Rear mount as home made as it gets-image-1167007322.jpg

Rear mount as home made as it gets-image-802171241.jpg

Rear mount as home made as it gets-image-2281449557.jpg

Rear mount as home made as it gets-image-2181837889.jpg

Rear mount as home made as it gets-image-245939921.jpg
Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which cx racing turbo did you get? Can you post a link?
Thnx!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Ceramic-Ball-Bearing-T76-0-96-A-R-P-Trim-Turbo-Charger-T4-Oil-Water-/290692193536?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ae9add00&vxp=mtr#ht_6731wt_784
This is the exact turbo I have. For my cam and compression setup I probabaly would have gone with the ar 80 instead of the 96. Mine does not make full boost till around 5500. If I would have went with the 80 I probably would have had a flatter curve and boost come on a lot earlier. But this turbo is much nicer quality than the on3 I previously had, and it has more whistle to it for a lil extra bonus. Being a ball bearing you can tell how much easier it spins compared to a float bearing when it keeps spinning about 20 seconds after I shut it down.

Can't wait to get it back on the road, and get the twin front mount started if I could ever get the money together to put a rear end back under it.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by fireburr
Cxracing Ceramic Ball Bearing T76 0 96 A R P Trim Turbo Charger T4 Oil Water | eBay

This is the exact turbo I have. For my cam and compression setup I probabaly would have gone with the ar 80 instead of the 96. Mine does not make full boost till around 5500. If I would have went with the 80 I probably would have had a flatter curve and boost come on a lot earlier. But this turbo is much nicer quality than the on3 I previously had, and it has more whistle to it for a lil extra bonus. Being a ball bearing you can tell how much easier it spins compared to a float bearing when it keeps spinning about 20 seconds after I shut it down.

Can't wait to get it back on the road, and get the twin front mount started if I could ever get the money together to put a rear end back under it.
I'd like to see a remote mount where someone didn't use such large hotside piping. I'd bet 2" exh. piping would spool that turbo alot sooner. Just a guess though from what all the guys are seeing by dropping the merge pipe sizing down. From what I've read 2" piping doesn't become a restriction until around 1000hp. I'm sure it would support less with the added length of a remote system, but I don't think your anywhere near the limits of 2".
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'd like to try 2" if it wasn't going to be a restriction. The 2.5" piping I pretty much already had so that's what I used. If I wasn't saving the money to replace my rear end I would probably try it before I go twins.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Nice! Yeah, I was running consistent 12.40 last year @119 with my setup. Late last year I changed my hotside down to a 2" from the stock y-pipe back to the turbo. Feels like it spools a little faster, but then again I also found a tear in my coupler leading into my intercooler that was the size of a dime. I'm sure that wasn't helping things.

We should be doing our first Midnight Mayhem race of the season in 2 weeks.

That CX Racing turbo you posted the link of looks like a nice compact unit. How big is it compared to your ON3 unit?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Nice! Yeah, I was running consistent 12.40 last year @119 with my setup. Late last year I changed my hotside down to a 2" from the stock y-pipe back to the turbo. Feels like it spools a little faster, but then again I also found a tear in my coupler leading into my intercooler that was the size of a dime. I'm sure that wasn't helping things. We should be doing our first Midnight Mayhem race of the season in 2 weeks. That CX Racing turbo you posted the link of looks like a nice compact unit. How big is it compared to your ON3 unit?
What hp are you making? I know my piping isn't the most efficient. I even have one of those clam shell sleeves on the hot side connecting a couple of pipes. I got my best run of 12.18 @ 119 with a 1.96 60' before my rear end broke. The turbos are just about the exact same size. I'd like to know how yours runs on the next pass.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone else think this is low numbers for a 383 ls1 with a t76 @13 psi a bone stock 5.3 with same turbo and boost would produce these numbers or better not including the cam specs...I fill like with a 383 and those cam specs with that turbo and boost should be more around 600-650

Just the motor I would think with that compression would be 400-425 hp with a nice amount of torque and let's say its close to perfect world t76 @14.7 psi would be close to 800hp...how much does car weigh and I'm sorry if I missed the Trans setup but what is it
Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

