Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS3 blower and turbo cams are here

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LS3 blower and turbo cams are here

Well, I've been saying it forever now and we've finally added them to the site! If you guys have any questions about which cam would work best for your vehicle and specific combination feel free to ask here in this thread, PM me, email me or give us a call at the shop! With the success and HUGE popularity of the cathedral port cams I think these will be just as big a hit!

These are more slated for a positive displacement blower engine. I have other cams specifically for LS3/LS7 style heads with centrifugal blowers:

Stage 1 blower:
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...3-l99-engines/

Stage 2 blower:

Even those these say "LS3 turbo cams" I use them in everything from cathedral port to rectangle port heads. It's usually best to just contact me and let me guide you to the best profile for your combination.

Stage 1 turbo:

Stage 2 turbo:

Stage 3 turbo:

For those that have a unique combination of parts that truly need a custom grind there is always that. I've tried to cover as many combinations as possible to where an Elite Series cam will fit into just about everyone's needs, but there are always some that will need a custom cam.

Custom:
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...l-lsx-engines/

For those guys with VVT and AFM here are our delete packages:

VVT Delete:
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls-engines/

AFM delete:
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls-engines/
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Could maybe be tempted by the stage 2 blower, even though I'm cathedral.

I'd want a very smooth idle though. So it might be a bit too much ?

GT9 at present is super smooth and it's great. The lift just is a concern in the back of my mind.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Could maybe be tempted by the stage 2 blower, even though I'm cathedral.

I'd want a very smooth idle though. So it might be a bit too much ?

GT9 at present is super smooth and it's great. The lift just is a concern in the back of my mind.
Not at all. It has a mere 1 degree of overlap @.050" and 52 degrees@.006" which is miniscule, but the events that the camshaft has makes it act like a much larger cam. This is why they work so well with positive displacement blowers.

I like more overlap with a centrifugal blower set-up as they are usually sized in such a manner that the added overlap actually helps power production and not hurt it. With the positive displacement stuff, I like to stretch the events out longer while keeping overlap to a minimum. It really helps shift all that massive low end torque up top where they like to run out of steam. Obviously the blower still dictates where it will run out of steam, but the longer cam events help keep it pulling just a little bit longer. With the added exhaust duration you gain peak power from taking power at peak torque that you had plenty to give, and sharing it with the higher rpm regions.

All that said, I have a better cam for your set-up:

234/250 .60x"/.59x" 116+4

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 02-01-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

I'm sure that would make great power....

But I dont think it will meet by smooth idle criteria, and it would struggle to meet the emissions testing I have to do every year. Two of the reasons I opted for the GT9, as it was safe in both respects...even if it does have very aggressive lobes.

The stage2 above seems it would be somewhere in the middle though
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

Yes it would be right in the middle, I would just be afraid that it would take a lot of low-end away from your power band, but you do have a 4" stroke engine which isn't hurting for torque much and with a YSi and your MPH you're making pretty big steam already.

The Stage 2 uses very stable lobes which are semi-aggressive, but great for boost.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Yes it would be right in the middle, I would just be afraid that it would take a lot of low-end away from your power band, but you do have a 4" stroke engine which isn't hurting for torque much and with a YSi and your MPH you're making pretty big steam already.

The Stage 2 uses very stable lobes which are semi-aggressive, but great for boost.
I downsized last year to a 3.825" crank. That and the GT9 were also to reduce low end torque.

Im very traction limited so really do not need any more torque. Anywhere local I can race is just an airfield, so cant even get a sub 2s 60ft, and usually leaves black lines for most of the track.

My fast times are from a proper strip, although even that was 4-5 years ago, and was with the 4"

If anything though...with the current 3.825" LS2 and GT9 etc....it's probably performing better than it ever has.
But I know the lobes are aggressive, and I know a slightly bigger cam would see gains. But achieving those with my idle/emissions criteria dont always go hand in hand.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

Well if you're not after a lot of low end because of your traction issues, then I think you would see a benefit from a larger cam with extended exhaust duration, a wide LSA and more stable lobe profiles. You'd be able to turn the engine harder, to a higher rpm without chance of valve float and make more power up top where you need it.

This is why I like to discuss with guys about their set-ups before just jumping into a camshaft because it worked well for someone else.

