Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Slight oil smoke (?) at idle... working the bugs out..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
LMAO, this whole crank case vent thing is a new line for turbo companies I guess. In the import market I had a friend get the same line when his turbo started smoking and pushing oil out of both the exhaust and the intake side (which they said should not happen, but it was!). I really think there is just a quality control issue with some companies and they get these lines given to them to try to shrud it off in hopes that the customer will just go away or think it was something they did.

Also had a customer with a brand new Precision journal bearing that smoked from day one. Tried a different turbo in its spot, no issues. Sent it off to Precision for a rebuild, get it back, same thing. Despite all this he decided to get a BB Precision and that one with a restrictor had zero issues. Not sure what it is with their journal bearing stuff, but this seems to be a regular theme.
I nor anyone i know has had any issue with precisions.These are both BRAND new and they are both smoking... so what are the chances of TWO brand new turbos being bad?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, do a search, seems there are issues with Precisions smoking coming up daily. I have had 2 customers that despite my thoughts chose to run them. Both had smoking issues brand new out of the box. Now both also had higher volume oil pumps, so maybe that has something to do with it.

But one we switched (as stated above) to a BB Precision with a restrictor and no further issues. The other he sold off after getting it sent back to Precision and put a Borg in the EXACT SAME SET UP with the same drain, same feed, no restrictor and had zero smoking issues. Just my experience with them. I have since gone with the Borg Warner turbos and have not experienced these sorts of issues.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't want to turn this into a debate of the quality of precision turbos.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay when I purchased my turbos, the builders told me and I quote "Oil pressure for these turbos needs to be above 30 and no higher than 60, If you have more than 60 a restrictor is required". I have custom turbos using Garrett centers. Since you have 80 on start up I believe that may be the cause of your leakage, I would try restrictors, buy a few different sizes. See what sizes allow you to run without leakage.. You want the biggest size restrictor on it that won't allow leakage.
I believe since you have both leaking that that may be the problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam123
Okay when I purchased my turbos, the builders told me and I quote "Oil pressure for these turbos needs to be above 30 and no higher than 60, If you have more than 60 a restrictor is required". I have custom turbos using Garrett centers. Since you have 80 on start up I believe that may be the cause of your leakage, I would try restrictors, buy a few different sizes. See what sizes allow you to run without leakage.. You want the biggest size restrictor on it that won't allow leakage.
I believe since you have both leaking that that may be the problem.
what size restrictor do you run?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
Man, do a search, seems there are issues with Precisions smoking coming up daily. I have had 2 customers that despite my thoughts chose to run them. Both had smoking issues brand new out of the box. Now both also had higher volume oil pumps, so maybe that has something to do with it.

But one we switched (as stated above) to a BB Precision with a restrictor and no further issues. The other he sold off after getting it sent back to Precision and put a Borg in the EXACT SAME SET UP with the same drain, same feed, no restrictor and had zero smoking issues. Just my experience with them. I have since gone with the Borg Warner turbos and have not experienced these sorts of issues.
I'm running Turbonetics without issues and I'm running the HV/HP Mellings pump. It will bury the gauge at start up and never go below 50 psi hot idle. Mine are BB. I posted this earlier but was thinking just what you posted. PT being the issue not the feed or drain lines.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. Precisions are now garbage. I ran a 76gts for a year, no issues, my friend ran his for 4 years with no issues. 2 local guys have evos that are 2 of the fastest in the country, one runs my exact same turbo, the other runs a 6765. All garbage. Got it.

Fact is, i have a kit built around these turbos. I have 2 turbos that are brand new and as of today have about 25 min run time. Apparently they BOTH went bad instantly. Meanwhile people run ebay $200 chinese turbos, guess i should have went with them. So guess im stuck/screwed.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you have a really good crankcase ventilation system. Contact Mightymouse on here...he makes a badass one that is an easy install and cheap
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Moter
Make sure you have a really good crankcase ventilation system. Contact Mightymouse on here...he makes a badass one that is an easy install and cheap
Literally EVERYTHING is uncapped including the dipstick and oil fill cap. I never had a problem with my 7675 draining. What would cause the ventilation to all of a sudden be insufficient? Nothing with the engine has been touched since last year.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Try a restrictor and see what it does...process of elimination...let us know how it goes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't trying to be a hater just have been here a while and seen stuff like this....same problems by some of these guys as you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-now-what.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...o-rubbish.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...o-thieves.html
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it was one turbo doing it, then i would be suspicious, but both doing the exact same thing lends itself to being something else, wouldn't you say?

Besides, what other turbos would be a direct fit for my kit? Now that would be a nightmare..
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Try a restrictor and see what it does...process of elimination...let us know how it goes
Take this guys advice. . . TRY A RESTRICTOR. You have higher than normal oil pressure and it could be passing the seals on the turbo. Try the restrictor and see if it goes away. Report back here when you have put a restrictor in and let us know if it worked.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...t-exhaust.html
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man, that is the kind of discussion i was looking for. I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=566659

Seems to be a common issue with precision

Post 20 states about seal redesign...
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All combos are a little different. I've used restrictors, no restrictors, pcv, no pcv...all works...all depends on the combo..

You have oil backing up the return lines if it is a light smoke after warming up.

How did you change the return from the single to twins?

I would look at the return lines first, pcv second and restrictor last.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onfire
All combos are a little different. I've used restrictors, no restrictors, pcv, no pcv...all works...all depends on the combo..

You have oil backing up the return lines if it is a light smoke after warming up.

How did you change the return from the single to twins?

I would look at the return lines first, pcv second and restrictor last.
I have the driver side turbo draining to the old drain bung on the side of the pan i used with my pt76gts. The passenger side turbo drains to a new bung on the front of my oil pan. Both are -10 drains.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I built the FD the first few pulls it laid down tons of oil smoke and never smoked again after that. I would like to see you put some miles on it and see if it goes away. Most new kits need to burn off oils on the inside of the pipes as well.

I might have some restrictors kicking around f you need it. Otherwise Turbociv would.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be like people are stating that its burning off oil. doesn't smoke at first because exhaust isn't hot enough to burn the oil off yet?

Also a good test would be to remove the exhaust and start it and see if oil is coming out of the turbo.

Quick Reply: Slight oil smoke (?) at idle... working the bugs out..