Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Grab a Boost Leash Kyle. I'd go with a dual or even triple nozzle methanol kit with no less than 15gph nozzles. You need some serious methanol flow to get you where you need to be.

I believe I can get you a 1.24 or a 1.40 AR housing if you're interested.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will need dual wastegates close to the manifolds to work decent, we ran into same issue with a single closer to turbo, going to need the meth inj. keep in mind you need it up from temp sensor, and the higher the water in it cools more, just things we have had to deal with....good luck...Rob
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

will the car be out as of september 21st?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the words gents. Yes the car will be racing on the 21st no matter what. I was leaning toward the boost leash after having another guy recommend it to me. But for the rest of the season i will just run off the spring. Yes Martin, please look into finding me a 1.24, not 100% sure im changing that this winter, but its worth investigating.

May be heading to the track friday night to see how the car is running in race mode. I will be logging with HP tuners for the first time. So we will see how it goes. It will be on low boost though. 7-10 psi only. just to see how its reacting.

Martin, you asked me about my shocks once. I have them set as of now to all the way tight, then backed off 19 on top and 22 on the bottom. They are afco double adjustables. Hows that sound? Tire pressure @ 16 psi hot. front shocks are all the way loose then tightened 2. stock rear springs, 325 afco in front.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
Thanks for all the words gents. Yes the car will be racing on the 21st no matter what. I was leaning toward the boost leash after having another guy recommend it to me. But for the rest of the season i will just run off the spring. Yes Martin, please look into finding me a 1.24, not 100% sure im changing that this winter, but its worth investigating.

May be heading to the track friday night to see how the car is running in race mode. I will be logging with HP tuners for the first time. So we will see how it goes. It will be on low boost though. 7-10 psi only. just to see how its reacting.

Martin, you asked me about my shocks once. I have them set as of now to all the way tight, then backed off 19 on top and 22 on the bottom. They are afco double adjustables. Hows that sound? Tire pressure @ 16 psi hot. front shocks are all the way loose then tightened 2. stock rear springs, 325 afco in front.
If you're going to be on radials, leave the front end alone in terms of extension(rebound). Tighten front compression to 2 off of full tight.

In the rear, tighten your compression to 2 off full tight and take the extension to 10 off full loose.

These settings should technically hook on a dirt road. If it looks good, tire is separating away from the body of the car, planting into the track and tire pressure is where it should be start tightening the extension up front and rear one end at a time and I would start with the front.

Which tire are you running? 16psi sounds a little low, but then again the weight of your car is light enough that it would probably work. My car weighing 3000lbs with me in it I normally set my Hoosier 275's to 18psi.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
If you're going to be on radials, leave the front end alone in terms of extension(rebound). Tighten front compression to 2 off of full tight.

In the rear, tighten your compression to 2 off full tight and take the extension to 10 off full loose.

These settings should technically hook on a dirt road. If it looks good, tire is separating away from the body of the car, planting into the track and tire pressure is where it should be start tightening the extension up front and rear one end at a time and I would start with the front.

Which tire are you running? 16psi sounds a little low, but then again the weight of your car is light enough that it would probably work. My car weighing 3000lbs with me in it I normally set my Hoosier 275's to 18psi.
Im on M/T 28x10.5S tires. Still have the same recommendations???
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

If you run the slick at that compression setting it will probably want more tire pressure so it doesn't flatten out the tire too badly.

That said, my experience with slicks is very limited. I'm a radial guy and have extensive experience with them versus a slick.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

updates from the track? I know you made passes last night and heard it was FAST! (especially for shake down runs)
Old 09-08-2013, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

I just read through your entire build- WOW! I've been off here for a lil while. I am doing a very similar build to my car as well- same CI and turbo.
What RPM does it build boost?
And at What RPM are you at full boost?

Car looks Great and Sounds amazing!!

Keep us all posted on it
Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Picked up HP tuners this last week and holy crap. It is soooo nice to be able to look up exactly what your car is doing. Took the car out to the track friday night and unfortunatly it was ATV drags night. So the track was ****. But we still managed to gather lots of good info.

Started with going to all the way loose on the bottom, and in the middle on top. Car hooked but felt really slopy. Next pass we took the bottom to 11 from tight making it in the middle, and left the top the same. It hooked and went 1.41 to the 60 and 330 was 3.91. Here is the pass

Still some testing to do, its falling on its face after the shift, so i need to send my tuner my logs and get it taken care off.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6tx
I just read through your entire build- WOW! I've been off here for a lil while. I am doing a very similar build to my car as well- same CI and turbo.
What RPM does it build boost?
And at What RPM are you at full boost?

Car looks Great and Sounds amazing!!

Keep us all posted on it
It boosts near instantly, starts around 3200 and hits full boost around 4400.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that looked fun. What exactly is it doing after the shifts in the log?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power that car is making you need a Holley ecu. Stock OS only goes so far.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 AM
FormerVendor

For the cost of a good boost controller, selling your hp tuners, and stock engine harness/PCM, you could pay for a HP efi, but I'd recommend going dominator.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Damn that looked fun. What exactly is it doing after the shifts in the log?
AFR going to 10.3-10.5, rpm drops 1200 rpm and doesnt pick back up forever. pretty much goes so rich it bogs.

Originally Posted by Louis
For the cost of a good boost controller, selling your hp tuners, and stock engine harness/PCM, you could pay for a HP efi, but I'd recommend going dominator.
i agree that the car needs a aftermarket OS. ive been looking into them, and am debating on the cost and everything as i need to buy a meth kit, and holley already has a controller for that. plus a boost controller. Might happen this winter, we will have to wait and see. How much power or potential do you believe is being left on the table if the car was tuned out with the stock OS vs a aftermarket unit such as the dominator by holley?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 AM
FormerVendor

50-100. Closed loop fueling being able to target exactly the AFR you want is critical in making big reliable power.

It truly transforms the car.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 AM
FormerVendor

Aftermarket ECU's are a godsend. Very precise as Louis said.

Kyle,

This weekend at LSfest I was helping one of my local NC customers with his Real Street 275 car, and we picked up 6mph and nearly 2 tenths just cleaning up fuel on the hit by ramping fuel in progressively, putting more timing to it on the hit, more timing to it after the converter grabbed the motor and pulled it down, and cleaning up the fuel at the bottom of the shift extension and in high gear.

IIRC your best 60' and 330' from the old combination was 1.4x and 3.9x? What are you shifting at 1-2? If you don't get enough RPM on the high gear shift it will ride the converter's shift extension rpm pretty much out the back door.

Saw that a lot this weekend on the two Real Street cars in our camp. Just cleaning up the fuel though and getting the car to leave harder and making the converter work the way that it should for the combo resulted in a large gain as well.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

we run megasquirt..awesome....total control, data logging, we control everything from it, meth injection, starting line 2 step, trans shift etc...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
AFR going to 10.3-10.5, rpm drops 1200 rpm and doesnt pick back up forever. pretty much goes so rich it bogs.

i agree that the car needs a aftermarket OS. ive been looking into them, and am debating on the cost and everything as i need to buy a meth kit, and holley already has a controller for that. plus a boost controller. Might happen this winter, we will have to wait and see. How much power or potential do you believe is being left on the table if the car was tuned out with the stock OS vs a aftermarket unit such as the dominator by holley?
You know my car. Take it from me. I went Dominator from a stock ECU and have never looked back.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 AM
9 Second Club

Awesome build. Just read the entire build including your old build thread.

Quick Reply: 408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29