I just saw your PM Steve, I'll get to it soon.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idle clips of stg 1 blower cam?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

I know the specs aren't the same, but the overlap which dictates idle quality is nearly identical.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Can you explain the differences between Standard or the Milder Lobes.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by westTEX26
Can you explain the differences between Standard or the Milder Lobes.
The standard lobes are strictly intended for ls3 cylinder heads that are running the lighter weight hollow stem intake valve which is much lighter than the solid stem intake valve that L92, L76, L99, LY6 and most aftermarket cylinder heads have. The milder lobes are intended for those heavier valves and/or guys with the hollow stem intake valve that are looking for slightly longer valve spring longevity from a milder lobe at the cost of a few hp.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm really temted by the Stage 1 Turbo cam. The LS9 cam is too peaky and lacks a lot of low end. It makes for sluggish response and a boring drive in the city. Can I use PAC beehives with the Stage 1 cam? Or do the lobes require high seat pressure? Would you recommend something else over the Stage 1 for even more low end grunt?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
I'm really temted by the Stage 1 Turbo cam. The LS9 cam is too peaky and lacks a lot of low end. It makes for sluggish response and a boring drive in the city. Can I use PAC beehives with the Stage 1 cam? Or do the lobes require high seat pressure? Would you recommend something else over the Stage 1 for even more low end grunt?
The reason the LS9 cam has no low end and feels sluggish and peaky is from the very early exhaust valve open event and that it has no overlap. In fact it has -20* overlap @.050".

You could probably get away with the PAC beehives, but I don't like chancing anything. You'd be best to run a set of BTR "Platinum" springs, or have me do you a custom cam for those springs like I did for Denmah and a few other members that didn't want to run a dual spring.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

All this custom grind talk makes me wanna get one. Wondering how much I could actually gain over my current cam to justify $400. Hummmmmm...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
All this custom grind talk makes me wanna get one. Wondering how much I could actually gain over my current cam to justify $400. Hummmmmm...
Only way to find out is to dyno yours the way it sits now, swap the cam and head back to the dyno to try again!

Honestly though, I'd have to review your current set-up, your current cam tune-up etc. to see if it'd be worth it to justify the cost and labor to swap cams. I'll be the first person to tell you if it isn't worth it.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Question for you. My pops is working on his G body Malibu and is running a forged 370 with a stock set of LSA's with stock size Manley intake and exhaust valves along with a set of BTR .660 spring kit. Turbo kit will consist of a s480 96mm wheel and will be running a Holley Hi-ram.

Would one of those off the shelf cams work with these LSA's or would you recommend custom grind??

Strictly an 1/8 mile race car
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slowlsx
Question for you. My pops is working on his G body Malibu and is running a forged 370 with a stock set of LSA's with stock size Manley intake and exhaust valves along with a set of BTR .660 spring kit. Turbo kit will consist of a s480 96mm wheel and will be running a Holley Hi-ram.

Would one of those off the shelf cams work with these LSA's or would you recommend custom grind??

Strictly an 1/8 mile race car
One of the shelf cams would probably work just fine, but I'd like to take a look at the combination as a whole before coming to a conclusion so quickly.

If you don't mind shoot me a PM with your email and we'll work on something for him.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:45 AM
Teching In

Hi Martin.
I have a standard ls376 and am looking to turbo charge it either twin or single.

I am looking for upto 600 rwhp from around 450 at present at low boost

I want to gain some low idle/ speed characteristics ( never been that happy with the 376) and even after as much mapping, that's the way it is.

Which cam would you recommend,? how would my current cam perform do you feel?
Also for this power increase for the street are any further engine internal upgrades recommended

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by craig7L
Hi Martin.
I have a standard ls376 and am looking to turbo charge it either twin or single.

I am looking for upto 600 rwhp from around 450 at present at low boost

I want to gain some low idle/ speed characteristics ( never been that happy with the 376) and even after as much mapping, that's the way it is.

Which cam would you recommend,? how would my current cam perform do you feel?
Also for this power increase for the street are any further engine internal upgrades recommended

Thanks
So I take it your cam is currently stock or is it an aftermarket camshaft? Are you currently making 450rwhp on motor?

The camshaft in a boosted combination will really depend on the turbo(s) being used, the operating range where your engine makes peak torque to where it makes peak horsepower, intake manifold used, cylinder head port volume, intake/exhaust valve sizes, weight of the vehicle, gearing etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Hi Martin. I just put in my order for btr 660 platinum springs today. I'm running a forged 370, l92 heads, 8.7-1 cr, twin turbonetics 6665 chargers, just need to order a few other gaskets and i should be set. I'm running the stock ls3 rockers and bridges. I'm looking for 900-1000 whp through a 4l80e in a silverado with 35's I have a 3,500rpm stall converter. I'm looking to shift in the 7,000-7,200 range. the cam and some gaskets are all i'm lacking. lmk what you have in mind. Shoot me a grind and a price thanks Dan

Quick Reply: LS3 blower and turbo cams are here