Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Shhhh... They're watching...
pmed
Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

I understand that. but on say a 60-130 pull, where I would only have to shift once... It doesn't seem like very much would be left on the table...
Go ride in a turbo/auto car and you will see. I have driven both and would choose an auto every time.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
Go ride in a turbo/auto car and you will see. I have driven both and would choose an auto every time.
Faster, ya they are every time, but i would still choose a stick, i guess its really up to the person which they perfer
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

After several hours of research... I think I am going to go with a TH400, but with a high rear gear

1st ; ~100MPH
2nd; ~170
3rd; ~220

75MPH in 3rd; 2300RPM
40MPH in 2nd; 1800

What does everyone think of a setup like that?

Drivability?

Would the longer gears make spooling better or worse?

Again, this is a street based setup, and of course Id like to go to the track a couple times and see what I can do, but most of my use will be trips down to mexico to race turbo busas to 200+
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly why not go with the 4L80 and keep a 4th gear for those several hour long cruises? Every bit as strong as the 400.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

idk, im just guessing here...

Seems like all the fast big turbo guys are running powerglides through the quarter... so I figured Id go with a TH400 so I had an extra gear for highway, and it seems to line up well...

How do you calculate the optimal number of shifts..? Obviously more is not better
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Mightymouse went into the 8s with a 4l80.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarg
I believe Mightymouse went into the 8s with a 4l80.
I was talking about the guys in the 7s.. I realize 8s is very fast, faster than I plan on going... but just because he did it on with 4L80, doesn't mean he couldn't have gone faster with a TH400 or glide...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you want to go at least 8s, cruise it on super long highway trips and get good mileage. Just curious, what have you budgeted for this build?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

My ideas!!

Twins maybe twin 72's
4l80e with brake just in case you want to hit the track..
Maybe something in the 400 cube range,now I'm not the brightest person when it comes to turbos but I think that setup would do you.. I think back halting these cars are a waste but that's why we all have our own..
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

I was talking about the guys in the 7s.. I realize 8s is very fast, faster than I plan on going... but just because he did it on with 4L80, doesn't mean he couldn't have gone faster with a TH400 or glide...
Transmission isn't the limitation on "Mightymouse's" old car, which is my new car, the limitation is safety and street-ability. Cage was only certified to 8.5's which it has gone faster than already.He didn't street race it, but I do. Doesn't help that the car is only on a T4 flange and almost no timing. It has the capabilities of going faster and trapping much higher but I won't sacrifice the reliability of it just to be a little faster on the highway

No street able stick trans will hold the power, Mighty mouse tried it and so did my good friend Tiago. Both of which are arguably the fastest Street cars on this site..
Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
So you want to go at least 8s, cruise it on super long highway trips and get good mileage. Just curious, what have you budgeted for this build?
Exactly what I was wondering. This will be alot of car for a 23 year old in college.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

This is lol
Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

427 and a 106 is going to suck ***** on the street, even with an auto but especially with a stick.

I too really enjoy a manual trans turbo car but it has to be twins. I've done a fair amount of high speed highway racing and I can tell you a 600rwhp nitrous car will probably have 20 cars on you before you even get into boost with a 427/106/M6 combo.

As for twins selection, I didn't see a power goal mentioned.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
You are making a lot of inferences there... I never said I wanted to run 8s, Ive said numerous times, its just a street car, any track times are just for fun... but its damn hard to refrence power on this site, without citing 1/4mile times... Not enough people on here have a vbox to record 60-130, 100-200etc.

I have no budget... Just like the first time around, I started my 454 LSX build when I was 19... I decided what I want, set a goal, and did whatever was necessary to reach it.. I will be following that exact plan for this build as well.

You're trying to make me sound like an idiot, and a bitch... Which I don't appreciate, you don't know me. I never said I need to get good fuel mileage... Do I NOT want to cruise on the highway at 5000RPM? Yes... but that is a non-issue regardless, because it also needs to be geared to do ~220. Once the gearing is figured out, and of course the car will be setup for street duty as far as cooling, what would be stopping my from taking a 300mile cruise to a car show or whatever..?

