Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Simple LS Swap Gone Awry (370/LS3 heads/PT88)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's just what I wanted (except the 10 bolt!) It's a high (enough) hp street car that I can drive almost anywhere, and most people just think it's got a little cam in it unless I tell them what's really going on.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Ain't that the truth. You can't even hear my cam now that I have full exhaust. It is seriously as quiet as a stock Fbody. Had a guy in a C5 try to run me from a stop light the other night. I eased into it and let him get out a head a bit, then matted it and flew past him like he was standing still. He came up to me at the next light and asked what the hell just happened.

Your car is a little nastier than mine though.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM
8 Second Club

I had a guy pull up next to me in a v8 s10 and say something like "Let's line 'em up!" All I said was, "It's too fast for you" and kept moving. The only thing I heard out of him was "yeah right!" before he just started trying to show off hahaha.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Love it. Looks like it spins from 60-80 but doesn't fall back down when you let off Just kind of jumps to 80.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Great build and numbes.
Congrats man
Old 05-08-2013, 02:46 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
Love it. Looks like it spins from 60-80 but doesn't fall back down when you let off Just kind of jumps to 80.
Thanks. I think the speedometer has a hard time keeping up because it does that on every 2-3 shift whether it's spinning or not. Lol

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Great build and numbes.
Congrats man
Thank you!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that's a t/4 flange 88mm turbo with a .96 AR? I'm bout to pull the trigger on almost the same set up. I like the way she doesn't run out of breath up top. Slicks and skinnies and some seat time should yield some DEEP 9 sec passes!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SILVERBIRD97
So that's a t/4 flange 88mm turbo with a .96 AR? I'm bout to pull the trigger on almost the same set up. I like the way she doesn't run out of breath up top. Slicks and skinnies and some seat time should yield some DEEP 9 sec passes!
Yes it is!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
8 Second Club

Yep. Runs pretty good! lol
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 AM
8 Second Club

Another video of what this car does best!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good video who took it?? lol
Old 06-01-2013, 12:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
Good video who took it?? lol
Some guy that should have bought an Android phone!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM
8 Second Club

Had it at the track yesterday. My launch needs a lot of work... the car won't hold itself. It just pushes the front tires because the stock rear brakes won't hold it. The highest RPM I could leave at was 2500 which gave me my best 60' of a 2.16. That same run the car went 11.749 @ 138 mph. The boost was set at 17 for that pass and I eased into it a lot more gradual than most passes. The biggest issue was that about 300 feet out the car lost traction half of the time. Pulled off an 11.80 @ 131 on 10psi once (forgot to turn up the boost controller on that pass).

My goal was to go 10.99 or 130 mph (or both) so I was happy with the mph! If I could get the 60' down and floor it a little sooner It should run the ET eventually. It was still a fun day to kind of figure out what the car would do.

Only had a couple problems and the rear end wasn't one of them! One of the nuts backed off on the manifolds... wish I had just done vbands! The other problem was on the final pass the car just wouldn't make boost. It was time to go home anyway so we just loaded it up on the trailer and while looking underneath it noticed that the IC pipe had come out of the coupler on the hot side of the intercooler... This car is a turd out of boost!!!

Working on getting the videos uploaded now. Maybe I'll get them posted some time this week. Also want to check out the tune and see where the timing is at down low since it feels like it takes so long to spool.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

I am kicking myself for not making the trip up now. Sounds like it was a good time. I am going up the 29th for sure to get some test passes in.

I assume you aren't able to build any boost on the footbrake then? I can build 6 lbs. or so on the street before the tires start to break loose. Did you try just flashing the converter at all and not bringing it up?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
Had it at the track yesterday. My launch needs a lot of work... the car won't hold itself. It just pushes the front tires because the stock rear brakes won't hold it. The highest RPM I could leave at was 2500 which gave me my best 60' of a 2.16. That same run the car went 11.749 @ 138 mph. The boost was set at 17 for that pass and I eased into it a lot more gradual than most passes. The biggest issue was that about 300 feet out the car lost traction half of the time. Pulled off an 11.80 @ 131 on 10psi once (forgot to turn up the boost controller on that pass).

