Lucky it wasn't any worse. Did all I could to avoid it, but the thing kept following the direction I was turning! Made it out with just a scuffed fender and a broken bumper. Could have been a lot worse! No damage to intercooler, piping, or anything behind it. Just the bumper. Looks like it will be a good one to cut up and see how we can let the intercooler get some air!

And yes, I am definitely going to go through tires.

Last edited by Slow94Formula; 10-27-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 AM
8 Second Club

Almost forgot. The car weighed in at 3560 with a quarter tank of gas. Pretty light I thought!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
Almost forgot. The car weighed in at 3560 with a quarter tank of gas. Pretty light I thought!
That with or without you in it? I need another ride to compare it to the 6psi ride
Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 AM
8 Second Club

That with or without you in it? I need another ride to compare it to the 6psi ride
Without me basically only added about 120 pounds between the LS (LQ) swap, 4l80, and the turbo kit. Not bad I thought. I'll give you another ride as long as you promise not to summon any deer to be present! haha
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
Without me basically only added about 120 pounds between the LS (LQ) swap, 4l80, and the turbo kit. Not bad I thought. I'll give you another ride as long as you promise not to summon any deer to be present! haha
Haha ok, just make sure to use your turn signals this time lol
Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 AM
8 Second Club

Haha ok, just make sure to use your turn signals this time lol
I will. I don't feel like talking to any more arrogant idiots that think they're better than me.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn deer

Quick Reply: Simple LS Swap Gone Awry (370/LS3 heads/PT88)