Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that was a pretty good run considering how heavy that truck is with just a turbo kit and nothing else.

Now if it was against a 4th gen 3.8l then that would be a problem.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I think that was a pretty good run considering how heavy that truck is with just a turbo kit and nothing else.

Now if it was against a 4th gen 3.8l then that would be a problem.
Thanks man.
It doesnt run bad at all, it isnt something to be "proud" but truck is getting done slowly on a budget. 5.3 with stock stall, stock gears, bonestock 4l80e with no shift kit or anything, 20" wheels with tractor tires and 3 passengers on board. Just a lil demontration how the snail sounds.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
I love how turbos are not reliable even though they are the choice of FI for oem apps
Every time a comparison is made, people say a turbo is so much cheaper than a Procharger head unit, but I say it's only cheaper because people buy the cheap turbos. A quality turbo that can make 800rwhp on a stock cube motor and is OEM reliable is going to cost how much money??? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it's the $500 ebay turbo's every one uses as an arguement of turbo vs. supercharger.

Originally Posted by allout06
Ill have 5k in my twin setup with a boost controller and dual BOVs....still 2k cheaper than a procharger...
I only have $3200 in my D1SC setup which is good for ~800+ at the wheels. Granted, I didn't buy my head unit new, but it was newly freshened at Procharger and I saved ~$500, so lets say I have $3700 in it if I had gotten a new D1SC from Bob. Sure, single blower vs. dual turbos, but putting together a D1SC setup anymore is pretty reasonable.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Every time a comparison is made, people say a turbo is so much cheaper than a Procharger head unit, but I say it's only cheaper because people buy the cheap turbos. A quality turbo that can make 800rwhp on a stock cube motor and is OEM reliable is going to cost how much money??? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it's the $500 ebay turbo's every one uses as an arguement of turbo vs. supercharger.

I only have $3200 in my D1SC setup which is good for ~800+ at the wheels. Granted, I didn't buy my head unit new, but it was newly freshened at Procharger and I saved ~$500, so lets say I have $3700 in it if I had gotten a new D1SC from Bob. Sure, single blower vs. dual turbos, but putting together a D1SC setup anymore is pretty reasonable.
I agree. People comparing the cost's are comparing people who piece together turbo's vs New procharger kits. I should have about $3500 total in my procharger kit when I'm done. And I could have been in it much cheaper if I wasn't buying a big red bypass and a D1sc. If I would have went with a 6-rib and a p1sc I could probably be in it about $2500.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I think a fair comparison is Comp's new oilless turbos. I heard they go for roughly $2400.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I would never touch the ebay crap, so dont think i am advocating that

You can get a brand new borg warner s475 with a 96mm turbine for 700-750

That is a turbo right at home and happy at 800whp on our cubes

And some of the best quality you can buy, oem quality
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed it is not a huge difference in cost everyone is seeing Jy combos killing on the strip and street racing.

I say lets take your turbo set autocross road coarse and standing mile runs then we go 1/8 mile and quarter mile same weekend no trailers. And see how these cars hold up. Maybe a sugar hills run or silver cup classic. I think that would seperated the cars.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Price comparison between the two really depends on quality of the parts, you can always find cheap turbo kits on ebay but dont expect too much durability from them at all. Theres alot of people that have luck with them but they wont see high HP numbers.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Price comparison between the two really depends on quality of the parts, you can always find cheap turbo kits on ebay but dont expect too much durability from them at all. Theres alot of people that have luck with them but they wont see high HP numbers.
Ebay turbos have been proven to make over 1000hp lol. If that's not high then idk what is. I'm going to push my cx racing turbos and $50 waste gates into the 9's this year. On3 along with other Chinese companies have proven their turbos to be surprisingly descent. May not utilize the latest comp/turbine wheels and most efficient parts but they do work and they do last.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM
8 Second Club

Omg so many newbs on both sides

Anyone advocating using 50$ wastegates to others because they are proven should shut it

No wonder the blower guys think alot of the turbo guys are retarded, because i do too

There are so many half assed unreliable turbo builds on this forum it is no wonder people think they are unreliable

Build a system with good components, and care given to things like crankcase breathing, drains/feed, plumbing layout, adequate bypass capacity, ect. and it will run day in and day out problem free

Last edited by rotary1307cc; 01-19-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Anyone advocating using 50$ wastegates to others because they are proven should shut it

No wonder the blower guys think alot of the turbo guys are retarded, because i do too

There are so many half assed unreliable turbo builds on this forum it is no wonder people think they are unreliable

Build a system with good components, and care given to things like crankcase breathing, drains/feed, plumbing layout, adequate bypass capacity, ect. and it will run day in and day out problem free
I agree 100% with what you're saying, and it goes along with I've said. For a turbo kit like you're talking about, it's going to cost you more than $2500 if you want reliability, and it's also going to take mechanical skill and troubleshooting skills.

