Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

~Procharger Build Write up~

Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ~Procharger Build Write up~

Figured this would help people out a lot on the future. This is a write up on all the parts you will need to piece together a procharger kit & pics and info on how to install it. Might take a few months to get this write up done...

I'll start with the complete parts list of things you will need and include info on why you need each part. A lot of the parts you will need will depend on the HP you are looking for!

#1 Head unit- There are 3 main head units from procharger. The p1sc (usually good to 500-550rwhp), The D1sc (usually good to 700-750hp), And the F1-F3 series (good from 1000hp-2100hp!) How much power you are wanting to make will be the deciding factor in which head unit you will need. If you want to buy new I suggest looking at Brute speed! If used search the parts classified's on here tell you find one that pops up. I paid $1300 for my D1sc with 3k miles!

#2 J-bracket You need a J-bracket with the mounting hardware to mount the Procharger to your engine. What hardware you need to mount your head unit will depend if you have a p1sc, D1sc, or F series procharger and also depend if you plan to run a 6-rib or 8 rib belt setup. I bought my J-bracket in the parts classifieds for $225 shipped!

#3 Bypass Valve This can depend on if you want loud noise and also depend on your power level. On 12 Psi and above a Big Red bypass valve is usually recommended and on anything lower you can use a proflow bypass. The bypass valve allows boost pressure to escape when your throttle blade shuts so you don't put that pressure that is built up back into your procharger head unit. If you didn't have a bypass valve you would likely tear up your head unit. I plan to run boost under 12 Psi so I went with the proflow bypass valve and got it for $125 shipped on ls1tech.

#4 ATI Super Damper harmonic balancer # 918853- You need to purchase an ATI balancer if you plan to run an 8 rib setup.

#5 Procharger Belt driven Pulleys- You need a head unit pulley and a crank pulley.. The crank pulley will be bolted to your harmonic balancer and will be atached to your head unit pulley with a procharger supplied belt. If you have an 8 Rib setup you will need an 8 rib head unit pulley, crank pulley, and 8 rib belt. 8 rib setups require you to buy an ATI harmonic balancer. 6 rib setups bolt on to your stock balancer... The amount of boost your procharger will make will depend on what size head unit pulley you get. I recomend calling Bob at brute speed and ask what size pulley to get for the boost level you want.

#6 Intercooler kit- There are 2 different types of intercooler kits you can put on your procharged f-body. Either a FMIC (front mounted intercooler) or you can use prochargers Twin Intercooler kit which will mount the intercoolers on the right and left side of the car tucked up where you splash guards are now. You can get an ebay fmic and custom mount it all yourself or procharger makes a FMIC kit that should bolt up directly with very little custom work needed.

Twin intercooler kit

Front mount kit

# 7 Fan Setup- You have to ditch the stock fans because the procharger sets on the drivers side of your engine and won't fit with stock fans. First you need a new fan bracket for your new fan. I recommend buying the procharger fan mounting bracket from Brute Speed. You will need a 16" fan to go with your procharger fan mount bracket. People have had problems with there cars overheating with the supplied 16" procharger fan so most just use a 16" spal fan part #30102082. It can be bought here at a1electric https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2..._Code=30102082
Procharger fan mount bracket

#8 Air inlet & Filter- You need a procharger ait inlet hat and filter to mount on the intake side of your procharger head unit. You can either use the inlet assembly designed for the f-body or use the bigger and bettery truck inlet hat. The trucket inlet hat and filter flows better and is cheaper! People have had trouble with the truck inlet hat staying on the procharger so it is recomended you clamp it on with a t-bolt clamp!

Air inlet hat

#9 Boost Gauge- There are many different types of boost gauges you can get. This is pretty basic and people usually just mount them with a 2-3 pillar mount in the car. I bought the procharger boost gauge from Brute Speed for a great price.

#10 A/F ratio Gauge- I have an AEM gauge. You will want to install the bung end of the gauge in your drivers side y-pipe just after the header and have it pointing at a slight downward angle in the exhaust. This is the spot it will read most accurate. Installing the A/F gauge will help you tuner out a lot and make sure you have the proper a/f ratio for your tune!