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
Exactly what I was wondering. This will be alot of car for a 23 year old in college.
My last build was a lot of car for me... and I wanted to be happy with it.. but I got bored like the second week of driving it... So here I am.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RacerXLs1
My ideas!!

Twins maybe twin 72's
4l80e with brake just in case you want to hit the track..
Maybe something in the 400 cube range,now I'm not the brightest person when it comes to turbos but I think that setup would do you.. I think back halting these cars are a waste but that's why we all have our own..
Yes, I already had twins as an option.. The compressor maps on the 72s really seemed to fit my setup pretty well.

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
Transmission isn't the limitation on "Mightymouse's" old car, which is my new car, the limitation is safety and street-ability. Cage was only certified to 8.5's which it has gone faster than already.He didn't street race it, but I do. Doesn't help that the car is only on a T4 flange and almost no timing. It has the capabilities of going faster and trapping much higher but I won't sacrifice the reliability of it just to be a little faster on the highway

No street able stick trans will hold the power, Mighty mouse tried it and so did my good friend Tiago. Both of which are arguably the fastest Street cars on this site..
Exactly, I think... Im not even sure how far Ill take the cage on this build, 6-8pt rollbar minimum, but im undecided on whether or not I would like dealing with the rollcage.. I started with a 8.5cert 10pt rollcage in this T/A, but I was too tall, and without new seats it wasn't going to work at all..

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 09-07-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
This is lol
Thats helpful, Im not sure what you're laughing at, but let me take a stab in the dark and guess you don't like the 106 either..

Please look through the compressor maps and find me a single turbo that would let me run up to 20psi on a 427 at 7000RPM

Dropping down to a 91, I'd be all over the choke line...

Originally Posted by INTMD8
427 and a 106 is going to suck ***** on the street, even with an auto but especially with a stick.

I too really enjoy a manual trans turbo car but it has to be twins. I've done a fair amount of high speed highway racing and I can tell you a 600rwhp nitrous car will probably have 20 cars on you before you even get into boost with a 427/106/M6 combo.

As for twins selection, I didn't see a power goal mentioned.

Thanks for taking yor response seriously.

There really isn't a power goal, I'd like to run a 427... I figure the first year, Ill start out at ~7psi or so, and then I can move and upgrade from there...

But, after my research last night, I think I would be pretty satisfied with a manual valve body auto.

Let assume, I already have a 427 built for boost and want to go with a single turbo setup... What size should I go with?

Lets also assume(for a second), that I would be running 33x18.5-15 ET Streets... Could I brake boost enough and hook well enough from a 60roll or 100roll, to not suck?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a build that I will be posting up soon . I had similar goals in mind I had Brian at Late model engines build me a soild roller Lsx 427 and josh at kytp build me a twin turbo kit that retains ac with precision 7675 on it. I would call josh and tell him your goals and he could steer you in the right direction.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Let assume, I already have a 427 built for boost and want to go with a single turbo setup... What size should I go with?

Lets also assume(for a second), that I would be running 33x18.5-15 ET Streets... Could I brake boost enough and hook well enough from a 60roll or 100roll, to not suck?
Well I happened to encounter quite a few slicked up turbo cars with a stalled auto. From what I've seen, cruising along on a concrete road (so it's not like you stopped on the highway and did a burnout or prepped anything), the stalled auto cars would have a lot of problems with traction from a roll, lag at first and when the thing finally lights up and the torque curve goes vertical the tires get blown away. Just the way the power came in with the auto/converter. You could fix this with a tight converter but then you are going to need a responsive turbo setup, not a huge single. BTW with a manual valve body auto, I don't believe you can do any wide open throttle downshifting without damaging the trans.

With the stick I could be up a gear from optimal and load the engine harder, if it got a little tire spin it was easy to modulate.

IMO I don't think you could consistently brake boost it and get it to work correctly. A good set of twins will punch it from a roll and be gone instantly so you will always be playing catch-up. Even if you run for a mile you will need to have 500+hp on whoever you are racing to make it up in that distance.

As for single turbo selection I will bow out of that one as I personally wouldn't do it.

Quick Reply: Project "Because Streetcar"