Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the vid that made me go turbo. I lile the fact that dave had the courtesy of turning down the music whenever he'd get on the throttlet. Other videos with loud obnoxious music are terrible. Car sound ftw!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
I decided to go procharger because from all the reading I did they are easier to make reliable... Heat issues is a big problem with turbo's and with a procharger you don't have nearly as much heat. If you're wanting to make HUGE power a turbo might be the cheaper way to go, but for a reliable setup you want to drive daily and make 500+ hp procharger is a better choice IMO.
Turbos are free horsepower, heat is solved with e85 a intercooler and or meth, turbos have no belt slip, and not only one company can rebuild a turbo if your procharger fails you have to send it to procharger and be prepared to pay.

Best advice find some guys in your area with both setups ask for a ride and make your decision.
Also if you just google ls1 turbo vs procharger you will get more info than you can process.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbo vs. Procharger is like Lion vs. Tiger or Camaro vs. Firebird. There's no clear cut answer of which is better. You have to determine what your questions are first, to determine which is better FOR YOU.

Turbos have some issues with fitment/placement, some kits require you to move and remove some items. Turbos require some fabrication skill, or have someone local who can fabricate things for you. Positives is that turbos themselves are less expensive up front, and pound for pound make more torque than a procharger since they make max boost earlier than prochargers.

Prochargers are relatively simple to install. You can keep any exhaust mods you've already done. Belt slip issues have been fixed with a good quality bracket/tensioner setup (8rib). A positive to the gradual boost is it's easier on your driveline since you're not shocking it with instant high psi boost at low rpms. It's a linear boost curve so power goes up as traction increases. Down side is that a Procharger head unit is more expensive than a turbo. Positive side is that the small to medium head units pop up for sale quite often and you're able to contact Procharger to find out the history of the blower.

Again, figure out what matters to you, then see which fits your criteria better.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
What cam are you running? That sounds MEANN!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
Turbos are free horsepower, heat is solved with e85 a intercooler and or meth, turbos have no belt slip, and not only one company can rebuild a turbo if your procharger fails you have to send it to procharger and be prepared to pay.

Best advice find some guys in your area with both setups ask for a ride and make your decision.
Also if you just google ls1 turbo vs procharger you will get more info than you can process.
Yes, but most people don't like to run e85 or just don't have e85 anywhere close. I know I don't and I would never run e85. If you ever go on a trip it would be a huge PITA looking for e85.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Its all a matter of preference. I have always loved and wanted a Procharger so I bought one. I want to get another fbody to add to the garage but it will be twin turbo cause i'm not a fan of big singles.
Thats what i did, went with twins. i came from a D1, i liked the procharger a lot, but i wanted a lot more torque and not such a linear power band....

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Sound wise, i dont think there is a better sound than a big cammed pro charged car! Turbos sound cool to but if your going off of sound procharger wins all day,turbo sounds good i just prefer the loud whistle lol,almost reminds me of old school gear drive cars lol
Turbo cars have nice lopes to them to. you cant hear the turbos at idle, but u sure as hell can when ur on it. Only time you could hear my procharger was at idle and just kinda cruising going through the gears. when i got on it, you cant hear it over the exhaust. which made me sad.

imo. Procharger is a great bolt on and go power adder. But if you want the best power for the $$ , turbo hands down. They make better under the curve power/torque. and you can be at full boost waaaaaaaaay before redline unlike a procharger. i stepped up to twins for my street car build from a D1, i skipped the single lol. Im not worried about the heat either. All my tubing will be ceramic coated and ill have a set of turbo blankets. Oil changes are gonna suck though...... every 600 miles or so...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, but most people don't like to run e85 or just don't have e85 anywhere close. I know I don't and I would never run e85. If you ever go on a trip it would be a huge PITA looking for e85.
thats y a lot of guys run a meth kit.. and u only use meth when you get into boost. between ceramic coating, heat wrap, turbo blankets and meth. I wouldnt be worried about the heat too much.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a procharger on my car and I liked it alot!! But I wanted to be able to make power up to say 750-800hp at the turn of a **** or Filp of a switch. With the procharger you couldn't do that not to mention I only had a P1sc-1 headunit. (I was between 550-600rwhp if i had to guess) for me to get to my goals i was gonna néed an F1A. (it could be done with a D1) the price of an F1 was up there so I deiced to bag the procharger and go turbo. For the price of the F1a headunit I brought my new complete turbo kit with a brand-new PT7675 for less then a brand new F1 headunit. Plus my turbo is rated for 1100hp. I've never had a turbo car before so this is new scence for me but it will be done soon so I'll let u know how I make out. If you want to make big hp and dont mind some fab work go turbo. If you wanna build a 500-600 hp car over the weekend go procharger. hopefully this helps you
Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Procharger is easier on drivtrain also right? It's more like an N/A setup... You don't get the big hit of torque all at once, it comes in gradually like the motor does n/a
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** the drivetrain thats always fixable. that big hit of torque when it sucks you back in your seat is probably the best feeling in the world.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by T76s10
**** the drivetrain thats always fixable. that big hit of torque when it sucks you back in your seat is probably the best feeling in the world.
It sucks when it just blows the tires off in a cloud of smoke. Sure, if you can hook, it's great, but if not, it's just wasted spinning.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I love factory turbo combinations, the oem's spend a fortune in R&D to make sure the reliability is built in, as turbo combinations go through extreme heat cycles. I very seldom hear of a factory type turbo having an oil problem. My Dodge diesel has 190,000 miles on it, it has never had a turbo related problem. My old Dodge turbo K car had close to 200,000 miles on it before it was involved in a wreck, it never had any problems.

