Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Megasquirt 3 from EFI source engine dyno testing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be very interested in this, whether or not it had the trans control since I am running a glide. I like the fact it has the option of boost control and also 2step and staging functionality. Seems like this has come a really long way since MS1.

Out of curiosity, as I do not know much about the MS systems, does it control any of the vital systems - ignition or fuel delivery any different than a PCM/HP Tuners-type config?

From what I gather, I could grab this set-up and slap it on my Turbo motor with the P&P harness (I will possibly need the extension harness for the CAM sensor because its a LS2 Cover conversion), relentlessly harass you for a base tune and go at it? From what I read, it already has standard starting parameters.

I think I just sold myself on the damn thing...lol
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

As asked before, Yes the MS3 box from mike does have the knock sensor plugs already on it.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BanditDave
I'd be very interested in this, whether or not it had the trans control since I am running a glide. I like the fact it has the option of boost control and also 2step and staging functionality. Seems like this has come a really long way since MS1.

Out of curiosity, as I do not know much about the MS systems, does it control any of the vital systems - ignition or fuel delivery any different than a PCM/HP Tuners-type config?

From what I gather, I could grab this set-up and slap it on my Turbo motor with the P&P harness (I will possibly need the extension harness for the CAM sensor because its a LS2 Cover conversion), relentlessly harass you for a base tune and go at it? From what I read, it already has standard starting parameters.

I think I just sold myself on the damn thing...lol
When you say "staging functionality", do you mean Transbrake control of your powerglide, or just rev limits, and Anti-lag stuff.

Because I am not sure yet(I will have one soon, to test) if the Gold Box MS3 will do the same control, the same way, I posted about on the Transbrake control for the MS3pro.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...g-feature.html
Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by atomic 6
When you say "staging functionality", do you mean Transbrake control of your powerglide, or just rev limits, and Anti-lag stuff.

Because I am not sure yet(I will have one soon, to test) if the Gold Box MS3 will do the same control, the same way, I posted about on the Transbrake control for the MS3pro.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...g-feature.html
Oh ok...my mistake, I thought that the MS3 for LSX had the same transbrake control that you posted about in the PCM section...that is something I would eventually like to have.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88mmrocket
As asked before, Yes the MS3 box from mike does have the knock sensor plugs already on it.
sweet that is what I was wondering. thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Oh ok...my mistake, I thought that the MS3 for LSX had the same transbrake control that you posted about in the PCM section...that is something I would eventually like to have.
I know it works on the MS3pro,but

I don't know how close it is to the MS3x, or the MS3pro.

It's kind of in the middle of those two, both the original MS3(build-it-yourself),and the MS3pro have different firmware, and there is Alpha firmware for both of those, but until I get my hands on a Gold Box(or anyone else that knows how to load and use Alpha firmware) I can't say if it will work the same.

But by the time that feature makes it to the "stable release" firmware it will be useable on all of them.

BTW
***Alpha firmware is a very new instruction sets for experimental use only, and requires an Alpha version of Tunerstudio. The Transbrake "bump" was only added last week, and only to the Alpha firmwares.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Much appreciated Atomic. I may still go with it as it sounds like a nice alternative to the stock computer/HpTuners combo but still lets you have 2 widebands unlike the Holley HP which is the next closest aftermarket controller in the comparable price range...I believe.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 PM

In for more info!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

fuggin sweet! i wish i had half of atomic 6's smarts, i just know enough to be dangerous
Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Okay i got one for you guys i did a little search but didnt find my clear answer keep getting mixed results. Will MS3 run LOW imp injectors? or will you half to utilize a Low imp injector box?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Depending on the version, it will run low Z injectors, but only on two channels(bank to bank injection)

All versions will run low Z injectors with resistors(like the older factory imports use to do), or like you asked about with a driver box.

For driver boxes,Versa-tronics, AEM, or the DIY stuff from Jean Belanger(megasquirt guy), can be used if you need/want to run Low z injectors,

Personally I don't like using Low z injectors, the flyback voltage off of them always causes some kind of interference, with comms, or datlogs, or other sensitive electronics. And with the High imp. injector choices available recently, You would be better of with them.

High Z injectors are easier to tune, draw less power, and respond quicker. and the ones Denmah has linked to are just cheap(low cost cheap I mean).
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Teching In

yeah i was wanting to go to a 96# injector for E85 but i think i can stretch the 80s to 800 wheel HP at later date on e85
Old 08-17-2013, 03:13 AM
TECH Resident

Holy crap I want/need this. Do this particular setup support boost control as well?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any updates on trans control feature?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also curious what happened to the $700 version. The only thing close is the microsquirt with ps harness for like $800. I had a buddy ready to buy and I could not find anything other than the $1200 packages.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by IT_SS
Holy crap I want/need this. Do this particular setup support boost control as well?
it can support boost control i have never used it, it has tons of inputs and outputs

Originally Posted by NemeSS
any updates on trans control feature?
i was not able to get it working and abadoned ship, they are revising it and trying it in a LSX swapped jaguar right now, i am not sure of the outcome as of right now

Originally Posted by Sarg
Also curious what happened to the $700 version. The only thing close is the microsquirt with ps harness for like $800. I had a buddy ready to buy and I could not find anything other than the $1200 packages.
the 700 dollar version is the gold box by itself, with the pigtail harness you have to terminate yourself.

you can also get the microsquirt with open end harness for like 390
Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Link? Did not see that as an option. Maybe I missed it.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one of the gold boxes for $750shipped with the harness that you have to have to terminate but I don't know if they still sell them anymore but you could call EFI source to find out.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM

yeah call Mike T and just ask him he can do nearly anything you would like as far as parts and customizable things
they also sell pigtails, injectors, bungs, sensors, you name it
Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will the megasquirt 3 run the pantara style coils like the ones that aem or holley sells? I think Holley calls them smart coils or something.

Quick Reply: Megasquirt 3 from EFI source engine dyno testing