Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My observations and opinions of current street/strip turbo LS trends.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=hardbodeez;16618867]It would be 'How's the weather EH?', if you really wanted to mock us Canadians. I live in the same city the LS1 was built, about a stone throw away from the Canadian/US border. The other Canadian plants are close to the border as well. These parts are all over the place around here, which makes them plentiful and easy to find. Work quality and metals are similar to any U.S. based plant, so mocking another country is a moot point.
[QUOTE]

lol
wasnt mocking intentionaly, just trying to get the point across that the f-body isnt made in the US. im one of the people that dont make it a point to go out of my way to buy "made in america" products. besides, ive lived most of my life overseas. And Bamberg is beautiful right about now not sure where 58 degree came from but its like 80 out right now and sunny.
on a sad note i took my car to the shipping yard to be ship back to the states wont have it until october. my poor canadian car all by itself on a boat lol

anyway, yes back on the real topic,
turbos turbos turbos
Old 08-14-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. To be honest most would have to pay for this information. But to the OP's point, people really need to research and plan their builds. What I personally don't like seeing is, people buying turbo/blower cams before boosting the car. I understand money is tight, but it's pointless and the car will most likely suffer. I also agree with twin setups. Quick spool and just an overall fun street car. But the down side is affording two of everything. Back to my original statement, great thread and read.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like he knows about turbochargers and drinking!

Kurt
Originally Posted by LASTLS1
So your suppose to know something about turbo LS1's?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

The op from Speed Inc. Starts a great thread, something possibly worthy of a sticky and some of you have to pollute it with garbage. He gave everyone some great basic guidelines to start from and you guys get so far off track that by the time the great Kurt Urban chimes in the thread is retarded.

You guys are the same ones that busted into mom and dad's bedroom when they were trying to build a masterpiece to improve on what they made before! YOU!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Wildcat
The op from Speed Inc. Starts a great thread, something possibly worthy of a sticky and some of you have to pollute it with garbage. He gave everyone some great basic guidelines to start from and you guys get so far off track that by the time the great Kurt Urban chimes in the thread is retarded.

You guys are the same ones that busted into mom and dad's bedroom when they were trying to build a masterpiece to improve on what they made before! YOU!
yep.... what has always sucked about tech
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

This is closer to Facebook then LS1 Tech nowadays, and I don't think that's bad. I noticed the time Jim made the post and gave him some guff! He can take it. Your best resource in cars is common sense, it will always get you close in all builds. Dealing in absolutes will always lose to common sense. I am not very bright about many things, but I can follow what the testing tells me and I don't get emotional about the newest trick part.
Jim gave some suggestions based in facts from his testing. If somebody reads his post they should get that, it could give them a leg up on a new build.

Kurt
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It just annoys me when people rant and rave about how everyone is doing build *** backwards YET doesn't give out some guidelines to follow... including myself. Sure I can google "turbo tech" but that too vague, I want to know specifically turbo/ls combo tech. Either explain or keep lurking and laughing at shitty builds. I got more useful info off YB with guys willing to share but on a specific ls site like this everyone keeps it top secret.... rant over as well.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ im a turbo newb and ive actually been made feel stupid before when ive asked some questions/advice but its been those who are not as knowledgeable like skinnies, intimidator and such. Its kinda discouraging. I also understand that some are grudge racers and their combos are top secret but wich
kinda puts someone like me who's only made two track passes in his life in the dark.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by 427
Looks like he knows about turbochargers and drinking!

Kurt
Your right about BOTH! lol
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
I noticed the time Jim made the post and gave him some guff!
12:26 am gave you the impression I was drinking? I think you've underestimated me. If we go out drinking we'll leave at 12:30 and maybe be home by sunrise
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
This is closer to Facebook then LS1 Tech nowadays,
Just wanted to post that im eating lunch now.

lol.. As long as people dont start posting 20 e-cards an hour we're still good.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

No we won't, I go to bed by 10:00pm most every night

Kurt

Kurt
Originally Posted by INTMD8
12:26 am gave you the impression I was drinking? I think you've underestimated me. If we go out drinking we'll leave at 12:30 and maybe be home by sunrise
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Some people want the "recipe" for something that will work, they deal in "absolutes". The engine world can work in the absolute world, but only if you have control over all the pieces of the puzzle. Jim gave great advice for some common CI engines based on his dyno testing of more cars then we could probably count, but still no perfect anything exists. As soon as you say one widget is the best one, somebody that likes to be an internet terrorist will tell you why it sucks. They sometimes have reasons that have merit in the application they are working on, so some people like myself try not to post much. I have basic common sense and have broken more than my fair share of parts. My carbon footprint is the size of a small country, but I may not vote in "whats the best HUC lobe for my firebird with 3.73 gear and t-tops". I will read/enjoy it for the entertainment, but I won't vote.
A couple general rules:
Call the manufacturer of the part you need for your car if you are not sure of the size or fit. They have the most info about the product and really want you to succeed.
Read about hp numbers, but don't give them more weight than MPH from cars like yours. HP numbers can be very misleading if you only have one data point.
Use common sense. Stare at the part, take it apart until you understand what it can do.
If you ask a question on the internet and the answer is one you don't understand, ask for more info. If somebody slams you ignore them, they are trying to get a rise in some cases.
Life is short, getting upset is a waste of your time.
Breaking stuff once is ignorance, twice is stupidity, three times is racing.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
It just annoys me when people rant and rave about how everyone is doing build *** backwards YET doesn't give out some guidelines to follow... including myself. Sure I can google "turbo tech" but that too vague, I want to know specifically turbo/ls combo tech. Either explain or keep lurking and laughing at shitty builds. I got more useful info off YB with guys willing to share but on a specific ls site like this everyone keeps it top secret.... rant over as well.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
Breaking stuff once is ignorance, twice is stupidity, three times is racing.