#11 crank pin kit- You need a crank pin kit to pin the harmonic balancer to your crankshaft so you don't spin the balancer on the crankshaft and damage it. I got my crank pin kit from Brute speed!

.... Pic of crank pinned with balancer....

#12 Procharger Oil- Prochargers are great because you don't have to cut a hole in your oil pan for oil feed. Procharger has it's own special oil you can buy from Brute speed or from procharger directly and you just poor it in your head unit and go!! It needs to be changed regularly. Most change at the same time they change engine oil I believe.

#13 Fuel system- Your stock fuel pump and injectors likely won't keep up if you're over 400hp so you need to swap them out! I am using a racetronix pump that is good to around 600hp. If you plan on going over the 600hp mark you probably need a dual pump system. What injector you get depends on the boost level you plan to run. You will likely need atleast 60lb injectors...

#14 Spark plugs- I am using Br7ef spark plugs. Once your boosted you need a colder plug. A br7ef works well because it is a colder non projected tip plug. You need to gap them at about .022-.028 or so.

#15 Tune- I recommend getting the car dyno tuned or street tuned immediately. If you don't get a good tune your engine will blow up. Getting a good tune is one of the most important things you need to keep your engine together once you're boosted! Do not skimp out with a crappy tune you will pay big time in the end!!!!

# 16 Stock parts that might need built and how to make them last a little longer! (Transmission, Engine, Rearend)

Transmission- If you have a stock auto and you want it to last awhile so you can save for a built tranny you need to run a lower boost level to start, set your shift points low, and have the tranny tunned for quick hard shifts! Once you are have the $ I recommend going with FLT or RPM to rebuild your transmission. They are both proven company's and sponsor this site! I haven't decided on which I will use, but I hear great things about both of them!
Engine- Now if you're running low boost and you have a good tune it is likely your engine will last a good while without a problem, but from what I hear boost is addicting and you will eventually want to push it harder! The ls1 doesn't usually like to hold together to long once you go past the 10psi mark, but if you plan to push it you can add meth, get a good tune, and hope for the best! I don't recommend doing this unless you have the extra $ to spring for a new engine! As far as what engine builder and what engine parts to get I can't recommend because there are just sooo many options out there and that's one thing I haven't looked into a whole lot. If you don't have the $ to build another engine just do what everyone else does and get a junkyard 5.3 or 6.0, swap them over the weekend, and start racing again!
Rearend- This is a part you can make last a long time if you stay away from doing hard launches. Auto's are wayyyy easier on the rear than a manual, so if you have a 6-speed and don't have the $ for a rear I recommend staying away from hard launches on sticky tires. Either way with the new found power it is another week point that could break so be prepared to build it as well!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
Here are some threads that may help you also.

Procharged cars 1/4 mile times
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ile-times.html

Last edited by sweet99ss; 03-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Alright well all the parts needed are above. Now I will start adding pics and details about all the parts I'M installing on MY car.

Here is all the parts I have. Pretty much all of it except the FMIC and the Fan. I haven't bought the Fmic yet and the fan is already on the car.
Name:  IMG9521091_zpsa8f4b20f.jpg
Views: 6259
Size:  111.7 KB

The only part I have installed so far is the Procharger fan shroud and the spal 16" fan. I bolted the spal fan on the procharger fan shroud. Then on the spal fan I spliced the wires and added male connectors that would fit in the stock wiring connection so I could leave the factory wiring all stock. Taped it all up with electrical tape and it was done. Only took about 20-30 mins to do it all including pulling the fan and adding in the new one.

Fan
Name:  IMG9553842_zps481286b1.jpg
Views: 5941
Size:  57.4 KB
Male connectors
Name:  IMG9506001_zpsb05a4f6a.jpg
Views: 5994
Size:  66.3 KB
Installed with plenty of room for the procharger to fit on the drivers side.
Name:  IMG956728_zps4b152a4c.jpg
Views: 6056
Size:  55.6 KB

Last edited by sweet99ss; 07-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good, nice to see a good procharger build with great instructions! Werent you the one wanting videos of peoples procharger setups?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WVhuggerSS
Sounds good, nice to see a good procharger build with great instructions! Werent you the one wanting videos of peoples procharger setups?
Yes I was. I figured it would be good to start a thread on putting together a procharger build how you want. You see so many turbo builds, but never any info on putting a procharger kit together.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Excellent. Great write up so far. Will use as a guide.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Awesome thread, i did wish one was made already when i started my build.

