Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tick Performance Blower&Turbo Cams!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in the market for a camshaft soon. I have a 86 mustang coupe. lm7 5.3,th400 with brake, ptc converter,8.8 3.73s,holley HP efi. Not sure if I want twin 70s(.68 a/r) or a single ball bearing GT45r .96. I am gonna have a A2A intercooler, meth injection, and gonna run e85. Car was originally a 4cyl car. Has tubular k-member and control arms so its gonna be pretty light.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Launching!

I'm interested in the idle of the stage 2 turbo cam!

Last edited by mightybird; 04-23-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oChristiano
How much would I be loosing on the top end with the .81ar vs the .96? Car will be full weight. I need to pick up a new rear end for it at the moment so in your opinion 3.23 or 3.42s? Also I was told to use the Vic Jr for better low end for a full weight 6spd street car. I was considering the pro flo. I'll be giving you a call as soon as I'm ready to buy a cam ! It'll b my last purchase to make sure it fits everything I have.
You would not lose any top end. AR does not change the maximum amount of drive pressure created. It only changes where in the power band that peak drive pressure is reached. It will only change under the curve power which with a 6 speed is greatly needed! It will also help with boost recovery on the shift.

I would have to say that the Pro Flo would be much better in the low end power department since it has a longer intake runner than a single plane does.
Originally Posted by dmeyer
Big thanks to Martin,

I ordered s custom cam from him and it was on my door step 7 days later!!!

Thanks again.

Now if I can just get this dam crank pulley off!!
No problem! Post up when that thing is running!!!
Originally Posted by Wicked69
No problem. I am counting on it being consistent in the 5's and daily driven. It doesn't get much better than that....at least not in a heavy *** chevelle.
I got your spec sheet today and I'll be sending a spec soon!
Originally Posted by Big_Shannon
I will be in the market for a camshaft soon. I have a 86 mustang coupe. lm7 5.3,th400 with brake, ptc converter,8.8 3.73s,holley HP efi. Not sure if I want twin 70s(.68 a/r) or a single ball bearing GT45r .96. I am gonna have a A2A intercooler, meth injection, and gonna run e85. Car was originally a 4cyl car. Has tubular k-member and control arms so its gonna be pretty light.
I would do the twin 70's all day long over the single GT45. I would love to do a cam for this set-up! Sounds like it will be a very quick car!
Originally Posted by mightybird
I'm interested in the idle of the stage 2 turbo cam!
Which one? The 230/230 115?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Martin,

I am planning an LQ4 GT45 or S475 LS6 inake build. 4L80E and 3.27 rear gear in the BMW wagon ~3600 #s. Not Planning a race car just a street monster. I do need to pass idle emissions, Worst case I can buy some property in a non emission county how much power will I leave on the table with a cam that can pass idle emissions.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flynfrog
Martin,

I am planning an LQ4 GT45 or S475 LS6 inake build. 4L80E and 3.27 rear gear in the BMW wagon ~3600 #s. Not Planning a race car just a street monster. I do need to pass idle emissions, Worst case I can buy some property in a non emission county how much power will I leave on the table with a cam that can pass idle emissions.
So it has to pass a sniffer test? To pass a sniffer you'll need -4 or less overlap@.050" and 55 or less@.006". That will be leaving a large amount of power on the table for sure. The larger the turbine and the less overlap is used the more power, spool time and torque you leave on the table.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply.

Yes has to pass a sniffer. Maybe I will look at titling it some where without emissions. Would you recommend your off the shelf cam or a custom grind?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Martin -

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...am-please.html
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flynfrog
Thanks for the reply.

Yes has to pass a sniffer. Maybe I will look at titling it some where without emissions. Would you recommend your off the shelf cam or a custom grind?
You're most likely going to need a custom grind unless you title it else where. It would be best to get the most performance out of the set-up while still meeting and passing inspection.
Originally Posted by Driftin_240sx
I shot you my email address in your thread! Here it is again in case you had missed it:
martin@tick-performance.com
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Hi Martin,

I am starting to get pieces together for a new build. So far I have callies rods and mahle pistons. I currently have a 200 hp shot of gas on the car now but will be going for a blower in the future. Is it possible to get a cam that will work with the gas and the blower?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BradSV8
Hi Martin,

I am starting to get pieces together for a new build. So far I have callies rods and mahle pistons. I currently have a 200 hp shot of gas on the car now but will be going for a blower in the future. Is it possible to get a cam that will work with the gas and the blower?
I cam a blower motor and a nitrous motor similarly so yes it is possible. Do you have an email address? If so just shoot me an email to the address I've provided in this thread and we'll get you something put together.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Launching!

hey i was wondering what you might suggest for my turbo setup

L76 block 08' (ls2 block) with 317 heads (it will not have any of the fuel cut or multi displacement stuff)
master power t76 turbo .96 a/r
ls6 intake manifold
t56 trans
only spin up to 6200-6500 rpm
10-12psi

im in the process of putting my engine together so now is the time for a cam upgrade
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Hi Martin,

For this cam:

Tick Performance Turbo Stage 1 Camshaft for LS1 & LS6 Engines
226/226 | .60x"/.60x" | LSA114+3

With the exception of no split, this doesn't appear much different than some NA off the shelf cams I see that maybe have a 2 degree split, similar lift, same LSA. The +3 is of no consequence if you degree the cam.

Can you elaborate please?