Kurt
This is sig worthy right here.

Kurt, you have put up more little snippets like that more than I can count.

You need to change your screen name to Confucius or some **** like that.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing is that you got guys like the OP that have been in the turbo LS game for quite a while and on the other hand you have noobs like me that this is the first turbo build that I've done and didn't want to just simply drop a car off at a shop and cut a check. I'm no mechanic, I'm a project manager in healthcare so my background is nothing in automotive. As such the car game isn't second nature to me. It was ambitious to do a build in something I am not well versed in. I got alot of great info from guys like Tony and Bryan from speed inc and bought quite a bit of stuff through them. I've bought my cam(TU1 btw), springs, pushrods, had them set me up with a forged bottom end(brought in shortblock), driveshaft, sensors, gaskets, and so many little odds and ends. I brought my business to speed inc because I trusted their input.

I'm not gonna lie though. Before I bought my KYTP kit and began buying things from speedInc I first spoke to a couple of the guys at speedinc about my brother in law and I doing a turbo build in our garage and I got scoffed at. I was inquiring about hot and cold sides. i know they are in the business of turning out badass custom turbo cars, but I wanted to build something at home on my time and not wanting to drop a car off and 15k later get something I could have done myself. Maybe not as well, but nothing beats the pride of doing something on your own. At the same time I'm sure they get alot of people that come in asking only to give them a ton of info and never pull the trigger.

I'm not bashing speedinc or Jim and in a way praising him for what he and speedhin has contributed. What i'm getting at is can you truly blame someone for not having the most ideal setup out the gate when all they are trying to do is build their first turbo hotrod? I'm still making 700whp and spool damn quickly with my tc78 and forged 347. What I know now is soooooo much different than what I knew 2 years ago when I started the build. Only thing i'm changing is now I'm putting in a jakes 4l80e and a pt7675. I'm no guru but I tried different things than the norm. Some worked great like my flx puller fans on my griffen rad and others not so well (built 4l60e).

the bottom line is you have two types of people in this section. The guys like Jim that know this platform in and out and then you have guys like me that have to wade through the **** to find a legit answer. But for one to be mad or look down at the other is not conducive to sharing information or moving the community forward. At the end of the day. It is what it is, a message board where any genius or idiot can post anything.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In this amazing thread I saw questions related to people wanting to know "the secret combinations" and I too would like to see that information.

Could a nice simple Excel spread sheet be created?
Each tab should be a different engine (full detail) & turbo build?
Include how the combo was proven, who tuned, displacement, trans, rear end, etc.
Include all of the details in a specific order?
It should then include a picture of the dyno graph, ET/MPH, etc.

Would this be something a few guys would be interested in putting together?
I would definitely put some hours into receiving emails and building the spread sheet!

The key is to get truthful data - garbage in, garbage out...
No bench racing...just the facts with dyno sheets and time slips to back it up.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
In this amazing thread I saw questions related to people wanting to know "the secret combinations" and I too would like to see that information.

Could a nice simple Excel spread sheet be created?
Each tab should be a different engine (full detail) & turbo build?
Include how the combo was proven, who tuned, displacement, trans, rear end, etc.
Include all of the details in a specific order?
It should then include a picture of the dyno graph, ET/MPH, etc.

Would this be something a few guys would be interested in putting together?
I would definitely put some hours into receiving emails and building the spread sheet!

The key is to get truthful data - garbage in, garbage out...
No bench racing...just the facts with dyno sheets and time slips to back it up.
You're not going to get that kind of data that is that in depth. Alot of guys share their info but not too many of the big guys. I can understand why because they build them to be competitive not to share the wealth because then they wouldn't have a leg up on the competition.

You would get most basic info such as trans, rear gear, weight, turbo size, motor size and the basics of that such as compression and what kind of heads. The info you really are looking for is the info you will really not get such as the tweaks in the tune, custom converter specs, cam specs.

Those are the things you have to figure out on your own or pay the person who does have the knowledge. I do a little of both.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

87SilverBullet,
You are correct about getting the small details.
That information is something that I would not expect to see.
It would be advantageous to know WHO tuned it though.

I am not looking for the low level details though, just what is proven and makes power.
The spread sheet would act as a guide to show a culmination of combo's and the results.

Like Jim said, he would be willing to publish the engine/turbo combo's.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS10

Got a little more cash and want to make a T6 fit - 6.0, stock 317's, TU1 and S480 1.32 96 turbine. - It will do 8's if you can get it set up/hook. Search screen name Blown385 on TTF.- 9.4x 142mph @ 4500lbs w/S480. -dead stupid simple combo-
Well this is what I have plus forged rods pistons....
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
This is sig worthy right here.

Kurt, you have put up more little snippets like that more than I can count.

You need to change your screen name to Confucius or some **** like that.

Quick Reply: My observations and opinions of current street/strip turbo LS trends.