yep, the SLP 2.5" ypipe does pretty good and its a 2.5" outer diameter so it probably a tad smaller. Wrapped, it spools a lot better.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice clearance. Id prefer the single FMIC but those procharger setups look pretty good too. Id venture that you are not lowered lol I run mine in the rocker panel. no pipes under the car other then the first pipe out of the turbo
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cory32690
Does anyone else think this is low numbers for a 383 ls1 with a t76 @13 psi a bone stock 5.3 with same turbo and boost would produce these numbers or better not including the cam specs...I fill like with a 383 and those cam specs with that turbo and boost should be more around 600-650 Just the motor I would think with that compression would be 400-425 hp with a nice amount of torque and let's say its close to perfect world t76 @14.7 psi would be close to 800hp...how much does car weigh and I'm sorry if I missed the Trans setup but what is it
Those numbers would be nice to have. I would say a front mount would compliment the cam a lil better. This cam wasn't really chosen for a rear mount setup, the rear mount was just an after thought on a budget. It could be a lot more efficient and a smaller exhaust housing would probably help a lot too. I'll be shooting for 800 hp when I switch to front mount, which shouldn't be too difficult. We will see what happens when I get some complimenting components.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ya it's not lowered. I plan on lowering it at least an inch after I change setup. You ever get yours dynoed Josh?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fireburr
What hp are you making? I know my piping isn't the most efficient. I even have one of those clam shell sleeves on the hot side connecting a couple of pipes. I got my best run of 12.18 @ 119 with a 1.96 60' before my rear end broke. The turbos are just about the exact same size. I'd like to know how yours runs on the next pass.
I put down 490hp/550tq to the tires last year @ 9psi. (I was 297 rwhp when it was all stock, so that kinda matches up with the only change to the motor being the LS9 Cam). Of course this was before I discovered my boost leaks. I rigged up a boost leak detector and checked both hot and cold sides. Found leaks on both. After getting the hotside leaks fixed, it spooled so much better. I would recommend getting rid of the clam shell sleeves on your hotside and put in proper flanges. It will help you A LOT!

I personally believe that leaks on the hotside (even the smallest) is one of the many reasons people have low rwhp numbers on rear mount setups. It's pretty easy to have a leak free system on a front mount setup because there's so little piping. When you throw 2-3 flanges flanges between the exhaust manifold and the turbo it gives you 2-3 more opportunities to lose pressure. This is the kind of stuff that gives rear-mounts the stigma of less hp compared to front mount setups, when in actuality, if the system was properly designed and maintained like a front mount, it could put down nearly the same numbers. For spool issues, we need to have smaller (2") crossover piping to maintain pressure and heat (less surface area for heat loss). I would wager that if you replaced your piping with 2" all the way to the turbo, it would be more responsive, regardless of the A/R. It cost me $125 for a local muffler shop to replace my piping to the turbo. It was well worth it. Hmmm...I should take my .96 housing off and try my .81 housing again... someday...
Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cory32690
Does anyone else think this is low numbers for a 383 ls1 with a t76 @13 psi a bone stock 5.3 with same turbo and boost would produce these numbers or better not including the cam specs...I fill like with a 383 and those cam specs with that turbo and boost should be more around 600-650

Just the motor I would think with that compression would be 400-425 hp with a nice amount of torque and let's say its close to perfect world t76 @14.7 psi would be close to 800hp...how much does car weigh and I'm sorry if I missed the Trans setup but what is it
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I would wager that there are a few leaks in the hotside/coldside that are contributing to the low numbers. I have a friend with a 383 cam/heads and he's putting down 440 rwhp NA. Heads help alot though on the NA cars.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

I wanna no how much power did the motor make NA that will tell a lot about a leak or not.and I get the heads help a lot on NA but if I built a forged and stroked ls1 i would be thinking something is wrong with he motor..or blowing thru the converter or something to hurt dyno numbers but from his 120mph trap matches his numbers 500hp hes making on that much boost on any ls1 motor i would think you would be 125-130mph especially a 383 with turbo i would think that much boost and size motor would be 130+ easy...good luck with the setup though keep at it
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

The only base dyno the engine had was when the first wastegate was letting all the exhaust through and it couldn't make any boost it pulled a 292 sucking air through the turbo from all the way in the back, other than that the rest of the dynos were with boost. I know there are a few leaks I need to address. I also plan on weighing the car when I get it rolling again, I'm betting it weighs around 4k with the sucky 60'
Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Something just doesn't add up. Even with dropped compression to 9:1, I would expect that to be doing 375 rwhp NA. Same NA rwhp as a stock LS1. Weird.

I like your video. Good to see another drop top out there on the track.

Here's mine from early last year. This was against a 2002 SS Camaro with Long Tubes and cutout. Also before I found the boost leaks, so I was maxing at like 6psi. Ran a 13.1 vs his 13.8. The DA here in Vegas sucks. My car's best was 14.3 (stock + Yank SS3200 converter) before the turbo.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Something just doesn't add up. Even with dropped compression to 9:1, I would expect that to be doing 375 rwhp NA. Same NA rwhp as a stock LS1. Weird. I like your video. Good to see another drop top out there on the track. Here's mine from early last year. This was against a 2002 SS Camaro with Long Tubes and cutout. Also before I found the boost leaks, so I was maxing at like 6psi. Ran a 13.1 vs his 13.8. The DA here in Vegas sucks. My car's best was 14.3 (stock + Yank SS3200 converter) before the turbo. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlnZH1RuS6E
Well that 292 was the very first dyno so he had the timing pulled and kinda rich plus it had to suck the air from the rear. Ya with just an ls6 cam, ls1 intake and heads on the previous stock engine it made 320 whp and ran a 13.2@102 with a 1.97 60'. Car looks nice, I want to get some good videos of it running when I get it moving good. I've got more plans than I have money.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Just out of curiosity who installed the cam
Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Eagle machine out of buffalo, mo. I know I should have had a custom one made but I was already squeezing out the money for the engine since I was in college. I can do a cam swap myself so that will be in the works when I do the new setup.

Quick Reply: Rear mount as home made as it gets