Ron
Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by awd-rwd racer
hey i was wondering what you might suggest for my turbo setup

L76 block 08' (ls2 block) with 317 heads (it will not have any of the fuel cut or multi displacement stuff)
master power t76 turbo .96 a/r
ls6 intake manifold
t56 trans
only spin up to 6200-6500 rpm
10-12psi

im in the process of putting my engine together so now is the time for a cam upgrade
I actually have a cam sitting here on the shelf that would work perfectly for your set-up. It was returned by a customer and it was a custom grind. I will sell it for our off the shelf price. I've been keeping it around hoping someone with a very similar set-up would pop up one day and take it home with them.

Specs are 226/235 .605"/.610" 115+2
Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Hi Martin,

For this cam:

Tick Performance Turbo Stage 1 Camshaft for LS1 & LS6 Engines
226/226 | .60x"/.60x" | LSA114+3

With the exception of no split, this doesn't appear much different than some NA off the shelf cams I see that maybe have a 2 degree split, similar lift, same LSA. The +3 is of no consequence if you degree the cam.

Can you elaborate please?

Ron
Ron,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking? You're correct that there are N/A cams running around that are similar in duration and LSA, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be elaborating on particularly?

Help me out here.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick

Ron,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking? You're correct that there are N/A cams running around that are similar in duration and LSA, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be elaborating on particularly?

Help me out here.
Sorry, should have been more specific.
What makes this a turbo cam?

Ron
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Sorry, should have been more specific.
What makes this a turbo cam?

Ron
That the "moniker" turbo cam is slapped on it of course!!!

Seriously though,

Softer lobe ramps, lower TDC overlap figures, the right valve events for the given combination.

Not much more to elaborate on. I could go into turbo cam theory, but that would take months to fully elaborate on.

I will say this though, that cam was designed for heavier GTO's or trucks that would be running a small T4 turbo with a 75mm or smaller turbine wheel. It is designed in that manner to have less TDC overlap, enough lift to make great power, close the intake valve early enough and open the exhaust valve late enough to make low-end torque that those combinations need.

I also have used it on F-bodies with TC76/78 turbo's and smaller MP70/76 and ON3 turbo's as well due to it's low TDC overlap figures.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM
8 Second Club

That the "moniker" turbo cam is slapped on it of course!!!

Seriously though,

Softer lobe ramps, lower TDC overlap figures, the right valve events for the given combination.

Not much more to elaborate on. I could go into turbo cam theory, but that would take months to fully elaborate on.

I will say this though, that cam was designed for heavier GTO's or trucks that would be running a small T4 turbo with a 75mm or smaller turbine wheel. It is designed in that manner to have less TDC overlap, enough lift to make great power, close the intake valve early enough and open the exhaust valve late enough to make low-end torque that those combinations need.

I also have used it on F-bodies with TC76/78 turbo's and smaller MP70/76 and ON3 turbo's as well due to it's low TDC overlap figures.

Hope this helps.
Perfect! Thanks Martin.
After a successful tweaking of my Vette, I've fallen in love with the LS platform, and am going to replace the 498" rat motor in my Nove with a turbo L33. It will have big shoes to fill, somehow I think it may embarras the old beast.

Just learning about turbo stuff now.

Ron
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Launching!

I actually have a cam sitting here on the shelf that would work perfectly for your set-up. It was returned by a customer and it was a custom grind. I will sell it for our off the shelf price. I've been keeping it around hoping someone with a very similar set-up would pop up one day and take it home with them.

Specs are 226/235 .605"/.610" 115+2
i sent you a pm, but i guess ill just ask on here:

just wondering how this cam would make the car sound at idle? i dont mind a little grunt to it, but def dont want it to sound like an old school big cam car also you said you would sell it for an "off the shelf price", what is that?

I also need several other things which if you have a shop, you might have laying around used or new. maybe we can work out a package price

high volume oil pump
timing chain/crank sprocket/cam sprocket
valve spring kit
ls9 head gaskets
ls2 front cover

im sure there is more thats all i can think of right now.

also, what makes this custom cam better then one of your off the shelf turbo cam's (i dont really know anything about cams)

lmk
thanks!!!!!

Last edited by awd-rwd racer; 05-02-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

My Tick Stage 2 turbo cam is on the way! Just ordered that biotch!

Dave
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Martin,

Suggestions on a lq4, file fit, headstudded. ls1 intake, BW s472, 96mm exducer, 1.32 ar, t6 housing, 5 to 4" exhaust, dual nozzle meth, 91 octane, th350, i will order a custom stall after i get the cam. Holley hp dual fuel pump, 96 lb injectors. I want the cam to perform, drive good, and sound nasty!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BanditDave
My Tick Stage 2 turbo cam is on the way! Just ordered that biotch!

Dave
Awesome Dave!!! Keep us updated on the progress you make with it!
Originally Posted by Quickfrc
Martin,

Suggestions on a lq4, file fit, headstudded. ls1 intake, BW s472, 96mm exducer, 1.32 ar, t6 housing, 5 to 4" exhaust, dual nozzle meth, 91 octane, th350, i will order a custom stall after i get the cam. Holley hp dual fuel pump, 96 lb injectors. I want the cam to perform, drive good, and sound nasty!
235/239 .610"/.610" 115+5

I use this cam A LOT with that hotside the T6 BW has and 3.622" stroke engines. Works beautifully and sounds great at idle!

Quick Reply: Tick Performance Blower&Turbo Cams!!!