Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am in this boat of turbo vs D1SC and this thread didnt help me at all I was pro blower till now I am thinking about a turbo but I street race "every now and again" and feel like the blower will better suite my needs. forged 6.0 with a D1 4l80E. Not sure if I should go with a turbo setup instead now. Any insight? (not trying to jack the thread I just know I am not the only one in my position)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitro i would spend alot of time reading some of the turbo vs sc threads,i love prochargers,cost more, but imo if your looking for a fun street car ya cant go wrong,what are your goals for power?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
So I am in this boat of turbo vs D1SC and this thread didnt help me at all I was pro blower till now I am thinking about a turbo but I street race "every chance i get" and feel like the blower will better suite my needs. forged 6.0 with a D1 4l80E. Not sure if I should go with a turbo setup instead now. Any insight? (not trying to jack the thread I just know I am not the only one in my position)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had both last year! I ditched the procharger (FIA) and went turbo. I only had the procharger for about 8 months or so. The throttle response and smooth boost is great with the procharger but you can achieve that with the right sized twins! I love my GT91!!!! Seems like it pulls so much harder!! Its FREEEEEEE HORSEPOWER!... Procharger uses power to make power! I had stupid belt issues that sealed the deal on ditching the F1...... But it really boils down to preference. My videos are on youtube.... Search Xoutlawz08.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
It sucks when it just blows the tires off in a cloud of smoke. Sure, if you can hook, it's great, but if not, it's just wasted spinning.
any car making real power will spin on the street weather or not the vehicle is tubbed or it has drag radials. the track is the only logical place to hook up right.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by js2fst
I will run eboost2 on my ProCharger now that the myth is over

Ya ive seen it done. I believe GMHTM did it on a 5th gen and had decent results. But, its still not as adjustable as a turbo would be. You still won't have max boost until redline with a procharger.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by T76s10
any car making real power will spin on the street weather or not the vehicle is tubbed or it has drag radials. the track is the only logical place to hook up right.
O really?!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

^^^ this is funny bc I thought of this exact spot when I read t76s10 post.
I live about 45 min from this spot and been out there and hand full of times. Hooks great when its prepped ..
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ20...-Speed-Kit.htm

With the Aster bracket, which is an option in the above link, belt slippage will not be a problem. The above kit included everything that is needed, except for spark plugs and a tune. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just FYI, I had no issues with either one of my Procharger setups once I got the right components..(aka, good brackets and tensioners, not ATI's junk).

My D1 was very reliable and I never had any issues with belts or the head unit...although I didn't daily drive it, I easily could have.

Now on my F1r setup, it has also been very reliable thus far, about 2k miles, 10 Dyno pulls and quite a few hwy hits and I'm still on the first belt, and it looks great. I'm spinning the F1r over 68k.. (23 psi), no detectable belt slip. It did take some GOOD components and mods to get it here though.

I do think centrifugal setups are more reliable for daily driving then some of the turbo setup.. No drain back or scavenge pump issues, no causin of engine oil pressure issues...No constant turbo failures and rebuilds, no boost creep or back pressure issues...

Just bolt on and go. Like I mentioned before, pros and cons to both turbos or centrifugals.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

The procharger is definitely the more economical choice and they are totally a better choice for a street driven hot rod since the power is instantaneous where as a turbo has to spool up in order to build pressure. Also, turbos are a plumbing nightmare: custom fabricated headers, plumbing to and from the turbine, plumbing to and from the compressor, waste gate and a blow off valve. Turbo's are not for the recreational beginner. Unless you mean business, don't go there. Prochargers on the other hand are very user friendly and economical.

Also, turbo's are not free power adders. They are also parasitic just like a supercharger, just not as bad because they are not directly coupled. I have seen pressures build to over 60 psi on the turbine side of racing turbos! This is pressure directly opposing piston travel on the exhaust stroke, so it is not free energy.

Finally, even if you are talented enough to fabricate your own headers and plumbing, the procharger would still be cheaper to do even if you don't count your labor as an expense. Don't kid yourself guys. Come on.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Don't bust my ***** guys about the above comment made by my buddy. He's getting his procharger installed at the beginning of the year by a good friend of mine. Those are his opinions not mine!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 91mmturbo
The procharger is definitely the more economical choice and they are totally a better choice for a street driven hot rod since the power is instantaneous where as a turbo has to spool up in order to build pressure. Also, turbos are a plumbing nightmare: custom fabricated headers, plumbing to and from the turbine, plumbing to and from the compressor, waste gate and a blow off valve. Turbo's are not for the recreational beginner. Unless you mean business, don't go there. Prochargers on the other hand are very user friendly and economical.

Also, turbo's are not free power adders. They are also parasitic just like a supercharger, just not as bad because they are not directly coupled. I have seen pressures build to over 60 psi on the turbine side of racing turbos! This is pressure directly opposing piston travel on the exhaust stroke, so it is not free energy.

Finally, even if you are talented enough to fabricate your own headers and plumbing, the procharger would still be cheaper to do even if you don't count your labor as an expense. Don't kid yourself guys. Come on.
Originally Posted by 91mmturbo
Don't bust my ***** guys about the above comment made by my buddy. He's getting his procharger installed at the beginning of the year by a good friend of mine. Those are his opinions not mine!
Why does he have the password to your account?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
^^^^I was thinking the same thing

That's our spot we call "The Pad". We have it prepped better than any track.

Here's another vid. Car on the right has a 26x10 slicks no tubs. Car on the left has 28x10 slicks no tubs. Fast forward to 2:20 for the race.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

@silverbullet,
because he's sitting here with me reading a lot of the posts. He asked to write something, it's not like he has the password to my bank accounts bro. Relax
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it'll hook if its "prepped" or if its got 200lbs in the trunk lol. I'm not talking about street racing at one spot in particular because around here there isn't 1 place that hooks like a track. And if you run into someone while cruising you end up racing right then and there in which you wouldn't hook either. My point is weather your car is making good power NA or not, its not going to hook as if you were at a track and everyone i drive with don't hook for **** on streets around here.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by T76s10
Yeah it'll hook if its "prepped" or if its got 200lbs in the trunk lol. I'm not talking about street racing at one spot in particular because around here there isn't 1 place that hooks like a track. And if you run into someone while cruising you end up racing right then and there in which you wouldn't hook either. My point is weather your car is making good power NA or not, its not going to hook as if you were at a track and everyone i drive with don't hook for **** on streets around here.
I hooked almost 600rwhp on nitto nt01s on the street well enough to dig race. And they would dead hook at 40mph. Driver mod activated. Lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I went procharger back in '04 and have stayed with it predominantly because of the reliability and throttle response.

I like the fact that I can mash the gas and get an instantaneous kick (like flipping a nitrous switch).

As a tuner I'm in some form of a turbo car every other weekend. They usually make great power, but you always have to wait a smidge for the turbo to spool. Once spooled, they pull harder, but I still like having that initial throttle response of the blower. It 'feels' faster for me and I think it is more fun to drive.

If I ever decide to make more power I may go turbo, but for 600-800 RWHP street cars I think a cent-blower is the best compromise.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Sounds sexyyy!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Inspector12
heres another one of yours, this video inspired me to get an f series procharger.

Quick Reply: Turbo Vs. Procharger