Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

stock 5.3 vs stock LQ4, which is better for high boost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually went with a 317 head to drop compression down a tad on my 5.3 since it is the flat top 9.9 compression. If I was going to run E85 exclusively (local dealership runs out now and again) then I would have kept the 9.9 but I decided to drop it down a tad.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
those are NA times i posted lol.

with a 6.0 and a correctly sized turbo, skinnies would have achieved the same on less boost. which, imo is easier on the engine. thats what ive been saying all along.

Interestingly enough he has a 346 going even faster with less cubes, lol. Given it has a very built upper end and spins up to 9400 rpms.

LS/Th350/9.032/149.95

So why is it do you think Skinnies prefers to run the 5.3 to the 6.0? How many 6.0 motors have you seen with bone stock short block and heads going 8.6? I am just curious.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sarg
So why is it do you think Skinnies prefers to run the 5.3 to the 6.0? How many 6.0 motors have you seen with bone stock short block and heads going 8.6? I am just curious.
I think skinnies likes the 5.3 because they are less money than the 6.0. they can make the same total power before something lets go, and easy to find.

an aluminum 5.3 is a HECK OF A LOT cheaper than an aluminum 6.2l , for example.

I dont think you will find many cars that are 2600 so you wont find many other cars running 8.6s

Im looking at the 2012 fastest list, and the 5.3s dont show up till the bottom. Why do you think this is???
Old 10-27-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I do have another 5.3 question; so the 04.5-05+ 5.3's have the stronger LS2 rods, and the L33 motor is lighter as well. This seems to be a good one to look for, but I noticed that they also have the slightly higher CR of 9.9:1 vs the earlier 5.3's that have 9.5:1. Given that the boost will be turned up, would it be wiser to go with the earlier weaker 5.3? Or the newer higher CR 5.3?

I was thinking originally that about a 9:1 or 9.5:1 CR would be about perfect. But perhaps since I will be using an FMIC and E85 the 9.9:1 might be okay? Looking for inputs.
Detonation kills the rods in most cases. If you have good fuel and good tune theirs no reason why the older style rods won't hold up. I posted earlier that on YouTube theirs an s10 with an older style 5.3 that's running 25lbs and a 125 shot of nitrous. I ran 18lbs on mine and wouldn't be afraid to do it again
Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by T76s10
Detonation kills the rods in most cases. If you have good fuel and good tune theirs no reason why the older style rods won't hold up. I posted earlier that on YouTube theirs an s10 with an older style 5.3 that's running 25lbs and a 125 shot of nitrous. I ran 18lbs on mine and wouldn't be afraid to do it again
Well, if detonation will be the only thing to worry about, wouldn't it make more sense that running the slightly higher CR of the newer 5.3 (with the other benefits of being lighter and stronger rods) would be the way to go if running E85 and a good tune? I am assuming that what I have read here that the slight increase in CR will still be fine given the E85.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
I think skinnies likes the 5.3 because they are less money than the 6.0. they can make the same total power before something lets go, and easy to find.

an aluminum 5.3 is a HECK OF A LOT cheaper than an aluminum 6.2l , for example.

I dont think you will find many cars that are 2600 so you wont find many other cars running 8.6s

Im looking at the 2012 fastest list, and the 5.3s dont show up till the bottom. Why do you think this is???
Probably 2 reasons.

One, the 5.3 builds are primarily budget builds there people are trying to get it done on the cheap! You don't see too many $25,000 5.3 motors out there. I know that I am not spending a ton of money, no forged pistons, no $2500 block, no rods, no $500 rings, none of that. If I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to blow it on a super long block, I probably would do things a little different. But then again Skinnies, Demah and others have not done any of that either and are still turning some pretty good times. They would both be in the middle to top of the list.

Two, there are quite a few 5.3 times that I have seen that are not on that list but there are videos and time slips being posted.

@Call911

Absolutely, if you are running E85 full time, it would be worth keeping the compression. E85 likes compression. There have been studies done that ran NA motors in the 17-18:1 compression ratio on E85 and found not only were they fine, but they actually got as good of gas mileage as gas cars or very close due to the additional hp from the compression.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you picked a motor and turbo yet? Lol
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Have you picked a motor and turbo yet? Lol
Probably going to go the 5.3 and PT7675 route, but not in any hurry. If I happen to find a smoking deal on a 5.3 I may pull the trigger early, but wasn't planning on starting this project until next year. Just wanted to get some research done first so I knew what direction to go.

Thanks for the info Sarg. Looks like the L33 would be a good choice for me then.

New question; does mileage matter on the motor? I had planned on putting new rings and bearings, and rod bolts/head studs with whatever I get. I am seeing some fairly inexpensive 5.3's ($400-$500) but they are 130,XXX+ on the mileage. Whereas some of the 30,XXX 5.3's are going for $1000. Not sure if I should spend the extra $ on the lower mileage or not.