Procharger builds are relatively simple in design and implementation, that's all. A lot of the 'bugs' have been worked out and there's countless builds on here with people making upwards of 600-800rwhp for less than $4500 (minus the shortblock and fuel stuff).

Fact is, FI shouldn't be done by a novice on their own. But when you see a turbo kit go for $2500, it's so tempting, then you see threads about failures.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM
8 Second Club

/thread
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

who the **** said i have a half *** turbo system? a wastegate is a god damn wastegate. its the people like you who assume anyone using ebay stuff automatically has a **** setup. your posting on this forum about "newbs" just because people dont buy the name brand stuff thats supposed to be the best? sorry but i dont see the point in buying expensive things such as wastegates when mine will work exactly like your name brand ****. my setup is not unreliable and it does have proper drains/feed, plumbing layout, etc. i made a point that another member posted saying that ebay turbos wont make that much hp when that is obviously wrong. i did not once say that ebay turbos are the best and i even mentioned that but i dont have tons of money to blow so if that means using cheaper stuff thats proven so be it.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you fi is not cheap sometimes I wish I would have done the 370 instead of a 408 the cost of my build would have been less now I want a f1-x but if I had a 370 no way. More fuel means more pump, fuel line. regulator.
Everyone says it is just a crank it is much more but a convertible f body you have the extra weight of the ProCharger and fmic and turning we did a iron block and meth kit is in front. I recommend a light k member and a arms and adjustable shocks and then move battery to back to make it ride better. The kits seem cheap to start. Add a good trans alot of people just throw a turbo 350 or 400 or a powerglide because of cost and easy. and you need a good rear end
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by T76s10
who the **** said i have a half *** turbo system? a wastegate is a god damn wastegate. its the people like you who assume anyone using ebay stuff automatically has a **** setup. your posting on this forum about "newbs" just because people dont buy the name brand stuff thats supposed to be the best? sorry but i dont see the point in buying expensive things such as wastegates when mine will work exactly like your name brand ****. my setup is not unreliable and it does have proper drains/feed, plumbing layout, etc. i made a point that another member posted saying that ebay turbos wont make that much hp when that is obviously wrong. i did not once say that ebay turbos are the best and i even mentioned that but i dont have tons of money to blow so if that means using cheaper stuff thats proven so be it.

Its alright that you dont have a clue about what you are talking about, please just don't confuse others

A wastegate is a wastegate?? Man that statement provides us all with your intelligence on the subject
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its alright that you dont have a clue about what you are talking about, please just don't confuse others

A wastegate is a wastegate?? Man that statement provides us all with your intelligence on the subject
Sometimes the part that costs the most money is not the best part.

There is a gate on ebay, I can't remember the name, but if you take it apart it has the same internals as a Tial and its only $100 bucks. So in essence you are paying for the name.

Also there are countless guys on here who are running cheap Master Power turbos and have been running them for 3 or 4 years with no issues. Rob@Modularturbo was selling them and he don't sell no junk.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please explain why i don't have a clue what I'm talking about? Lol. It doesn't take a genius to know how an actuator works, their used in many different applications besides cars and all work the exact same way. Emusa wastegates have been taken apart and valve guides checked and have been used with great results over and over again so please explain why I'm a "newb". You come on here insulting people with no explanation to support your argument.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM
8 Second Club

Oh my idiots

Metallurgy, heard of it?

Dur this piston looks like that piston surely they are the same
Old 01-19-2013, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're coming off as a big douche^ "I know everything and everyone else on tech is stupid" < Your thoughts=douche
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
You're coming off as a big douche^ "I know everything and everyone else on tech is stupid" < Your thoughts=douche
But he knows so much more than everyone else so he doesn't have to explain himself or his posts.

Quick Reply: Turbo Vs. Procharger