My goal was to go 10.99 or 130 mph (or both) so I was happy with the mph! If I could get the 60' down and floor it a little sooner It should run the ET eventually. It was still a fun day to kind of figure out what the car would do.

Only had a couple problems and the rear end wasn't one of them! One of the nuts backed off on the manifolds... wish I had just done vbands! The other problem was on the final pass the car just wouldn't make boost. It was time to go home anyway so we just loaded it up on the trailer and while looking underneath it noticed that the IC pipe had come out of the coupler on the hot side of the intercooler... This car is a turd out of boost!!!

Working on getting the videos uploaded now. Maybe I'll get them posted some time this week. Also want to check out the tune and see where the timing is at down low since it feels like it takes so long to spool.
It'll take some time but it will come. What track did you guys hit??
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 PM
8 Second Club

Tonight I went for a ride with a friend and he suggested the possibility of the intercooler pipe that was popped off might have been leaking boost all day. After him saying that I was doing some street launching and it seemed to be much more responsive than I remember at the track... How likely is it that the junction was leaking boost before it came undone all the way? Now I'm getting anxious to go back!

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
I am kicking myself for not making the trip up now. Sounds like it was a good time. I am going up the 29th for sure to get some test passes in.

I assume you aren't able to build any boost on the footbrake then? I can build 6 lbs. or so on the street before the tires start to break loose. Did you try just flashing the converter at all and not bringing it up?
Footbrake won't build any boost. Did not try flashing the converter.

Originally Posted by ramairws6
It'll take some time but it will come. What track did you guys hit??
CFR
Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 AM
9 Second Club

I'd say it's possible that it could have been leaking before it came undone. Did you have a chance to log your runs? That should show what your KPA/Boost was doing under load obviously. The only coupler I have blown off was the one that attaches to the TB. It never had a chance to leak as I knew as soon as it popped off.

Strange about not being able to build anything on the footbrake. We both have Circle D converters and sounds like they behave completely different. I realize we both have different setups, gears, etc., but would think you should be able to build some boost on the footbrake. Might want to give the flash a try. Not sure if you seen the video of the guy in the stock looking Z28 with a PT88, but he just flashed the converter and was cutting 1.7 60's on 255/50/16 Mickeys on his way to a 9.98 @ 140. Your car definitely has a 9 second pass in it and a 1.7 60' on a 10 bolt shouldn't be a problem...I hope, haha.

Head back down the 29th! I will be there for sure that day.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM
8 Second Club

I never heard the coupler come off. It just happened to be off on my next pass. I wish I knew for sure. No logs of the runs. Next time I go I plan to log though. I still haven't tried to build boost but last night I was able to stall it another 500-600 rpm on the street without pushing the front tires. It felt FAST last night especially as soon as it shifted into second. Saturday it was just lazy when it shifted into second.

I need to redo the manifold collector gaskets... Got a nice tick because the passenger side blew one out. Suppose that could contribute to a boost leak as well. If I continue to have problems with that area of the turbo kit (bolts/gaskets) I will probably redo the hot side this winter with v bands and smaller pipe.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 AM
9 Second Club

The first time I built boost on the footbrake my u-joint snapped in half, ha. It was a cheap replacement that I got in a pinch and it scared the crap out of me when it happened.

I am anxious to see what mine feels like when I can actually go WOT in 1st. Right now if I ease into it from a dig I can get it to pull to 5k or so with little tire spin before it shifts. 2nd gear is just crazy though. I can only imagine what your car must feel like with a bigger, better turbo!

FWIW I just used high temp RTV as gaskets and don't have any leaks.

I will probably redo my hotside this winter to make room for a bigger turbo if my LQ4 is still running. I told myself I would be happy with ~650 rwhp, but I already want more. I want to get my trans freshened up, as well as get a 9 inch under the car too.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM
8 Second Club

I used RTV last time and it leaked so I bought the copper gaskets that SCE sells and even put a bead of RTV around them and it blew them out. Not sure how though.... almost looks like they melted.

Here is the video of that 10 lb pass that seemed to go the best of all the passes I made.

Quick Reply: Simple LS Swap Gone Awry (370/LS3 heads/PT88)