Aftermarket turbo companies simply can't afford to spend much money in R&D. Will they guarantee the turbo mounts won't eventually crack, or that the turbos won't fail?

ProCharger has a one year warranty on their head units and systems. I have sold their systems since 2002, and I have had very few problems with their durability.
Check out this link. http://www.procharger.com/supercharger/blog/?p=97 Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I agree with Bob about the reliability of a Procharger setup. Honestly, do a once a year oil swap, keep an eye on the belt, replace it once a year, and you're good to go. Also, with a D1SC, FMIC, good inlet, you're looking at bolting on a solid 250-350 rwhp hp in a weekend. So take your solid heads/cam setup with exhaust, bolt on the Procharger, and you can go from 400rwhp to 700rwhp (not safe for stock short blocks lol) in a weekend and not have to worry about exhaust leaks or any of the little problems with turbos.

Are turbos more efficient, yes. Are they cheaper, yes. Can they make more power, maybe, depends on how big of a turbo or blower you run. But are they as easy and reliable as a blower, no.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

I like the on the fly adjustability of power with a turbo. With a procharged car whatever it makes with x-pulley is what it makes all.the time. You can add an eboost2 to a turbo set up an adjust the power according to.what your doing. U can also program boost per gear. I agree, procharger is way more reliable and easiar to do. But i think a turbo car is more fun. And the almost instant torque/boost is nice as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Here's 2 short vids of my procharger.
Just a short pull to hear the diffirence.
First video should be with the cutout closed, u can really hear the charger wine with the cutout closed. The next video is with the cutout open.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Procharger is easier on drivtrain also right? It's more like an N/A setup... You don't get the big hit of torque all at once, it comes in gradually like the motor does n/a
They both have there ups and downs you saying turbo is harder on drivetrain is like me saying a procharger is harder on the crank. Except the fact a turbo is harder drivetrain wise because of the gobbs of power but the procharger is harder on the crank cause it needs it to turn it while in the process robbing power.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allout06
I like the on the fly adjustability of power with a turbo. With a procharged car whatever it makes with x-pulley is what it makes all.the time. You can add an eboost2 to a turbo set up an adjust the power according to.what your doing. U can also program boost per gear. I agree, procharger is way more reliable and easiar to do. But i think a turbo car is more fun. And the almost instant torque/boost is nice as well.
I will run eboost2 on my ProCharger now that the myth is over
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Twin turbo.. Because boost for boost super chargers can't hang. We don't have to swap pulleys when we want to make power.. Just push of a button will do, what's this turbo lag you speak of? We have a ls engine not a alphabet jap engine. Besides turbos are easy to rebuild and cheap compared to say a procharger rebuild price. I seen a few root supercharges make power at 8psi that a typical h/c ls would make.. Shame I tell you
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...13771788DF.mp4
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svg210
This is the vid that made me go turbo. I lile the fact that dave had the courtesy of turning down the music whenever he'd get on the throttlet. Other videos with loud obnoxious music are terrible. Car sound ftw!!!
Glad you liked it
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Both have pros and cons... I personally love the power band of a turbo setup. Until you setup a blower car where its pullied down quite a bit to bring the blower in sooner and recover better after shifts, they feel pretty lame from 3000-4500, and then from 4500 on up, they feel good and get progressively stronger with RPMs...

When I had the D1 on a my stock LS6 motor, it made 10 psi at peak, it was 622 rwhp, and honestly I wasnt real happy with it. It would pull great in the upper rpms but as soon as it started to feel good, I'd shift and the rpms/boost dropped to 6 psi and it was lame again... I mean the car was fast and pretty much useless under 50 mph but it still was just not that impressive.(high 10s@131)

In my experience, at lower HP levels, turbos just feel much stronger and much better power under the curve. Not to mention the part throttle boost/acceleration that you get with a turbo as it is load based and not rpm based. A blower does NOTHING for you until you are over half throttle and 4000 rpms..

BUT, once you get into the big blowers and get them pullied down, they come in quick and hard and make stupid/useless power... at this point though, with all the supporting mods for a big blower, 8-10 rib drives etc etc... I think turbos are way more cost effective, not to mention the ability to control boost.... I could have easily bought a $13k TTiX kit for what I have in my custom F1R setup and had MORE power potential and better control. Especially once you factor in the costs of full exhaust for Vettes..($2000-2500 easy)

So in a nut shell from my opinion, on anything other then a Corvette, I'd go turbo....... On a Vette, the packaging is just so much harder, a blower is an easy bolt on and go... With that being said, I still would prefer a turbo setup on my Vette but was too deep into the blower stuff to turn back. Now I have so much useless power, I really can't even play with the car on the street unless I'm in 4th on 28" Racemasters.... Its really not that fun....unless you like 70-80 mph rolling burn outs on drag radials and trying to keep it off the walls....

If you are just wanting to make a quick and easy 550-600 rwhp, a centrifugal blower is hard to beat, especially if you can find a used kit but for more power then that, turbos are really the better way to go...

Quick Reply: Turbo Vs. Procharger