The L33 5.3's seem to bit a bit more $ than the standard 5.3's (and more rare). Anyone know the weight difference between the two?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Probably going to go the 5.3 and PT7675 route, but not in any hurry. If I happen to find a smoking deal on a 5.3 I may pull the trigger early, but wasn't planning on starting this project until next year. Just wanted to get some research done first so I knew what direction to go.

Thanks for the info Sarg. Looks like the L33 would be a good choice for me then.

New question; does mileage matter on the motor? I had planned on putting new rings and bearings, and rod bolts/head studs with whatever I get. I am seeing some fairly inexpensive 5.3's ($400-$500) but they are 130,XXX+ on the mileage. Whereas some of the 30,XXX 5.3's are going for $1000. Not sure if I should spend the extra $ on the lower mileage or not.

The L33 5.3's seem to bit a bit more $ than the standard 5.3's (and more rare). Anyone know the weight difference between the two?
about 75 lb difference, Keep searching since you have all year and find one cheap. Ive had them abart with 150K on the clock and they still look new with good bearings and crosshatch. Leave that sucker stock man, if you are worried about it then take it apart and clean everyhing but there is no reason to rebuild it if everything looks good.

Do the head studs, valve springs, and ls9 gaskets, If you get a "big" cam then upgrade pushrods and the lifters to ls7 imo (big cam=big rpm) but if your going to do a ls6 or similar sized cam the stockers are fine. I know it seems weird to throw a stock engine in without doing anything to it but trust me and everyone else ,dont rering it, dont do rod bolts, dont throw bearings in it, dont do main studs, or any thing else. Stock will Rock

Everyone was telling me to do the same here locally and that my **** was gonna explode and all that but its been ultra reliable. Ive had trans and converter issues and lots of other stuff, but had not needed to touch that little engine.

Keep on searching, the deals are out there, I got my 24K 5.3 for $175 and may have found a l33 but gotta go check it out as the owner says the cyl walls may or may not be rusty. Start spreading the word around of what your looking for and you will find one. Hodson just found a complete 06 5.3 with coils, non egr manifolds, intake, front accesories and all for $400 with 100K miles and that thing looks clean inside, alot better than mine did as I think some lady drove it and never changed the oil. Were putting an s475 on it
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if detonation will be the only thing to worry about, wouldn't it make more sense that running the slightly higher CR of the newer 5.3 (with the other benefits of being lighter and stronger rods) would be the way to go if running E85 and a good tune? I am assuming that what I have read here that the slight increase in CR will still be fine given the E85.
Yeah it would make more sense since your doing e85 so cr isn't much of a factor. Only reason i would do an older block is because their are usually cheaper. The newer ones typically have lower miles and junkyards are asking an arm and a leg for them.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next year? Oh ok well you have a lot of time to find a motor lol there really isn't that much research in a stock motor set up. I say start it next weekend
Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver_82
about 75 lb difference, Keep searching since you have all year and find one cheap. Ive had them abart with 150K on the clock and they still look new with good bearings and crosshatch. Leave that sucker stock man, if you are worried about it then take it apart and clean everyhing but there is no reason to rebuild it if everything looks good.

Do the head studs, valve springs, and ls9 gaskets, If you get a "big" cam then upgrade pushrods and the lifters to ls7 imo (big cam=big rpm) but if your going to do a ls6 or similar sized cam the stockers are fine. I know it seems weird to throw a stock engine in without doing anything to it but trust me and everyone else ,dont rering it, dont do rod bolts, dont throw bearings in it, dont do main studs, or any thing else. Stock will Rock

Everyone was telling me to do the same here locally and that my **** was gonna explode and all that but its been ultra reliable. Ive had trans and converter issues and lots of other stuff, but had not needed to touch that little engine.

Keep on searching, the deals are out there, I got my 24K 5.3 for $175 and may have found a l33 but gotta go check it out as the owner says the cyl walls may or may not be rusty. Start spreading the word around of what your looking for and you will find one. Hodson just found a complete 06 5.3 with coils, non egr manifolds, intake, front accesories and all for $400 with 100K miles and that thing looks clean inside, alot better than mine did as I think some lady drove it and never changed the oil. Were putting an s475 on it
Thanks for the info Chris. I trust your opinion, but that is hard for me to swallow a high mileage motor, and not swap out rings or bearings.

If you happen to come across a good deal, let me know.

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Next year? Oh ok well you have a lot of time to find a motor lol there really isn't that much research in a stock motor set up. I say start it next weekend
Lol, I'd like to, but with winter coming up, and other projects that need to be done first, it won't be until next year, unless I get a great deal on a motor.

Quick Reply: stock 5.3 vs stock LQ4, which is better for high boost?