Keep up the good work.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking good, this will be a lot of help to many people. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-10-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up. Should help a lot of people on here!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Launching!

So what's the deal with the Procharger supplied fan, overheating? Really! How can they sell a kit with insufficiant cooling for 6K?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Nice write up! Lol is that a photoshop of my inlet pic?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Nice write up! Lol is that a photoshop of my inlet pic?
No idea I just grabbed it off google. Thanks for the pic if it yours lol!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 What
Excellent. Great write up so far. Will use as a guide.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ls1freak33
Awesome thread, i did wish one was made already when i started my build.

Keep up the good work.
Appreciate it! Maybe once it's all finished it could be made a sticky!

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Looking good, this will be a lot of help to many people. Bob
Thanks Bob! I hope you don't mind I borrowed a lot of pics and info from you!

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Great write up. Should help a lot of people on here!
That's what I'm going for.. I think you would see more guys going procharger if they understood how easy it is to piece a kit together. A lot of stickies on turbo stuff, but not much for the procharger guys.

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
So what's the deal with the Procharger supplied fan, overheating? Really! How can they sell a kit with insufficiant cooling for 6K?
I think some have had success with it. I just wanted to do it right the first time. It's really one of the only draw backs of the intire kit. With FI you create heat. You can always sell your procharger fan and buy the spal fan for $140. Not to big of a deal IMO
Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great write up, keep us posted!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05RST2NV
Great write up, keep us posted!
Thanks, I will! I think the pin kit was shipped today and procharger is only about 6hrs away so it should be here in a few days. Than I have to decide what I should do next!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Thanks, I will! I think the pin kit was shipped today and procharger is only about 6hrs away so it should be here in a few days. Than I have to decide what I should do next!
I hate to tell you this but I didn't receive a tracking number last night for it, which means they are out of stock on the crank pinning kits. ATI Performance Products 918993 will work, and you should be able to get one in a day or so. I can refund you for the one from ProCharger. I only had one in stock at the shop and it is on it's way to Guam. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just an FYI, the supplied 16" procharger fan works fine for me. I run the stock t-stat, and in the hottest days of the summer, with the a/c on, I never saw temps go above 205-207 degrees, which is perfectly fine.

It doesn't hurt to run a SPAL, but it's also not neccesary either. I think part of my success is I completely evacuated all air pockets out of my coolant system with a specific vacum pump setup.
I used this setup, which completely removes any trapped air in the system, which I highly reccomend people do.
http://vimeo.com/40361575
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ATI balancer has a key way and requires the use of their pinning kit which inserts the pin 90deg to the crank. You will have to remove the balancer to do that. The pic you have is for pinning a stock balancer. Also no mention of pcv modifications to avoid pressurizing the crankcase. Otherwise good info!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by flame
The ATI balancer has a key way and requires the use of their pinning kit which inserts the pin 90deg to the crank. You will have to remove the balancer to do that. The pic you have is for pinning a stock balancer. Also no mention of pcv modifications to avoid pressurizing the crankcase. Otherwise good info!
Yea from what I just read I see the side pin kits are known for shearing off. I just seen a thread where a guy took his front pin kit to a machine shop and got it turned down so it would fit in the ATI balancer. I will probably just have to do it this way. I don't want to put a side pin in and have it break off.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I hate to tell you this but I didn't receive a tracking number last night for it, which means they are out of stock on the crank pinning kits. ATI Performance Products 918993 will work, and you should be able to get one in a day or so. I can refund you for the one from ProCharger. I only had one in stock at the shop and it is on it's way to Guam. Bob
I think I will wait for the front pin kit to come in and take it to a machine shop to get turned down so it will fit in the ATI balancer. I see the front pin kit is much stronger so I'd rather have that.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by flame
UPDATE!!! Procharger has updated there front pin kits! Bob told me before mine was shipped out yesterday that he thought they had changed them a bit and he was right! I got my pin kit and the Jig fits right inside of my ATI balancer! So I recommend using the front pin kit for now on!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ~Procharger Build Write up~