Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

***LQ4 S475 E85 Non-Intercooled - Daily Driver***

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well damn... Sorry to hear this bro. Gotta hate when something goes wrong right when your soo close.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The piston is probably fine just throw on another 317 head and get back at it.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also found that my #4 cylinder hasnt fired ever... ive been on 7 cylinders this 2hole time.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

How do you know it hasnt fired? If you were dOing your own tuning a completely dead cylinder would have given you some pretty obvious signs.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Launching!

This is a gen 3 lq4 right? If so I have a rod and piston with rings and bearing in it that has your name on it. Its yours if you cover the shipping.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
How do you know it hasnt fired? If you were dOing your own tuning a completely dead cylinder would have given you some pretty obvious signs.
Youre assuming I know what Im doing. Im just making it up as I go... The wire was essentially cut and has just been firing on the block. The cylinder has a nice oil coating, which tells me the rings haven't seated. The chamber and exhaust port are super clean with oil and e85.

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
This is a gen 3 lq4 right? If so I have a rod and piston with rings and bearing in it that has your name on it. Its yours if you cover the shipping.
I appreciate it. Im just going to run it. Im cleaning up the burrs and seeing how it goes. Its getting rods and pistons, cam, and heads this winter so I really don't want to put too much energy into getting it back together right now.

I also just found the other screw from the TB in the #1 cylinder... woof.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, I got her all buttoned up last night after work... Started it, and there is a NASTY knock... I was so pissed. Felt dumb for thinking the engine was fine when it wasn't. So I went and did something else for a couple hours. Decided to try and diagnose the noise... found it was cylinder #1... pulled the valve cover and found that the pushrod wasn't seated correctly in the exhaust rocker! are you kidding me... another gross oversight... Fixed the issue(pushrod was fine, luckily) started her up, and she is just purring...

It actually makes me laugh now, listening to my old start-up videos... what I thought was just the sound of the cam was actually a dead cylinder... haha. because now it literally sounds like a stock ls1.

Such a friggin rollercoaster... Is it always like this?, or am I just an idiot..

I had her out this morning, tune is lean, now with an extra spark plug firing... so ill work on that tonight after work. Hopefully Ill be driving her around tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Great, everybody makes those kind of rookie mistakes when you don't work on engines everyday and even if you do sometimes. Lol You thought it was fast on 7 cylinders wait until you get this thing tuned on all 8!! Be glad you broke it cruising and not at the track!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
So, I got her all buttoned up last night after work... Started it, and there is a NASTY knock... I was so pissed. Felt dumb for thinking the engine was fine when it wasn't. So I went and did something else for a couple hours. Decided to try and diagnose the noise... found it was cylinder #1... pulled the valve cover and found that the pushrod wasn't seated correctly in the exhaust rocker! are you kidding me... another gross oversight... Fixed the issue(pushrod was fine, luckily) started her up, and she is just purring...

It actually makes me laugh now, listening to my old start-up videos... what I thought was just the sound of the cam was actually a dead cylinder... haha. because now it literally sounds like a stock ls1.

Such a friggin rollercoaster... Is it always like this?, or am I just an idiot..

I had her out this morning, tune is lean, now with an extra spark plug firing... so ill work on that tonight after work. Hopefully Ill be driving her around tomorrow.

I think you're the man being a "rookie" and undertaking a build like this. When I get the money to do my turbo build, I'm going to man up like you and give it a shot. I've got a cousin and a good friend that won't mind helping me out along the way, so I think I'll be fine. I find it inspiring that you were able to learn along the way, have issues and then solve them without doing any damage to your engine. I think that's what scares me the most; making a rookie mistake and doing a lot of damge to otherwise good parts.

I like how you did this non intercooled and I think I'm going to copy your build to a tee.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 137 Likes on 66 Posts

Man with a dead cylinder that thing had to be riding rough! Although when i had coil/wiring issues and number #7 wasnt firing, my buddy couldnt tell, i just knew something was up though, didnt feel smooth at all.

Good to see its up running again
Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
Great, everybody makes those kind of rookie mistakes when you don't work on engines everyday and even if you do sometimes. Lol You thought it was fast on 7 cylinders wait until you get this thing tuned on all 8!! Be glad you broke it cruising and not at the track!
Yea, I can't wait!

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I think you're the man being a "rookie" and undertaking a build like this. When I get the money to do my turbo build, I'm going to man up like you and give it a shot. I've got a cousin and a good friend that won't mind helping me out along the way, so I think I'll be fine. I find it inspiring that you were able to learn along the way, have issues and then solve them without doing any damage to your engine. I think that's what scares me the most; making a rookie mistake and doing a lot of damge to otherwise good parts.

I like how you did this non intercooled and I think I'm going to copy your build to a tee.
Thanks man, yea I guess it makes sense. im pretty used to holding myself to a pretty high standard, but I guess I should cut myself some slack, this is a pretty intensive build for learning as you go. Lots of up and downs, but overall its been a lot of fun, and Ive learned a TON.

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Man with a dead cylinder that thing had to be riding rough! Although when i had coil/wiring issues and number #7 wasnt firing, my buddy couldnt tell, i just knew something was up though, didnt feel smooth at all.

Good to see its up running again
idk, it really didn't...

but Im coming from a .700 lift 25x/26x cammed 454... so "rough" has a different meaning... this stock cammed 6.0 is like a kitten even with a dead cylinder.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having an over boost issue. Car hit 31# twice. During mid throttle(70%) low rpm(2000-4000RPM) pulls. Car spun, obviously.. Injector duty hit 120%, I wasn't logging AFR, neither of us saw it.

Im not sure what the issue is.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Car looks mean as ****. Slap it back together and make some steam
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 137 Likes on 66 Posts

Having an over boost issue. Car hit 31# twice. During mid throttle(70%) low rpm(2000-4000RPM) pulls. Car spun, obviously.. Injector duty hit 120%, I wasn't logging AFR, neither of us saw it.

Im not sure what the issue is.
Pull the gate off and see what it does or put the lightest spring you have back in
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What rpm is your 2step set at in those videos?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
What rpm is your 2step set at in those videos?
5000. with less than full throttle.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

5000. with less than full throttle.
Got the same turbo on mine with bumper exit also. Bought Martin's old 2step and installing it this weekend. Flames are on the horizon lol.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't be a build like like this without issues man. Seems to me you are doing just fine! Hopefully you got the boost issues figured out.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as said before there's always issues...trust me I know. Big *** learning curve and gets frustrating but it will be worth it soon! Keep it up
Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.

I took the car out today, sans wastegate and she didn't build an ounce of boost, so I guess the issue is in the wastegate itself. Ill figure that out today, and I was gonna make a new burnout video to mark the end of the season in Michigan.

Quick Reply: ***LQ4 S475 E85 Non-Intercooled - Daily Driver***