Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a 427 wouldnt you want to be around a 91mm
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Or somthing a tad bigger, i no its a street car but you dont wanto to wait forever for it to spool.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Well I happened to encounter quite a few slicked up turbo cars with a stalled auto. From what I've seen, cruising along on a concrete road (so it's not like you stopped on the highway and did a burnout or prepped anything), the stalled auto cars would have a lot of problems with traction from a roll, lag at first and when the thing finally lights up and the torque curve goes vertical the tires get blown away. Just the way the power came in with the auto/converter. You could fix this with a tight converter but then you are going to need a responsive turbo setup, not a huge single. BTW with a manual valve body auto, I don't believe you can do any wide open throttle downshifting without damaging the trans.

With the stick I could be up a gear from optimal and load the engine harder, if it got a little tire spin it was easy to modulate.

IMO I don't think you could consistently brake boost it and get it to work correctly. A good set of twins will punch it from a roll and be gone instantly so you will always be playing catch-up. Even if you run for a mile you will need to have 500+hp on whoever you are racing to make it up in that distance.

As for single turbo selection I will bow out of that one as I personally wouldn't do it.

Lots of great points, thank you... There is so much to think about... So many variables.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RacerXLs1
Or somthing a tad bigger, i no its a street car but you dont wanto to wait forever for it to spool.
You're right I dont.

What I don't completely understand, is why everyone says go twins, itll spool faster...

Youre using half your engine, to spool a turbo half the size...

What am I missing?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by punisher ta

what am i missing?
moi

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

moi

haha, Ill see what I can do about that....
Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO easier to package and looks cleaner ....
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Warn me when you are ready to hit the street with this so I can hide.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws602
IMO easier to package and looks cleaner ....
The turbo or turbos will be up in the front bumper... I will not be packing it/them between the radiator and engine.

Originally Posted by ACCLR8N
Warn me when you are ready to hit the street with this so I can hide.
haha, will do.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
SSU Moderator

dont take this the wrong way, but you seem to have the $. Just write Jim (INTMD8) a check and get the best set up.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, the only time a 106mm turbo makes sense is for a drag-only car with an impractically high stall torque converter.

Decent sized twin turbos on a forged rotating assembly with all the beefed cap, bearing, and bolt goodies 427 should make for an incredible amount of HP and streetability. Transferring it to the ground will be your biggest challenge.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

I think you should put a little more thought in to the street ability of a car like this. I know your not interested in track times but you are wanting to build a beast that you can "Drive hundreds of miles". Ask Mark Carlyle when he stopped bringing the vette out? That was/is a street car as well and we never see it out anymore and he used to bring it out all the time. Im not saying that its not possible but there is a point where its not capable of being a street car anymore. People can call them street cars all day long but the fact is that they are not very streetable and all you end up doing is bringing them out to make an appearance 2 or 3 times a year. You cant race because the street wont hold that kind of power and you usually just end up beating up or breaking high dollar race car parts for nothing but an appearance. Its just not worth it.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Launching!

I know what you plan to do with the car but have you considered a lager procharger like a f2 or an f3. The car will be a lot easier for you to get setup. You can run a nice tight converter that will pull hard on the top end, because you dont need a big stall to build the boost.

P.S the power delivery will always be predictable. Very linear.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
I know what you plan to do with the car but have you considered a lager procharger like a f2 or an f3. The car will be a lot easier for you to get setup. You can run a nice tight converter that will pull hard on the top end, because you dont need a big stall to build the boost.

P.S the power delivery will always be predictable. Very linear.
An F1-A on a 390 would be more practical and fun.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Im pretty new to turbos and stuff but if you wanted the big single mabey set it up with a spool valve I don't know much about them or if they would work with something like this but it would be different which seems to be what your going for.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Lots of great points, thank you... There is so much to think about... So many variables.
After reading Jim's post, I question my "plan" of eventually going twin turbo and 4L80e. In any event, Jim will most definitely be a part of my build- cam, turbo selection, etc.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by N2OBaby
An F1-A on a 390 would be more practical and fun.
Or even the new F1-X is supposed to be pretty badass. That with a 6-speed with a decent set of gears and it would be badass. The linear boost would help hook up on the street I think better than the instant hit of the torque from a big turbo.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 57 Posts

I am NOT saying this to be degrading/mean but if you really dont understand why properly sized twins will spool faster (and make the same power) than a big single then you have some more research to do. And from the tone of your posts, you are researching, which is good. I just dont feel like typing a worthwhile explanation because its gonna take some time.

i would go with twins on a large motor/streetcar build. 4l80 would be perfect too. if its a street car, youll want the extra gear and its every bit as strong as the 400.

Regardless of what route you choose, you are going to have to get a boost controller that ramps boost in really well. you wont even be able to go WOT(if at all) until well over 100mph.

I look forward to the build!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
After reading Jim's post, I question my "plan" of eventually going twin turbo and 4L80e. In any event, Jim will most definitely be a part of my build- cam, turbo selection, etc.
Didn't mean to make it seem like twins and a 4l80e sucks, I'm building just that for my own car. Just depends on your goals.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't mean to make it seem like twins and a 4l80e sucks, I'm building just that for my own car. Just depends on your goals.
Ok. Then I'm not as worried! Haha. Goals are DIY twin turbo setup with 4L80e conversion. Purposes are show car, street cruiser, and an occasional trip to the track. I'd want it "fun" on the street, be able to drive on the highway (80e), and able to take it to the track if I wanted to. A good "all around" car.

Quick Reply: Project "Because Streetcar"