Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replys. She is turning out nice. thinking about leaving the hood and lights black this year to see if i like it. probably will paint them in the fall, or winter. hoods still not done.

Originally Posted by slowblackbird
Did you use the speedinc adapters for the gauges in the vents?

I just got cut my ws6 hood this weekend and then was reading around on your posts just to see how much they are worth. O well it's done now lol
Those arent the speed inc adapters. just some 1/8" textured plastic i use to make them. takes about 10 minutes a piece, but they turn out nice. need to make about a 100 and sell them on here, haha.

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Uhhhhh HMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........

BTW your charge piping reminds me of one of those wacky straws you got when you were a kid that did all the loopty loops.
Im getting to it man, havent had a reliable method of recording in the last few weeks. it sounds healthy, even with a 5" downpipe. compression made it no joke, untuned it revs fast as hell!!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
Thanks for the replys. She is turning out nice. thinking about leaving the hood and lights black this year to see if i like it. probably will paint them in the fall, or winter. hoods still not done.

Those arent the speed inc adapters. just some 1/8" textured plastic i use to make them. takes about 10 minutes a piece, but they turn out nice. need to make about a 100 and sell them on here, haha.

Im getting to it man, havent had a reliable method of recording in the last few weeks. it sounds healthy, even with a 5" downpipe. compression made it no joke, untuned it revs fast as hell!!
14.5* of overlap@.050" it better sound healthy!!!

How much compression did you end up with again? With that cam, that intake, those heads and that turbo this thing is going to want at least a 7200rpm shift point if not 7400-7500rpm.

It's gonna be naaaasty!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If only the turbo was 3" or 4" more to the left the charge pipe could go right into the throttle body straight shot.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks really wicked! Killer look for sho! Lol
Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

14.5* of overlap@.050" it better sound healthy!!!

How much compression did you end up with again? With that cam, that intake, those heads and that turbo this thing is going to want at least a 7200rpm shift point if not 7400-7500rpm.

It's gonna be naaaasty!
I havent done a compression test, but with those heads, and the cometic gaskets it should come in @ 10.85-1
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

Whew! Nice compression! It's been forever seen I've seen your spec sheet. I'd forgotten a lot about your build and I'm too lazy to search through the thread to look for the information. Hahaha.

The cam will bleed a fair amount of dynamic compression off. For the size engine you have, and the amount of compression you've got, they will soak up the cam well.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjlsY...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Wheweee! She sounds nasty!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

That sucker definitely talks to you.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 PM
FormerVendor

Kyle,

Do you have an adjustable timing set on this engine? If so, I'd like to try a few different ICL positions once you get it up and running well with the suspension sorted out. I've learned a few new things since specifying your cam and it may end up running it's best a few degrees advanced from the position of the ICL now.

That said, you have a lot of compression in this motor which may end up not needing the earlier closing intake valve event. Only one way to find out!

I know I offered some advice a long time ago on shock tuning and it seemed to help. I'll be more than happy to continue where we left off.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

^ Now that's support!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kyle,

Do you have an adjustable timing set on this engine? If so, I'd like to try a few different ICL positions once you get it up and running well with the suspension sorted out. I've learned a few new things since specifying your cam and it may end up running it's best a few degrees advanced from the position of the ICL now.

That said, you have a lot of compression in this motor which may end up not needing the earlier closing intake valve event. Only one way to find out!

I know I offered some advice a long time ago on shock tuning and it seemed to help. I'll be more than happy to continue where we left off.

I honestly cant remember what timing set i have on now. Have a tune next weekend so i will let you know how that goes. Thanks for the info Martin!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
^ Now that's support!
This goes for ANY of my customers. I don't limit my tech support to the camshaft I sold to someone.
I honestly cant remember what timing set i have on now. Have a tune next weekend so i will let you know how that goes. Thanks for the info Martin!
Awesome. I would like to try a few different center line positions if it is possible and you are willing to try them out.

Same deal with the shocks. We will put this thing in the low 5's if I have anything to do with it!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds awesome...my concern is with only dumping exhaust out of one side you will push the car over to the left on top end...
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

This goes for ANY of my customers. I don't limit my tech support to the camshaft I sold to someone.

Awesome. I would like to try a few different center line positions if it is possible and you are willing to try them out.

Same deal with the shocks. We will put this thing in the low 5's if I have anything to do with it!
I am down for whatever. plan on keeping this combo for a long time. The reaer shocks im running are afco double asjustables. So we have plenty of playing with those.

Heres the update with the car. Took it to Burkhart for a suspension setup. Everything came out good. Best part of day was finding out the raceweight of the car. Ready for this. 2955 with 7 gallons of e85.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM
FormerVendor

I am down for whatever. plan on keeping this combo for a long time. The reaer shocks im running are afco double asjustables. So we have plenty of playing with those.

Heres the update with the car. Took it to Burkhart for a suspension setup. Everything came out good. Best part of day was finding out the raceweight of the car. Ready for this. 2955 with 7 gallons of e85.
Very nice! That's light!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ready to go with you in it?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blown06
Ready to go with you in it?
Not with me in it. With me in it its comes to 3125.

I got the car tuned this Sunday. I was going to take some vids but the day did not go as planned. Heres the results

The good
-Boost comes in a lot sooner with the setup, and reaches max boost about 1000 RPM sooner then before.
-Made more power with less timing.

The bad
-Car was ran on a 92* day resulting high IAT temps. The coldest we seen was 190, the highest was 235. Average was around 215-220 each pull. So we couldnt add much timing. That killed our power past 5500 RPM.

-With the added compresssion the motor runs hotter, and i was pushing my small radiator last year with 9.0:1. Average temp of the motor on each pull was about 220 degrees.

-We used a manual boost controller to keep it simple for the tune. During each run the boost would hit its predicted number then slowly creep 3-4 psi higher. So the wastegate is not doing its job well enough.

-We seemed to have a restriction in the higher RPM range that also cost some power. My tuner though since the exhaust housing is only a .96 then it could be restricting air flow.

The setup has serious potential. I will be needing a way to cool my intake air. With ether a meth kit, or air water setup. Still doing some research, but as of now im leaning toward the meth kit. My exhaust is getting redone this winter to go with 2 wastegates better placed. Also need a new exhaust housing. Not sure on the size i need or what my options are with that.

Fixing a few other problems at the moment. The FAST 102 started to stick on the dyno, which sucked ***. Didnt expect a 400 dollar TB to stick..... The rear knock sensor grommet cracked and started to leak some oil. Once i get those fixxed I will be doing some testing then get it ready for some test hits. The MSD boost controller i was going to put on it ended up being more of a pain in the *** waist of time then anything so its getting returned and im going with something different. For now will just run off the spring and manual controller. I will post some vids, or results when I get it out.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks to hear man, but I'm sure you will get it all worked out. I guess if everyhting went perfect, this hobby would be too easy, huh? lol Good luck with finishing the build!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to videos man.

Quick Reply: 408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29